Remote controller Version Unknown

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got my P3P.

In my DJI app (version 2.8.6 iOS) I am receiving an error that my remote controller needs upgrading.

I have downloaded and installed the new RC version (1.6.0) but the new firmware is not "sticking".

In the "about" section is shows that the remote controller version is unknown.

Steps I have completed:
Re-installed DJI go app
Re-downloaded RC firmware
Re-installed RC firmware (10 times, with both versions of firmware, and both downloads of DJI software)
Re-booted RC many times

I do believe my RC firmware to be version 1.6.0 but for some reason it is not recognizing that is is 1.6.0.

Any suggestions on what I can do ? Is there a way to fully reset the remote controller ?

Thank you,
Jon

I experienced the same thing.
The aircraft is updated via the little SD card and seems to update perfectly.
The controller is not updated any longer by using usb/sd card, but through the DJI app, and it says it's downloaded fine. then it installs fine and says it's all good. Then I reboot the controller and it says firmware needed and when you go the 'About' area it says 'version unknown' for the controller.

I phoned Techsupport. What an excercise in frustration. I felt like throwing it all in a lake after talking twice to them. Wow. I should've just asked my 9 year old for help.

They sent me a youtube video for help. It's a guy who starts out by saying what a pain in the neck firmware updates are with Phantoms. And then the whole point of the video is how to DOWNGRADE to the former firmware version. Which I did. Now the controller can't get a video signal from the aircraft. GREAT! So I ran the 1.6.0 update again from the ipad and it seems to be cool, just won't recognize it when I reboot the controller.

SO... I'm pretty sure the controller really is at version 1.6.0 and I'm pretty sure it's all good and it's just being whiny. But I am scared to go flying...

Any thoughts, anybody???? Jon, did you solve it?

Don't get too hung up on firmware versions and just go flying.

Did you really mean to say that? I thought the versions really need to be in sync and not paying attention that could be really problematic. If the bird updates and the controller doesn't - that's something to be concerned about, yes?

Did you really mean to say that? I thought the versions really need to be in sync and not paying attention that could be really problematic. If the bird updates and the controller doesn't - that's something to be concerned about, yes?
I'm still flying last year's firmware since they haven't brought in anything that I consider a must-have since 1.4 and they changed one that makes photogrammetry difficult with newer firmware.
Whether your Phantom is on this week's firmware or last weeks isn't anything that will be of much concern.

I'm still flying last year's firmware since they haven't brought in anything that I consider a must-have since 1.4 and they changed one that makes photogrammetry difficult with newer firmware.
Whether your Phantom is on this week's firmware or last weeks isn't anything that will be of much concern.
Yes, I realize that having the latest isn't always important (or even a good idea), but not being concerned whether the controller and the aircraft are in version-sync - isn't that a potential big deal or problem waiting to happen?

Yes, I realize that having the latest isn't always important (or even a good idea), but not being concerned whether the controller and the aircraft are in version-sync - isn't that a potential big deal or problem waiting to happen?
They don't have to. A firmware release contain a revision for the P3, the Remote Controller and the battery. Some are just changing the P3, some the P3 and the Remote Controller etc... Currently in the RC, the 1.6.0 is not from last release, it is older. What is important is that some P3 firmware require a minimum version level for the controller. You cannot use on the P3 the latest firmware and a very old version of the Remote controller.
You can see at DJI web page Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO, Phantom 3 Professional Release Note pdf. It will indicate for a given version if the remote control and/or the batteries need also to be updated.

You can check also DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help, section Firmware for "Reset remote controller if firmware won't install", that link to post 8 of thread Advanced - Firmware upgrade to RC not taking. It seems that sometimes not all components of RC are correctly updated and this trick should make the RC asking again for the update.

Any thoughts, anybody???? Jon, did you solve it?

MisterDavo, I was able to resolve my issue by updating my birds firmware to the latest version. Once I did that, my controller showed up as firmware 1.6.0 and everything worked together.

I recommend downgrading your controller first, and then updating the firmware on both the controller and bird at the same time.

Once completed, your screen should show the correct versions.

Now that I have updated my RC & bird, my app is telling me to upgrade my battery firmware.. Is that hard to do ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers