Remote Controller Battery

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could answer this question about the remote controller battery for the Phantom 3 Professional.

Is there a simple/easy way to discharge the battery of the controller other than just using it? I guess I could just leave it switched on, other than actually flying the Phantom but that seems like it would take a long time to deplete the battery to a safe storage voltage.

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you.

Bud

Unlike the intelligent flight battery, the internal RC battery doesn't need to be depleted for safe long term storage.
Plug it into an Android device that has a low battery, the RC will charge it. Use the SIM to practice, & discharge the RC battery at the same time.
Please have a look at some of the posts in this thread.
how to discharge the RC?

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I don't really know for certain. Perhaps 5 to 7 days.

Bud

Unlike the intelligent flight battery, the internal RC battery doesn't need to be depleted for safe long term storage.
Plug it into an Android device that has a low battery, the RC will charge it. Use the SIM to practice, & discharge the RC battery at the same time.
Please have a look at some of the posts in this thread.
how to discharge the RC?

RedHotPoker

That's not enough time to worry about your RC battery, it will be just fine. Go and enjoy yourself, and forget about it. ;-)

RedHotPoker

What makes you say that? Its also a lipo battery, its not LifePo4 or ICR (Li-phosphate)
as one might expect, so the same chemistry and principles apply. Storing fully charged for prolonged periods will affect the transmitter battery capacity just as well.

If you look for info on it, there's very little. So it can't be an issue.
I have not read about any maladies concerning them. Have you?

RedHotPoker

Ive seen the battery, its clearly marked as a regular 2S lithium polymer battery. Thats all I need to know. Storing lipo's fully charged long term is harmful for all of them.

Besides the lipo in my AC, I have a lipo in my controller, a lipo in my range extender, a lipo for my amps. I think what RHP is getting at is life is too short to worry about things that aren't worthy of worry - including these little relatively cheap batteries. And I haven't run across any threads where people have complained that their controller battery is damaged due to ... whatever.

Besides the lipo in my AC, I have a lipo in my controller, a lipo in my range extender, a lipo for my amps. I think what RHP is getting at is life is too short to worry about things that aren't worthy of worry - including these little relatively cheap batteries. And I haven't run across any threads where people have complained that their controller battery is damaged due to ... whatever.

That's my thoughts exactly. There are folks here who have left the RC sit idle for several months. Not one of them have ever come forward with complaints or stories of woe. If you have seen any, please share.
DJI don't make any references in the manuals about RC battery care, or maintenance. Why not?

RedHotPoker

The TX battery tends to last a really long time to begin with. Something like 50 flight batteries. So even if the battery capacity was reduced by half or two thirds, you might not care or even notice if you only have a few flight batteries and frequently charge the tx along with the flight batteries. In that sense, you may not need to worry about it, but that doesnt change the facts of their chemistry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj