Remote control the GoPro while flying?

Reaction score
So yesterday i flew 4 batteries worth of Phantom time. Fun! On my last flight, i got a little more daring and flew some great areas. I have a small monitor attached to the DJI controller so I can FPV the footage from the GoPro. I noticed on the top of the little monitor that i forgot to hit the record button on the gopro (the footage timer was not increasing). I was pretty high up and since it was my last battery, i did not have time to land and take off again. I have made this mistake before. So....

It would have been great if I could have remotely triggered the record button on the GoPro. Is that possible while flying?

No way to start it once its off. I still forget countless times to start recordering lol. Really annoying when you just flew some great shots and on you last battery! Grrrr

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Bummer! My young son was wearing the fatshark goggles. I was using the small LCD monitor. I really wish i hit record to show him the video on the TV afterwards. O well. Thanks for the reply. Not sure why the simple act of hitting record remotely would not work. Seems like a no brainer. Maybe i am missing something.

windrockwater said:
Bummer! My young son was wearing the fatshark goggles. I was using the small LCD monitor. I really wish i hit record to show him the video on the TV afterwards. O well. Thanks for the reply. Not sure why the simple act of hitting record remotely would not work. Seems like a no brainer. Maybe i am missing something.

The wifi remote on the Gopro series works in the same range of frequencies as the controller on nearly all the Phantoms and there is a chance of interference.
I used the wifi remote before I knew otherwise but now I wouldn't risk the £600 worth of gear under the Phantom.
I just press record before taking off and then just edit afterwards

I'm guilty of this as well from time to time mainly because I'm just excited to get off the ground and start flying. This might seem like overkill, but I think a simple checklist that you print out and keep with you would go along way. After all, the more accessories (FPV, etc.) you start putting on, the more complicated things get.

Ex:
1. Power on GoPro, begin recording
2. Power on RC
3. Power on Phantom
4. Power on FPV monitor
5. Wait for geolocation (green lights)

Pilots use this for good reason. I don't see much difference, in concept, with what we're doing... just a thought.

windrockwater said:
Sorry, it didn't click that its was the GoPro wifi you were referring to. I assumed when you said FPV that you meant what we understand as FPV with seperate video from a transmitter. Like others have said do not use the GoPro wifi while flying. It is well documented that it can mess up - big time - your control of the craft as its on the same control frequency.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20