Reinforcement plates

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the stress crack issue was resolved or phantom 3 models sold from last year, or the plates still advisable?

While it's not something that happens to a majority of Phantom owners, this issue was never completely resolved. Some people do install plates as a preventative measure. There is no evidence to show how effective they are though.

just inspect around the screws every so often. If you find cracks, seal them up with some plast-aid.

an email I received from DJI a few weeks back after asking about stress cracks said, stress cracks do happen across all the phantom 3 range, however it is a small percentage and is usually a cause of flying in adverse weather conditions or extreme cold making the plastic brittle.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
an email I received from DJI a few weeks back after asking about stress cracks said, stress cracks do happen across all the phantom 3 range, however it is a small percentage and is usually a cause of flying in adverse weather conditions or extreme cold making the plastic brittle.

Great info, thank you. I'm not passionate about flying in the winter if it's going to be a problem. Sure I like the odd fresh new fallen snow shot, but I'm happier to fly in warmer weather if it keeps the bird (and me) happier!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

DJI - sorry are passing the buck on that with their answer.

There are plenty of alternative models, even toys from WL etc. that DO NOT crack in winter extremes ... plastic toys and items that survive it.

I have cracks on one arm of my P3S ... and they are not due to hits or mishaps that would cause COLD plastic to crack. It is poor design having stress from powerful motors on thin plastic area.

My remedy was to take knife and clean the cracks carefully then smear PU glue and a water mist to speed up curing. The PU glue .... (one of the Brand names is Gorilla Glue) then expands into the cracks binding the plastic. While this is happening - tape is applied to keep everything correct. Once set - knife and sandpaper to smooth.

Another method is to use MEK model plastic solvent glue ... carefully applied with a tiny brush it melts the plastic to 'weld' the joint. Any Plastic modeller can describe / suggest brand to use.

I have plates on their way and will be fitting. I also have prop guards with integral plates - but decided against them avoiding back-pack problems.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj