Regretting P3A purchase

Reaction score
So I bought a P2 Vision plus and crashed it. Tore the camera off at the lower swivel and cracked the ceramic Gps antenna. I realized I should have gotten more practice. I then bought a standard p2 to practice (not cheap but cheaper then a P3P. I got a sweet deal on a P3A so I rushed into a purchase. From what I am reading you can't just click on the map for and select points for waypoint flying like the P2 vision. Makes no sense to me that you have to fly the route and save it first. I have a ton of questions but I will start with just a few.

Is the waypoint feature on P2 still working with selecting points on the map or has that been disabled?
Can the P3 do that with a different app?
Haven't taken P3 up yet but while playing around with it without rotors on I noticed that if you hold the left stick down (towards you) in kills the motors. Does that happen when airborne?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Haven't taken P3 up yet but while playing around with it without rotors on I noticed that if you hold the left stick down (towards you) in kills the motors. Does that happen when airborne?
No It will not do it in the air with one stick. But your other p2 did the same thing you just didn't know it
This is the best way to shut the motors down when landing as a CsC will cause a burst off power and often tip the phantom over.

Is the waypoint feature on P2 still working with selecting points on the map or has that been disabled?

I don't own a P2 so couldn't tell you, but I don't think DJI would disable that feature on the P2 due to disabling it on the P3. The P3 can do it with a different app. A new app that is getting released soon called Airnest has the ability to draw a line on a map of where you want your P3 to fly without having to fly the route to set waypoints. The Airnest team is fairly active within Phantom Pilots so check them out

Popular misconception that comes up frequently.
DJI designers who are smart enough to design the P3 are smart enough that they would not have it crash when you descend for >3 secs.
The manual doesn't suggest anything like that. Here's what it does say
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

If you are high enough you can hold the left stick down for 33 seconds and it still won't stop the motors until you have landed.
That's what the manual says and that's the way it works.
Hundreds of pilots have tested and confirmed this.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.

If the waypoints planning on a map is that important you can buy the Litchi app which has it.
I find there's less need for waypoints compared to on the Visions, because you have much more solid radio link further away in any case.
It seemed to me the main advantage of it on the Visions was that you could mark out a flight beyond the normal (limited) range.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
It is my belief that DJI "regressed" on previous functionality to create an eco system for 3rd party developers to come into the landscape and create many flight planning options for the consumers. I think the issue is right now that we are in a period of time where a lot of the upcoming flight planning apps haven't been released so it feels like a functionality void. This should change in the next couple of months.

I should add that the SDK that allows these apps to work and the public firmware needed to run work with them just came out with the latest firmware so it is early.

Last edited:
So I bought a P2 Vision plus and crashed it. Tore the camera off at the lower swivel and cracked the ceramic Gps antenna. I realized I should have gotten more practice. I then bought a standard p2 to practice (not cheap but cheaper then a P3P. I got a sweet deal on a P3A so I rushed into a purchase. From what I am reading you can't just click on the map for and select points for waypoint flying like the P2 vision. Makes no sense to me that you have to fly the route and save it first. I have a ton of questions but I will start with just a few.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

AirNest is an amazing autopilot app that will be released soon to the public. You can draw a path on a map OR click a point to navigate to; pretty nice.

No, holding the left stick down will NOT shut the motors while airborne. RTFM (Read the "flight" manual ;) )

Thank you for all your responses. There's a lot to learn from piloting to the apps, how to update firmware, etc etc.

Now just sitting in place my gimble is getting super hot and it's showing overload. It hasn't even gone on a flight yet.
Yes plastic holder and foam is removed.

Thank you for all your responses. There's a lot to learn from piloting to the apps, how to update firmware, etc etc.

Now just sitting in place my gimble is getting super hot and it's showing overload. It hasn't even gone on a flight yet.
Yes plastic holder and foam is removed.
why'd you buy a flying camera if it's just going to sit there? of course it's going to get hot, it's meant to be air cooled.... you know, from the 4 spinning props while in flight. I bet if you feel the lightbridge/VPS unit, it's pretty hot too...

Yes but camera wasn't in motion and when your during software updates in will sit for long periods of time. Just didn't want one burn anything up. It was nearly to hot to hold on to

No disrespect Lawman, but while your "grounded" , u got a lot of homework to do. When you finally start flying you'll realize that experience is the best teacher!

Take it out an fly it. You can worry about software and what it does for eternity, and your drone will sit motionless for eternity, but you're gonna hafta fly it someday. And I don't think the risk is a worry since you 've bought two of them, so money is clearly not an issue. Quit worrying about it and just fly it.

Reactions: John N Kronyak

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj