Registration - One Phantom 3S, mostly commercial, sometimes recreation

Reaction score
Okay, my Temporary RP certificate is printed, insurance is in place and I know I have to register my bird as a commercial sUAS - no problem.

When I register it commercially, the number assigned will have to be put on the bird - I get that. But I'm also registered as a recreational user and that number is supposed to be somewhere on the bird (and it is).

So here's my question:
Am I opening myself up to any potential problem or confusion having both numbers on my Phantom?
Or am I overthinking this?

(Yes, of course the obvious answer is to get a Phantom 3P or better, and that will come. But I need to have a few billable flights out of the current one first.)

Possibly overthinking, but its not your fault. When go go to registermyuas.faa.gov now as a commercial guy, they do not even ask if YOU were registered recreationally before nor do they link your information when you re-supply it. They DO want the aircraft to have its (NOW) unique number affixed, and they say nothing in anticipation of the idea that YOU (and not each aircraft) are already registered; I guess they didn't realize that we are going to have numbers all over the the aircraft now: ONE to trace you, and another to trace the particular AIRCRAFT (its serial number, and you as well). A bit redundant, except now each aircraft is unique in their system.

No doubt, it did not occur to the FAA that sometimes people pay, and sometimes people play. Both the recreational and the commercial sides currently require the numbers to be accessible on each aircraft. They must be on opposite ends of the hallway at HQ. No biggie. No worries.

So...At this point in time, if you already registered, you DO need both numbers on each aircraft until they realize their sort-of-lack of foresight that a bunch of us already have drones. Eventually they will add the sentence, "If have already registered as a recreational flyer, this new number will replace the old one on commercially used drones." Then again, there is the ever present possibility I am wrong. :>)

Last edited:
IMHO, its the same as the big boys, I can have a commercial pilots license and be flying a properly registered aircraft and do it just for fun. Every flight doesn't have to be commercial. It is the pilot's choice as to what type of flight it will be. the pain in the a$$ will be to keep any pictures, videos taken separated as to what type of flying you were doing when they were taken. Don't take pictures doing something allowed as a hobby flight such as night flying and later use them for commercial purposes! At the same time, as a licensed pilot flying a registered UAS, I can do things like fly closer than 5 miles from an airport without notifying them even if the fly is just a hobby flight. Having the license means that we're supposed to know how to fly there without creating a hazard.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic