Registration enforcement

Reaction score
The FAQ section on the website addresses a bunch of things. The only thing that it doesn't mention is who can ask for proof of registration. Also, does anyone think that they are going to jam up federal courts with unregistered toys? Maybe so. Just a question.

Since they made it a requirement to have before you can fly I believe local law enforcement can ask to see it.

Since they made it a requirement to have before you can fly I believe local law enforcement can ask to see it.

And since being a law enforcement person does not also carry the requirement to know the law, we can take comfort knowing that there will never, ever be any spontaneous transfers of ownership of $1000+ Phantoms to local officials.

But wait...maybe you should look at this...Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since flying without registration is "illegal"....that means ANY cop can take your Phantom on the spot. Proof not necessary.
Don't believe it? Read the link.

It's called Civil Forfeiture and it's as simple as a cop believing you are doing "anything" illegal....like being a peeping Tom with your Phantom.
In Florida it's now illegal (for drones) to fly over private property w/o permission.
No arrest necessary. No warrant needed. Proof not necessary. Just hand it over.

This is just one part of the slippery slope that everyone against registration keeps "annoying" everyone about who's fine with it.

You keep agreeing with government power grabs and eventually YOU will get snagged in the web.

Enjoy !

No, I don't believe you... Civil forfeiture still has to go through the court system. And being a Leo does come with the responsibility to know the law. A false arrest can lead to criminal and civil penalties. I think you are a bit over dramatic &/or paranoid. I really don't want to get in to some pissing match either.

No, I don't believe you... Civil forfeiture still has to go through the court system. And being a Leo does come with the responsibility to know the law. A false arrest can lead to criminal and civil penalties. I think you are a bit over dramatic &/or paranoid. I really don't want to get in to some pissing match either.
Registration is not a law. It is a administrative rule.

Attachments

• FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 212
That's interesting. I haven't read the document. I was under the impression the this came out before the registration. In the facts of the registration they mention civil and criminal fines.

And since being a law enforcement person does not also carry the requirement to know the law, we can take comfort knowing that there will never, ever be any spontaneous transfers of ownership of $1000+ Phantoms to local officials.

But wait...maybe you should look at this...Civil forfeiture in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since flying without registration is "illegal"....that means ANY cop can take your Phantom on the spot. Proof not necessary.
Don't believe it? Read the link.

It's called Civil Forfeiture and it's as simple as a cop believing you are doing "anything" illegal....like being a peeping Tom with your Phantom.
In Florida it's now illegal (for drones) to fly over private property w/o permission.
No arrest necessary. No warrant needed. Proof not necessary. Just hand it over.

This is just one part of the slippery slope that everyone against registration keeps "annoying" everyone about who's fine with it.

You keep agreeing with government power grabs and eventually YOU will get snagged in the web.

Enjoy !

FAA released a fact sheet last week for state and local government that clearly states that regulation of airspace is the exclusive authority of the federal government. So based on my reading of that fact sheet, Florida's law that you mention would be illegal and unenforceable.

That's interesting. I haven't read the document. I was under the impression the this came out before the registration. In the facts of the registration they mention civil and criminal fines.
It did. Yes, possible big fines ect. I was merely pointing out that unauthorized UAS operations, including unregistered aircraft is not against any federal law - against the rules, yes. Might be against a local law. "Applying any laws falling within the enforcement authority of the LEA in question"

Reactions: NEair
Calm down JK! A police officer cannot just walk up to you and seize your quad copter. If he/she has reasonable probable cause to believe a crime has been or is being committed, they can seize the quad copter and apply for a search warrant to look at the flight records, video, and/or photos.

What I did find interesting is that I was not asked for my quad copters serial number when registering.

Calm down JK! A police officer cannot just walk up to you and seize your quad copter. If he/she has reasonable probable cause to believe a crime has been or is being committed, they can seize the quad copter and apply for a search warrant to look at the flight records, video, and/or photos.

What I did find interesting is that I was not asked for my quad copters serial number when registering.
I agree with you on that but my question all along has been, since this registration is federal, how can a police officer enforce it? Will they have to hold you until they can get a federal agent or something like that?

I agree with you on that but my question all along has been, since this registration is federal, how can a police officer enforce it? Will they have to hold you until they can get a federal agent or something like that?
A local Leo wouldn't necessarily enforce a federal law. They could stop the violation from continuing, gather evidence and then provide that evidence to the proper federal organization.

Because the registration is for the pilot and not the aircraft.
Right. It's my understanding that it was done like that because the FAA has no jurisdiction over ownership of aircraft by foreign nationals. In effect, the FAA cannot control what they are not chartered to control. The FAA is responsible for US airspace and those who fly in it. Foreigners who are in the US may fly a drone, they may even purchase a drone. The FAA cannot stop them from purchasing a drone, but they CAN stop them from flying a drone. So, it's legal for the FAA to require registration of ALL drone pilots, but not legal for them to require a foreigner to register his drone. Because the FAA cannot have different aircraft laws for citizens vs. non-citizens we end up with registering ALL pilots but not their drones.

Last edited:
Remember these simple safety guidelines when
flying your unmanned aircraft:

• Don't be careless or reckless with your UAS
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of obstacles
  • Stay away from other aircraft at all times
  • Keep your UAS within your sight
  • Don't fly near airports, stadiums, or other people
  • Don't fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Keep away from emergency responders

Humm ... I now have to keep it away from myself?

Reactions: BigAl07
Drug laws are Federal and enforced by the local LEOs. There are plenty more examples.

Reactions: BigAl07
Local law-enforcement is responsible for enforcing federal, state, and local laws. The only difference is were the case is prosecuted (I.e. Municipal Court, District Court, or Federal Court). I conduct federal investigations all the time and I am a municipal LEO.

Did you read the link?
Are you familiar with Civil Forfeiture, Criminal Forfeiture or Administrative Forfeiture?

If I had a dollar for every time a cop didn't know the law (or abused it) I'd be having a free steak dinner at Outback tonight...and every night for a while ;)

Reactions: aka1ceman

Then don't.
But DO read the link I posted. Knowledge is power.
And you assume our judicial system works perfectly. Amusing.

Then don't.
But DO read the link I posted. Knowledge is power.
And you assume our judicial system works perfectly. Amusing.
I'm not going to place a wiki article under the banner of "knowledge is power." Our judicial system isn't perfect, never said it was. What's amusing is your constant anti-government banter.

I'm not going to place a wiki article under the banner of "knowledge is power." Our judicial system isn't perfect, never said it was. What's amusing is your constant anti-government banter.

Look,
This thread is about "Enforcement"
I'm just pointing out different angles.
Just because you may not like someone who sees it a different way is not a sound basis to call them paranoid or dramatic.

If you're opposed to wikipedia, then just Google it.
"Pro-government" banter can be just as annoying to some ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj