Registering drone with FAA

dewens

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Does it matter if you under Section 336 or Part 107? Or Both ?

If you are just hobby then 336, If you plan on selling or doing anything for pay then 107 .

Reactions: Oso and BigAl07
Reactions: dirkclod and Oso
Reactions: BigAl07
The government has no business knowing what I do for fun.

If you're going to play with the Big Boys in the NAS they sure do. If you don't want to be registered get one of the cheap Mall units that weigh less than 255gr and you're good to go.

If you're going to play with the Big Boys in the NAS they sure do. If you don't want to be registered get one of the cheap Mall units that weigh less than 255gr and you're good to go.
The government has no business knowing what I do for fun.

With all due respect, the government has no business knowing what you do for fun in your own home or perhaps in a public park. However once you get off the ground and are in National Airspace, they sure do. The government controls that airspace and for good reason. It is to ensure the safety of everyone in it and under it. Flying responsibly includes registering as required by law. Don't be "that guy" that gives us all a bad reputation.

Thanks for the correction, Fandom. I certainly want to be responsible, but if I stay under 400 feet and respect no fly zones as well as laws and acting courteous, what does registering provide?

Thanks for the correction, Fandom. I certainly want to be responsible, but if I stay under 400 feet and respect no fly zones as well as laws and acting courteous, what does registering provide?

You said "respect no fly zones as well as laws". Well registering with the FAA is a law. Plus you also said that the government has no business knowing what you do for fun. They won't be tracking you. No one is asking you to put a transponder in your drone. So they won't know what you're doing. In fact under recreational registration they won't even know what drone(s) you own since you don't register the individual drones.

If you are flying under Part 107 then again by law you absolutely must register yourself and each drone you fly. They still won't know what you're doing unless you need to request a waiver or LAANC clearance, and that is for obvious safety reasons.

You are participating in a recreational activity that affects more than just you and the space around you. Everyone needs to respect that.

I have no problem with any of that. Yet, since they don't know what I'm flying, where, or when, then what's in it for them? I don't have a problem with laws but I often wonder why they are there or what purpose they serve.

I have no problem with any of that. Yet, since they don't know what I'm flying, where, or when, then what's in it for them? I don't have a problem with laws but I often wonder why they are there or what purpose they serve.

Well then we are in agreement there. There are many "stupid laws" on the books. However it really isn't our place as citizens to decide which ones to follow and which ones not to. That leads to anarchy. What we can do is work to get those laws changed or repealed.

Seems very similar to me as the law in many states that requires motorcycle riders to wear a helmet. Makes total sense to me and it is clearly for safety. It's beyond comprehension really why you would ride without one. However many riders use the same arguments we just went over. "The government can't tell me what to do on my motorcycle" and "It's a stupid law".

Reactions: JeffreyS

Accountability when/if something goes wrong. Flyaway - FAA Reg # can help identify the rouge operator. It's really just that simple. We've been required to "Register" with the AMA for decades in order to fly at flying clubs and that costs $75/year so $5 for 3 years is a well of a deal IMHO.

Reactions: JeffreyS
Corrrect me if i"m wrong , but I thought that if you are just a hobbyist, you did not need to register with the FAA.

You do need to register yourself as a hobbyist and display your FAA registration number on every drone you fly. One $5 registration fee covers you and any drone you fly as a hobbyist.

There was a period of time where the law had been changed and you did not need to register, but as of the new FAA re-authorization act, it is mandatory even for a hobbyist to register.

Reactions: BigAl07
Corrrect me if i"m wrong , but I thought that if you are just a hobbyist, you did not need to register with the FAA.

Well.... As of October 2018 all sUAS have to be registered.

You do need to register yourself as a hobbyist and display your FAA registration number on every drone you fly. One $5 registration fee covers you and any drone you fly as a hobbyist.

There was a period of time where the law had been changed and you did not need to register, but as of the new FAA re-authorization act, it is mandatory even for a hobbyist to register.
Wow! That's good to know. How did I miss that? That you very much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers