registering Drone from Canada?

Reaction score
Has anyone from Canada on here registered their drone in the U.S, I tried the online link doesnt work from Canada....I phoned the number on the website talked with a lady who said she would get somebody to phone me but im at work all day and didnt want them calling my cell and racking up a huge long distance bill calling from the states, she said would you like them to email you, I said that would be great but never ever got an email back from them, just wondering if anyone else has had success in registering from Canada and how did you go about it?

First, why would you pay long distance if some calls you from another country?
Secondly, why are you so anxious to register your drone that you end up calling another country to register with them.

In all seriousness, the registration is for US ONLY right now. Enjoy the freedom for now.

Ya I know its for U.S residence only but heading down to the states for holidays in March and wanna take the drone just dont wanna get in a lot of hot water flying it down there unregistered....

dont wanna get in a lot of hot water flying it down there unregistered

As long as you have proof of Canadian citizenship, you should be just fine if any LEO inquires.

FAA clearly states who must register:

"A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident."

Dont know about that one just read this.....
  1. Non-US citizens who fly qualifying models in the US must also register. Rather than a certificate of registration, they will receive a certificate that is a "recognition of ownership".

Last edited:
Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Dont know about that one just read this.....
  1. Non-US citizens who fly qualifying models in the US must also register. Rather than a certificate of registration, they will receive a certificate that is a "recognition of ownership".

You need to read the above excerpt in the context of another excerpt from the same regulation, see below.
FAA clearly states who must register:
"A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident."

In all likelihood, the regulation was not written to address visitors, and as is applies to US citizens and permanent residents only. You are in the gray area. As with many cross-border things, if you comply with your country drone laws, obey the US rules of the road/air, and are a visitor in good standing, all should be okay in this case.

But ... to make sure, call again and make an effort to make yourself available for a call back. Try email as well ... there is a contact info somewhere on UAS registration site. I had a question and they have answered my email within 24 hours. Good luck!

EDIT ... FAA UAS contact info below:
If assistance is needed with registration, email [email protected]. Live phone support will be available starting December 25 from 7am to 5pm Eastern, seven days a week. Phone assistance is available at 844-244-3565.

Last edited:
I had a couple of conversations with FAA folks about registering my Canadian drone for use while on vacation in USA. They confirmed that a visitor needs to register but both were surprised to find that the website registration would not work from Canada. The last person I spoke to who was a supervisor of sorts, said that this was definitely a glitch that they needed to address and assured me they would do so ASAP. He asked me to call them in 30 days if I have not heard back from them before then.

Reactions: Trinimon
well thats good to know thanks for filling us in, Im hoping I can get mine registered befor the end of march heading the U.S then would love to take it with me guess I will have to keep checking the web site

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj