Registering a Drone as a Aircraft with the FAA

Reaction score
I was looking at the FAA registration site for a particular aircraft ( fixed wing pilot type) and saw several drones registered as aircraft! Can anyone tell me why this was done and what purpose it might serve? They had N numbers just as any aircraft would! just curious!

There are a few requirements to necessitate an N number.

Visit the FAA Drone zone for a listing.

FAADroneZone

Where do I register my Unmanned Aircraft?
Register your aircraft using this website if it weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).

Register an unmanned aircraft that weighs 55 lbs. (25 kg) or more.
weight-applicibility.png

You will be subject to civil and criminal penalties if you meet the criteria to register an unmanned aircraft and do not register.

Don't know about a requirement, but I registered my 3 phantoms and got N numbers just to add a bit more "professionalism" to the image. IMO, helps to reinforce the idea that they are real aircraft covered by and protected by the same laws as the big boys. Main difference was filling out the appropriate form that has to be mailed to the FAA office, no online registration for N numbers. Kind of a kick to see the nice neat N number on the bird rather than the rather long registration number they give you through the online process. Google "registering an aircraft" for info on getting, filling out and submitting the proper forms.

Don't know about a requirement, but I registered my 3 phantoms and got N numbers just to add a bit more "professionalism" to the image. IMO, helps to reinforce the idea that they are real aircraft covered by and protected by the same laws as the big boys. Main difference was filling out the appropriate form that has to be mailed to the FAA office, no online registration for N numbers. Kind of a kick to see the nice neat N number on the bird rather than the rather long registration number they give you through the online process. Google "registering an aircraft" for info on getting, filling out and submitting the proper forms.

And I hope you realize that depending what state you're in you may be subject to a tax because your sUAV may be recognized as a passenger carrying aircraft. I believe there is at least one poster from Florida who is currently fighting this battle.

I see you're on Ohio

Ohio Department of Taxation > sales_and_use > Vehicle_Taxability_Compliance > Aircraft

And prior to Part 107, wasn't it required for a drone to have an N number as part of the commercial exemption?

Yes prior to Part 107 and the Online Portal system we were required to get N# for each of our Commercial sUAS.

We did the same thing until middle of last year. When we needed to "transfer registration" I found out the hassle and time it takes to do that with the N# system. It took us 5 WEEKS to get one transferred with several letters back and forth and a notarized bill of sale. If it had been the "online" version it would have been so much easier. Now all of ours utilize the "long FAA Reg #" just for ease of use.

I still have my orginal N# aircraft as a "Hanger Queen" and it's very cool because the N# that I requested and got was our area code and my initials. N828AN

And I hope you realize that depending what state you're in you may be subject to a tax because your sUAV may be recognized as a passenger carrying aircraft. I believe there is at least one poster from Florida who is currently fighting this battle.

I see you're on Ohio

Ohio Department of Taxation > sales_and_use > Vehicle_Taxability_Compliance > Aircraft

I have heard of several sUAS Operators getting the "State Request" for taxes because they "Own a private GA Aircraft". Luckily NC hasn't done this as far as I know.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Mine have been registered for well over a year and Ohio hasn't asked for any tax money yet!

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20