Reflective Tape

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used reflective tape on their Phantom?

I recently lost my Phantom due to a flyaway (I'm sure it was purely my fault - as there was a huge cell tower not too far away) and spent a week and a half looking for the **** thing. No luck. I've since had a lot of time to think about different ways to prevent or help with a flyaway - should it happen again (hopefully not!).

I was thinking if I had reflective tape on it, it might make it quite a bit easier to find. If a person went to the location at night and used a good spotlight, it should hopefully be easy to spot. Using the spotlight would allow you to scan an entire area pretty easily.

Just wondering if this tape might cause any sort of interference and cause issues. Any thoughts?

I bought this for that exact purpose: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQ ... UTF8&psc=1

I flew for a while with a 3" strip mounted to both sides of the battery bay, and never had any interference issues or anything. Seemed to work fine in my limited testing, both while the Phantom was in the air and on the ground. Just like with most surfaces using that material, it increased visible range dramatically when an adequate light source was directed at it, a small AA-battery flashlight was what I used. Even in daylight, it would help catch your eye a lot faster than a visual search without it.

I don't use it for my Phantom, but I'm a big fan of 3M scotchlite reflective tape. There are a few dozen varieties with different colors and reflectivity, should be easy to find what works for you. And most are really quite reflective. If you want to go all out, Solas tape.

3yryqara.jpg

Would like to use the Solas tape on the legs below the LEDs on the arms. Is there a problem with interference and the antennas or the compass?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj