Reducing yaw gain

Reaction score
I find I am not as steady with the yaw control as I'd like for the filmmaking I do.
Has anyone experience reducing yaw gain for smoother movie making?

Would reducing yaw gain also change the rate of turn at the start of RTH?

Yaw gains will NOT affect the rate of yaw on your controller. Changing the gains will affect the way your bird flies. It can wobble and be unstable or it can transfer vibration to your gimbal and give you Jello.

If you want slower yaw control, look up yaw mods. This is where you install resistor/potentiometer to desensitise the yaw movements.

I am kind of dumb about some things Phantom so please be patient with me.
What is the yaw gain for then?

I have set my rudder expo to 30 and that seems pretty decent. Slowed it down nicely. I also use one of @J Dot's awesome plug-n-play yaw switches. Between the switch & changes to the expo settings it will yaw super slow.

Most of the gains controls are adjustments for the automatic flying of the Phantoms internal controls and not to do with the yaw pitch or roll from the sticks controls. Their is some minor adjustment but past experience has found to leave them at default. To get that slow small adjustments you are talking about seems to to reguire making mods to the RC units controls. There are you tube video that show what and explain this function.

The controller stick handles can be unscrewed and extended a little. Having a longer throw of that handle movement and a higher grip on that stick can give you a little better control over the yaw speed. Not a great improvement, but any little bit might help. Be sure to then unscrew the bottom half of the stick handle up to the top half to lock it in place.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video is not mine but a good example.

I did this mod. I don't have a whole lot of experience with electronics but this is pretty simple and straight forward. Once I have my phantom in the air I hit this switch and its the only yaw speed I use. The factory set is just too fast.

I have set my rudder expo to 30 and that seems pretty decent. Slowed it down nicely. I also use one of @J Dot's awesome plug-n-play yaw switches. Between the switch & changes to the expo settings it will yaw super slow.

Is there expo on the P2V+???
I thought it was on the P3 range. Also, you can now drop the rudder settings down to 0.20

Is there expo on the P2V+???
I thought it was on the P3 range. Also, you can now drop the rudder settings down to 0.20
I was referring to my P3 but wasn't very clear about that. Sorry, I am not sure if the P2V+ does or not. I have the yaw switch on my P2 Zen too. Works the same way, and I will occasionally unscrew the left stick a little bit. You can make the yaw switch yourself if you are crafty like that. :)

This is what really gets to me. What the f was dji thinking, when they designed the phantom!? That no one would ever want to control the speed yaw travels???

What is even more amazing is, that they is no firmware fix for that as of yet!?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers