Reducing weight of prop guards, worth the time & effort..?

Reaction score
I finally decided to install my prop guards, that have been sitting in the closet for months, & have begun making observations & notes on flight characteristic changes.
First thoughts was it just seemed to feel & look a bit Bulkier then the sleek smooth bird I've grown to know so well. Still plenty responsive & doesn't effect much changes in flight. I don't plan on using them much but glad I got myself comfortable flying with them attached.

So the question is has anybody put much thought into reducing the overall weight of the guards? I was thinking about drilling out a dozen or so holes simetricaly throrout each guard. Or possibly even removing the center straight piece between the outer hoop/ring. Would the reduction of weight be worth the potential gain in flight times &/or revive the responsitivity/agility?
It might just be in my head but after so many years of flying helis, quads & drones it's all about balance & minimizing weight wherever & however possible.
Anyone have thoughts to share on this?
I've even sanded down each of the mounting brackets that receive the quick release prop guards. As thin & sleek as I could get them without jeopardizing the strength & structural Integrity. Of course I even threw each 1 on a digital scale as to ensure they are all as semetrical & balanced to a 1/10 of a gram. (Yeah I get a little OCD when I get these ideas, I'm pretty thorough;-).

Is there a better or "best" Brand that is the lightest yet still functional & structurally substantial to serve their Intended purpose?

Have I just simply run out of parts to tinker & mods to apply or does this make sense to you guys? Be honest, if I'm overthinking & wasting time & effort on a $20 prop guard I can take that as an answer but if not I feel I might be onto something that could catch on....ultra thin, light yet strong carbon fiber options. Different shape or design that protects the props but doesn't just copy what we all have just accepted to be the "only option" out there.

Humor me please, is this worth kicking around a bit to reinvent what we've all just bought & accepted due to lack of other options

So all that aside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

First, many people here will just tell you flat out not to waste your time using prop guards. They seem to think these are like sails. I have the quick release ones since you'll never know when you might need them. It saved me from $$ damage due to a minor crash (pilot error). Glad I had my prop guards on that time. Learned not to do those maneuvers any more. I don't use them much these days but won't hesitate to put them on when I think they are needed. But regarding your idea, IMO it's taking it too far. I know you like to tinker. But if that is what you like to do, keep doing it. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My guess would be they are "disturbing" the airflow more than adding considerable weight to the aircraft. Anything in close relation to the props has the potential to create turbulence and this has your props trying to bite into crappy air. in some instances it's good to disrupt airflow but NOT when we're talking within the propulsion system of a Rotorcraft.

The only way to know for sure is to remove than and then attach something of equal weight of each guard under the motors in a way to would not affect airflow.

Has any one ever cut the center piece of the prop guard? I'm thinking that will drop some weight and maybe lose some strength, but theoretically allow for open air flow through the prop guards?

I just feel like i should be flying with them more often, but I also feel like they're so bulky and shorten flight time. I just want to optimize the purpose of them but don't want them to become a hindrance instead.

Am i just over thinking this?? Does any one have any personal experience with prop guards or any ideas/suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

had some but never used them sold them with my phantom 2 vision.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj