Reduced performance with gimbal question

Reaction score
I have the phantom 1 and am thinking about buying a cheap gimbal such as the gooduckbuy chinese gimbal. How will puting the gopro on my phantom change the quads performance? I know I will have shorter battery life, but how much shorter will it be (I have vision propellers on my quad)? Also, will my quad be less maneuverable? I am new at this, so any help I get is greatly appreciated.

Hello!

The more weight you add the less flight time you will get. A cheap gimbal and a GoPro weight about 270-300 gramms. I lost about 3-4 min of flight time...

About the manoeuvrability... it's still totaly manoeuvrable but it feels heavier... but anyway with gopro and gimbal what you want is a copter flying smoothy not a racing machine!

Cheers

Rather than going for one of the generic CNC machined gimbals consider the Walkera G-2D gimbal. I changed out my original Goodluckbuy gimbal in favour of the Walkera G-2D as it's significantly lighter. To give you an idea of the difference, when flying with the GLB gimbal on a standard 2200mAh battery I was averaging about six minutes of flight where as with the Walkera gimbal I'm averaging about ten minutes of flight time.

The Walkera two axis gimbal is about the same price as the GLB CNC gimbal.
Walkera also do a much lighter plastic gimbal but I'd recommend the metal one.

Regards

Nidge

Hello Plabick, Welcome to the forum. :D

If you're concerned about reduced flight time, you may want to consider the Multistar 4000 battery. Minor mods are required but flight time should go up. I've read of some folks using the Multistar 3000 battery as well.

Feel free to let us know where you are and your elevation. You might get better answers to your questions. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.