Red/Green Color blind - LED Swap?

Reaction score
I found a small amount of post about the LED status lights being red/green and affecting color blind pilots, like myself. My question is for any of the tinkers out there that have taken apart or have visually inspected the LED's or know anything about them? I would really like to swap them out with something like Blue and Red or something contrasting. Since Green is "GPS ready" I have had to ask my kids what color the LEDs were before flying or trying to figure out a flash code.

Any info on them would be great.

Thanks
Jason

upgraders said:
I found a small amount of post about the LED status lights being red/green and affecting color blind pilots, like myself. My question is for any of the tinkers out there that have taken apart or have visually inspected the LED's or know anything about them? I would really like to swap them out with something like Blue and Red or something contrasting. Since Green is "GPS ready" I have had to ask my kids what color the LEDs were before flying or trying to figure out a flash code.

Any info on them would be great.

Thanks
Jason

****, that is a tough one. Unfortunately I can't think of anything immediately genius to do.
Putting a filter over the lights might change all the lights, and then you might even be more clueless of what the heck is going on.
I want to say you could attempt to open the Phantom up and see if it's possible to switch the LED lights in there.
Honestly, your best bet might be contacting DJI. They might make one just for color-blind folks!

I've just both the Phantom Vision + and I too am Red Green colour blind.

Does the information in the DJI iPhone app show enough information to not need to know which colour the 'copter LED's are flashing?

I have this morbid fear of the Phantom not being able to failsafe and come home in a problem because it hasn't found it's home location before taking off.

Thank you

mine is on back order i too am red green color blind and would love another option

The Phone app, will show the number of connected satellites. I know when I hit 7 or 8 that the GPS is locked. I still haven't gotten a spare module to test with but I saw one up close and the LEDs are micro, which would make manually swapping them out a task, without the right equipment. Conversely, I would be glad to buy a set of already modded boards just to have the warm fuzzy feeling confirming a GPS lock. By the way I bought a pair of Color Blind lens called Oxy-Iso Colorblindness Correction lens on Amazon. You can buy the glasses too, but I bought a pair of the lens only and went to Eye-Mart, bought a $30 pair of SUNGLASSES and they do free lens fitting/cutting with any pair of glasses (if you by a prescription frames the cost is a LOT more) so I saved a lot for getting the lens only and a lot more on the frames and they work pretty **** well. The yellows look very yellow and the Greens look very green. But I would much rather wear sunglasses on a sunny day. I run a data center too and the servers will flash Red or Green LEDs to show which drives are bad, these glasses are lifesavers in showing me the correct failure codes.

-Jason

as a teenager i had a contact lens called xchromatic lens this is back in the 80's mind you it was a hard lens and i would agree with you i think it worked great but having light green eyes and the lens was blood red. needless to say children are brutal so i stopped wearing it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4