Red Flashing Compass Calibration Error

Reaction score
I am trying to get back to baseline after yesterday's mishap. While the Phantom bumped and fell (not very hard) it did fly immediately following the crash and other than the gimbal being ripped from the rubber mounts (easy fix) it flew back to the truck very smoothly.

Today, after reassembly and going over it with a fine tooth comb, I fired it back up and got the blinking yellow/red asking for a compass calibration.

I perform the dance, get the green on the first circle with the Phantom level, but cannot get it to lock on the 2nd circle with the Phantom on it's side. I just get steady flashing red after the 2nd part of the dance.

So I am sure the steady red is for the compass calibration, and some "other error" as the vague description states.

What is my next step in troubleshooting this and what should I be looking for in resolving it? What causes compass errors, and how do I address this problem?

OI Photography said:
Hiway, this vid shows you how to use a small magnet to get the compass back within working range:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo7Kf3uo93I

Thank you Ol Photography-

I thought that was for coming into contact with a strong magnetic field. In my software assistant, those levels Colin speaks of are well within tolerances and the IMU status states it is fine...

I will go ahead and give this a shot, and see what it nets.

If the values in the NAZA assistant look to be within the proper ranges, there's some other reason for the blinking red. Do you get any pop-up warnings now when you first connect to the software?

Negative @Ol Photography- but I need to try the magnet procedure as you suggested, and double check that I am within tolerances.

Thee is a chance I held the Phantom the wrong way on the vertical spin during recalibration... I cannot recall as I just flipped the copter and turned without thinking. I think the led was down, which is the wrong direction to be pointing in the compass dance.

So once I finish some tedium I need to work on, then I will fire up the assistant and see what the deal is- I have a few magnets gathered- a small one, and a larger one. This seems procedure appears to be an exercise in SWAG (some wild *** guessing)

Much obliged for the help thus far though.

I apologize for not getting back sooner.

My cockiness got the best of me- thought I was so **** knowledgeable from watching vids before buying this copter, I made the rookie mistake of not following basic procedure.

Ol Photography is spot on (as many of you experienced Phantom owners would have guessed) that I need to use the magnet to get the compass back into some semblance of normalcy.

Other than a strange anomaly where the usb port and connection froze and the assistant software would not recognize the MC for a spell, I am back in the saddle.

Now... to figure out why the one motor when changing a prop acts as though the threads are reversed from the stock DJI replacement prop (silver, or grey one)

...and no- before anyone suggests it, I am not confusing the cw and ccw rotations and props- it is just that one motor is very nasty- thinking the threads were poorly cut as the scuffed prop I took off felt wrong- the shaft is not bent either.

I feel a motor swap coming on- may as well upgrade. Off to look at what options I have.

Thanks Ol Photo man.... for your patience with this new kid on the block.

No problem, glad it was that easy of a fix! The finicky USB connection is not uncommon, I've found the port on the LED module to be picky about the exact seating of the plug on the grey cable (the micro USB end), and easily jarred enough to prevent connection.

Feel free to hit me up if you need any input/guidance with motor selection.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj