Red arrow on map (orientation)?

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive been lurking this forum for a while now and after a short time of flying I've finally decided to explore more of the Phantom. Recently I've been playing with IOC Course lock. Since Ive purchased this drone (my first), I always simply take off with me directly behind it and keep the nose pointing forward (no 180 degree rotations or anything) as I was simply worried about losing orientation. Today, I enabled Course lock and was amazed at how comfortable I felt however there's one thing I noticed; and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I assumed the red arrow on the map should always point wherever the drone's nose is pointing and automatically adjust however this doesn't happen for me unless I physically align the drone with the arrow. I could be standing DIRECTLY behind the drone with the remote and the arrow would be at a 60/90 degree angle. For me to correct this, I would have to physically move the drone until its aligned with the arrow correctly.

Since I'm a new pilot, orientation worries me so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. Am I doing anything wrong here at all? I have attached a few images to this posting to give you a better understanding.

I would appreciate any input/feedback fellow members can provide. Thanks in advance.

20150723_192700.jpg
Screenshot_2015-07-23-19-26-28.png
Screenshot_2015-07-23-19-26-48.png

In the top right hand corner of the bottom screen you have a compass, red pointer pointing North and blue pointing South, tap this icon to unlock it and the arrow representing the Phantom should then be orientated correctly.

In the top right hand corner of the bottom screen you have a compass, red pointer pointing North and blue pointing South, tap this icon to unlock it and the arrow representing the Phantom should then be orientated correctly.

Thank you Jay. I read this somewhere else about it being locked but will give it a shot tomorrow.

Btw, does this affect the flight at all or is this simply just to let you know the direction the drone is facing if its further away from you and out of sight?

Thank you Jay. I read this somewhere else about it being locked but will give it a shot tomorrow.

Btw, does this affect the flight at all or is this simply just to let you know the direction the drone is facing if its further away from you and out of sight?

it does not effect flight and as you mention it helps you orientate your Phantom when it is out of sight.

It's like radar. If you lose sight look at the direction turn the quad till the arrow points to home and fly forward watching the arrow get closer to your home position when over you the quad should be there too. RADAR!

Gotcha. Thats what I figured just couldn't understand the orientation of the arrow and how it worked... I thought it was some setting. Thanks again everyone!

I just did as you guys recommended and unlocked the icon however the positioning still seems to be off unless I'm not understanding this correctly.

Shouldn't it always show me the direction the nose is pointing away from the REMOTE controller at all times no matter where I move?

Please see pictures attached.

Pictures

Attachments

• 1437766686480.jpg
    1437766686480.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 713
  • 1437766753667.jpg
    1437766753667.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 657
I just did as you guys recommended and unlocked the icon however the positioning still seems to be off unless I'm not understanding this correctly.

Shouldn't it always show me the direction the nose is pointing away from the REMOTE controller at all times no matter where I move?

It show the compass direction on the map that the phantom is facing. If you rotate the remote with the compass icon unlocked the map will rotate in the direction the remote is facing but the Phantom icon on the map will always point to the compass direction it is facing. If you lock the compass icon the map will always stay with north at the top even if you rotate the remote, the phantom icon will still be the compass direction it is facing. The red end of the compass pointer in the corner will always point to north in either mode.

I think I may be confusing myself. Ill try to pay more attention to this while I fly. Does everything look good to you though? Is it best to leave it LOCKED or Unlocked? Thanks

I'm not sure if it would make a difference but I always do the following. Place the P3 on the ground with the nose pointing away from me, turn on remote control first then the P3 then open pilot app.

If you haven't already it may be worth calibrating the compass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31