Recreational drone use in Ireland - Irish Aviation Authority

Re: Recreational drone use in Ireland - Irish Aviation Autho

thats the most restrictive laws i can imagine .
just a shame all parks are out as well or "anywhere you can reasonably expect to see people"

UK laws are quite similar, but with an upper weight restriction.

You cannot fly in the UK over or within 150M of any Congested area. This means that pretty much any public recreation area could be out of bounds, if there are members of the public there, but if you have it to yourself, then that's fine and the limit reduces to 50M from people or property.

Both the CAA and IAA are waiting for European wide legislation or guidance, but the likelihood is that we will be restricted to permissive flying from private property.

Many people fly technically illegally in the UK, but find deserted areas where they are unlikely to run into problems. It's when we get close to the general public that the problems start.

TBH, I have stopped posting videos and just enjoy flying around areas that are not that picturesque, but are less likely to attract attention. I do have the bonus of a 10 00 acre site at work and also permission to fly over a large private estate, but I can't always travel as far as these sites, so find local areas I can walk to.

Dont worry about it, we dont pay much attention to them. The drone police unit probably only has 1 member if even. Fly with a bit of general cop on and its fine. Im amazed that the IAA havent tried to shoot me down with some of the videos ive posted online but it just proves how useless and how bothered they really are about it.

Im only after watching the video and thats the hack reporter Patricia O'Callahan that wanted to interview me and use my video footage in her report. It still hasnt been on tv yet and im sure she'll be using some of my shots as my agency has said they were enquiring about buying some of my footage. I told her i dont deal with her type of journalists.

Captain Niall Cummins is obviously right up to speed with this area.
He says that personal drones are generally less than 30kg but most would be as low as 2kg and as heavy as 18-20kg.
Someone should tell him about the best selling personal drone out there and how it comes in at 1.3kg and there would be a lot of other cheaper, smaller ones.
Phantoms would outnumber the heavies about 1000 to 1.
If NC has been involved in the formulation of these rules, he's got no idea what is really involved and is writing rules about something he imagines rather than what the real situation is.

Thats why i have nearly full contempt for anything they say. A bit of common sense goes along way. Nothing will be changing my habits. I broke nearly every all the rules in the book in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRUZF4AGNV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgeLOy5tge0

The shots had to be done. The City centre video was done at 5.30am on a Sunday morning to make sure there was nobody around. I will continue to fly like this because i know how incompetent they are around this subject. In the first video it was actually a police officer who dared me to fly down into the chimney because he couldnt believe how cool it was. The world has gone mad with rules and political correctness, im sick of it and quite enjoy breaking the odd rule or two.

Reactions: Electric Warrior

The next news item you will probably see on this subject in Ireland will be one of my arrest ;)

Reactions: beazo

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
The next news item you will probably see on this subject in Ireland will be one of my arrest ;)

Attachments

• Didn't do it !.jpg
    Didn't do it !.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 584

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Haha long time Dirk :)
Yep !! Them RE700's running wild here now ;)

Attachments

• You Know !.jpg
    You Know !.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 498

:D
MHL

Must see this video to maybe educate myself even more, but from what I know those rules are too restrictive.
Common sense is the way to go for me as well, why would anyone stop me from putting my videos on youtube if I don't get a single dime for it? Because what, the fact that you put it on internet by their definition makes it "commercial"? Bullocks!

Bottom line, you can use your rpas up to 400ft in height and out to 500m away from you, always maintain line of site. That is 400ft above land height not sea level . Use your common sense, don't fly over public/populated areas or fly within 8km of an airport , also its not written down, but use the common sense part and don't fly close to a hospital, coast guard/air ambulances can turn up literally out of the blue and people's lifes could be depending on them touching down quickly.

Follow this and you should be hunky dory, anyone who doesn't , should really find a different way to stoke their ego before they force the IAA to take drastic measures that impact the whole community.

Reactions: TeamYankee

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj