Record HD TV

Reaction score
Maybe not a question on a quad site, but it is "off topic." Reason for asking is the known fact there are many smart people with knowledge of electronics on this site. Some may remember, or even still own, a Sony DHG-HDD-250 or 500 HD recorder. It did and still does a fantastic job of recording OTA digital TV. Playback is in HD because it was recorded in HD. Since the signal from broadcast TV providers ended some time ago, this unit ended up with a BIG problem. No way to set the clock/date. That made scheduling a recording a little of a problem. The closest unit I have seen on the market today is from Magnavox, MDR557H/F7. The only problem with this unit is what I call an error by the manufacturer. It takes the HD signal and records it to the hard drive in standard definition. Playback is upconverted to 1080P to "try" to get back to an HD picture. Well if your older HDTV can only go up to 1080i, it just does not look very good. I know many would say just stay with your satellite or cable provider and continue to pay the high cost of that service. Can not do that.
So has anyone come up with "parts and things" to make a good HDTV recorder using their laptop or desktop and be able to play it back on their big HDTV???

Reactions: dirkclod
I know nothing.jpg

Hiya Happy! Where been hiding my friend? :)

Do a little research on these sites. I have had experience with them both, but not current models. Let me know if I can answer any questions for ya. The first link lets you watch and record. The second uses a hard rive to DVR programs. Both have phone apps, watch on the go, etc.

https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv

https://us.simple.tv

What is the source of the video that you want to record?

Hiya Happy! Where been hiding my friend? :)
Well, with sort of Summer showing up, I have been busy with warm weather things. We only have two months of warm here and 10 months of cold, so when it warms up you have to do everything fast.
I will check out the links, thanks.
Steve,
The post listed it was OTA HD digital from my "local" station(s).

Maybe not a question on a quad site, but it is "off topic." Reason for asking is the known fact there are many smart people with knowledge of electronics on this site. Some may remember, or even still own, a Sony DHG-HDD-250 or 500 HD recorder. It did and still does a fantastic job of recording OTA digital TV. Playback is in HD because it was recorded in HD. Since the signal from broadcast TV providers ended some time ago, this unit ended up with a BIG problem. No way to set the clock/date. That made scheduling a recording a little of a problem. The closest unit I have seen on the market today is from Magnavox, MDR557H/F7. The only problem with this unit is what I call an error by the manufacturer. It takes the HD signal and records it to the hard drive in standard definition. Playback is upconverted to 1080P to "try" to get back to an HD picture. Well if your older HDTV can only go up to 1080i, it just does not look very good. I know many would say just stay with your satellite or cable provider and continue to pay the high cost of that service. Can not do that.
So has anyone come up with "parts and things" to make a good HDTV recorder using their laptop or desktop and be able to play it back on their big HDTV???
Not sure if this is the kinda thing your looking for but they look interesting and don't cost an arm and leg to test.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW..._cp_422_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DV0MY2KXGCV4NB3BQ85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Air...te-/231543623054?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I cut the cable cord too. Couldn't justify the exorbitant prices when I can get tons of TV OTA (Over The Air) or even off the net. Man I miss Justin TV... ;) Right now I just use a cheapie PCI tuner card and Beyond TV software for recording. SnapStream discontinued Beyond TV but there's other good options some even free (opensource). I "still" have the latest version of Beyond TV for inquiring minds.. ;) Thinking about getting a SiliconDust unit though. Interesting subject. But then again, anything digital/computer/techno is interesting to me and I have a house full of crap to prove it.. LOL
BOT

Not sure if this is the kinda thing your looking for but they look interesting and don't cost an arm and leg to test.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW..._cp_422_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DV0MY2KXGCV4NB3BQ85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Air...te-/231543623054?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I cut the cable cord too. Couldn't justify the exorbitant prices when I can get tons of TV OTA (Over The Air) or even off the net. Man I miss Justin TV... ;) Right now I just use a cheapie PCI tuner card and Beyond TV software for recording. SnapStream discontinued Beyond TV but there's other good options some even free (opensource). I "still" have the latest version of Beyond TV for inquiring minds.. ;) Thinking about getting a SiliconDust unit though. Interesting subject. But then again, anything digital/computer/techno is interesting to me and I have a house full of crap to prove it.. LOL
BOT
The first one is an analog to digital for those old school tube tv's. The second one is interesting and should do what he wants. I may grab one for a 32" monitor I have, just to play with.

Black OT,
Both of them are very close to the unit I rcently picked up. A ViewTV-At163 unit. It "works" but with a few playback issues. In fact, I am watching Dateline that was recorded with this unit. I just ordered the SiliconDust HDHomeRun unit from Amazon. May take a week to get here. Will let you know what happens with that unit after a few days "playing" with it.

The first one is an analog to digital for those old school tube tv's
Yeah, but from the description it sounds pretty much like the Ebay one. I took this from one of the reviewers off the Amazon site:
[Not only does this converter provide an excellent digital TV signal for your old analog TV, it functions as a digital recorder and player of your favorite TV shows and other media. The USB port and your memory stick allow a convenient way to enjoy your recorded TV programs and play music, movie, and photo data]
They both look pretty similar to me. Since you might get the second one, I go for the first one and we can revisit the thread to compare. That's kinda how I wound up with a house full of electronics I guess.. LOL
BOT

The entire quote could apply to the analog > DTV. I couldn't find anything that says it will accept DTV in. Well, I guess we will find out if you grab one. :D

Black OT,
Both of them are very close to the unit I rcently picked up. A ViewTV-At163 unit. It "works" but with a few playback issues. In fact, I am watching Dateline that was recorded with this unit. I just ordered the SiliconDust HDHomeRun unit from Amazon. May take a week to get here. Will let you know what happens with that unit after a few days "playing" with it.
Well since you said those kind of units were giving you issues maybe I'll just stay away and go for the SiliconDust unit I was looking at on Newegg here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345015&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Devices+&+TV+Tuners-_-N82E16815345015&gclid=Cj0KEQjwz6KtBRDwgq-LsKjMk9kBEiQAuaxWUhuF46miGmbR6NuJfd7cZZ26_yb2g5tdZuV_63hzkkAaAsKu8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
It costs about double BUT it also has 2 tuners and is a **** good name brand item. Is that the same unit your looking at on Amazon? What software package you gonna use with it?
BOT

Last edited:
The entire quote could apply to the analog > DTV. I couldn't find anything that says it will accept DTV in. Well, I guess we will find out if you grab one. :D
Nope. HappyFlyer done scared me off... LOL
BOT

[ EDIT ] Scratch that. I've changed my mind yet again.. LOL Yeah, I know.. my decision making skills closely resemble that of a squirrel crossing the street. BUT, after looking at a lot of reviews on that Mediasonic HomeWorX HW150PVR on Amazon I pulled the trigger and bought it. It seems mostly suited to OTA use which is perfect for me. From the reviews, it seems to only last 12 to 18 months before it fails and may have tuner sensitivity issues but for forty bucks, that's still okay with me and for that price I really don't have too great of expectations.. Judging from the reviews it'll either work great or be an epic fail.. LOL
It'll be here Monday so I'll report back then.
BOT

Last edited:
SiliconDust is the manufacturer for SimpleTV. Do you have a spec sheet for the one you ordered?
Still digging up info on the unit. Here is some info on different models. I have the HDTC-2US one coming. I gave up Prime this Spring so I have to wait for s-l-o-w shipping. I will try it with Windows Media player. The one for win 7.

Attachments

• 71inqFnQ4kS.pdf
    163.5 KB · Views: 207
Some more info.....

Attachments

• US-Extend-flyer.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 243
Nope. HappyFlyer done scared me off... LOL
BOT

[ EDIT ] Scratch that. I've changed my mind yet again.. LOL Yeah, I know.. my decision making skills closely resemble that of a squirrel crossing the street. BUT, after looking at a lot of reviews on that Mediasonic HomeWorX HW150PVR on Amazon I pulled the trigger and bought it......It'll be here Monday so I'll report back then.
BOT
I got a good giggle out of your squirrel crossing. Had a chipmunk change directions three times in front of me the other day. He made it without being flattened.
I looked at the manual of that HomeWorX and I would almost think the same manufacturer from China made it and my ViewTV At-163. They put the guts in different cases. Many of the pictures in the Worx manual look VERY similar to the ViewTV unit. Yours here Monday and mine maybe Saturday. Difference in Prime and free shipping. Hell, they haven't even shipped mine yet. Maybe Monday they will put it on a pack horse and get him moving my way.....

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
I got a good giggle out of your squirrel crossing. Had a chipmunk change directions three times in front of me the other day. He made it without being flattened.
LMAO... I'd like to take credit for that but have to fess up, I plagiarized it off the net.. :rolleyes: Doesn't make it any less true though..:D
After comparing pics between the 2 units I'd have to agree with you. The back on both is almost identical. Oh well, like I said, my expectations are not really that high.. LOL Yeah, Prime is pretty cool even if it was something I accidentally signed up for (as has millions of others..) Hard to ***** though, it's the second time it happened and the first time Amazon canceled Prime for me AND didn't require me to pay for the shipping for the item purchased. So this time rather than look like a freeloader I just decided to keep it. LOL In all honesty it's already paid for it's self. It's the bits and pieces I order from China for the quad that everyday for the 4 to 6 weeks I'm like:
BOT

Last edited:
There are times when waiting for something from China can make you wonder. Some small package took so long when it is in the mail box I wonder what it is. Other times it shows up in 10 days. Wow! Price can also give you a wow now and then with a "part" bought in the US or from China. Recent small part with optical sound in and coaxial out was almost $30.00 in US. Part in other direction of coaxial in and optical out from China was less than $15.00. They had the same case they were packed in. Price included shipping on both. Just different name printed on the unit. China one took less than two weeks.

This is an example of the difference in Amazon prime and free shipping. Amazon still has not shipped mine yet. When most people want what they ordered yesterday, this sure is a slick way for Amazon to get people to join prime.:(

Just thought I'd revisit to give a quick review of the:
Mediasonic HomeWorX HW150PVR on Amazon

Amazon Prime, not so Prime on this one. Ordered it Friday got it today.
Unboxed it and without looking at any instructions had it up and running in about 10 minutes. Installation and setup is quick and easy. I let it scan for channels and was surprised to see that it found MANY more channels (OTA) than my 32inch Spectrum DTV. Played around with the menus and remote and my initial reaction is, WOW! For only forty bucks this thing is awesome. The remote is a little clunky to navigate but I can get used to it. Timeshift pausing live TV works great. Haven't tried timed recording yet..... Okay, NOW I'll take a little look see at the instructions.. LOL

I'll report back after I've had time to fully use and explore this thing but so far I'm very impressed. We'll see how long the honeymoon last's. ;)
BOT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers