Recommended SD card for new 3E

Reaction score
Good Morning. First time drone owner. What SD card is recommended for the 3E.

Thanks,
Melissa

Good Morning. First time drone owner. What SD card is recommended for the 3E.

Thanks,
Melissa

I use a SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB ( you could get away with a 32GB) if you are recording in 4K you need the card size and the write speed I would also format the card when it’s in the drone through the go app

Doug

I use a SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB ( you could get away with a 32GB) if you are recording in 4K you need the card size and the write speed I would also format the card when it’s in the drone through the go app

Doug
Hi Doug,
What u mean by, or how, to format the card in the drone through the go apps?

1 Yes formatting the card will delete any files on it

2 Formatting it in the drone minimises the risk of a reading/recording errors

I remove all my flight video/pics after each flight

Reactions: Crash-Test
Anything with a Class 10 or UHS-1 rating up to 64 Gigabyte capacity.
Sorry, but It does not really meet the reality. SE has 4K camera, wich needs at least 60GBs write speed.
Class 10 or UHS1 is just a fragment of this - 10 GBs is garanteed. Is often stated, that UHS-3 is enough, and in reality cards with this sign are often really enough, because some of them can write 60 GBs, but according the rule they have to meet the 30 GBs limit, which is not enough for 4K.
The sign of ability to meet the 60 GBs speed is V60, but only very few manufacturer use this sign.

EDIT:
Every GBs have to be replaced with MBs. Sorry for mistyping

Last edited:
Reactions: charlieb4
Sorry, but It does not really meet the reality. SE has 4K camera, wich needs at least 60GBs write speed.
Class 10 or UHS1 is just a fragment of this - 10 GBs is garanteed. Is often stated, that UHS-3 is enough, and in reality cards with this sign are often really enough, because some of them can write 60 GBs, but according the rule they have to meet the 30 GBs limit, which is not enough for 4K.
The sign of ability to meet the 60 GBs speed is V6, but only very few manufacturer use this sign.
Sorry but you need to go back to basics here- you have your terminology wrong In several respects.

Firstly you need to understand the difference between MB and Mb. B=byte while b=bit. A byte = 8bits so you divide bits by 8 to arrive at bytes.

If the P3SE requires a card to support 60 Mb/sec any card that can do 7.5 MB/s (i.e. 60 /8) will do the trick. Yes, you need to allow a bit for overhead so say 10MB/s to be safe.

UHS (ultra high speed) 1 compliant cards support a bus speed up to 104 MB/s. Any of the brand name UHS 1 cards are more than up to the task.

As to you your suggested 60 GB/s minimum requirement that is ridiculous- a 64 GB card would be full in just over 1 second.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlieb4
Sorry but you need to go back to basics here- you have your terminology wrong In several respects.

Firstly you need to understand the difference between MB and Mb. B=byte while b=bit. A byte = 8bits so you divide bytes by 8 to arrive at bits.

If the P3SE requires a card to support 60 Mb/sec any card that can do 7.5 MB/s (i.e. 60 /8) will do the trick. Yes, you need to allow a bit for overhead so say 10MB/s to be safe.

UHS (ultra high speed) 1 compliant cards support a bus speed up to 104 MB/s. Any of the brand name UHS 1 cards are more than up to the task.

As to you your suggested 60 GB/s minimum requirement that is ridiculous- a 64 GB card would be full in just over 1 second.

If you fill a 64GB card in 1 sec,,, We are all screwed

Firstly you need to understand the difference between MB and Mb. B=byte while b=bit. A byte = 8bits so you divide bytes by 8 to arrive at bits.

Sorry my bad, I wanted to write MBs which means mega byte per sec. Class 10 is 10MBs, and 4K need 60MBs.

Thats why you can't use UHS-1 card for P3SE

Last edited:
Sorry my bad, I wanted to write MBs wich means mega byte per sec. Class 10 is 10MBs, and 4K need 60MBs.

Thats why you can't use UHS-1 card for P3SE
No- your still not picking up on the acronyms- check the specifications- Max video bitrate for P3SE is 60 Mb (megabit)/second. It’s a little b not B.

UHS 1 is more than enough.

No- your still not picking up on the acronyms- check the specifications- Max video bitrate for P3SE is 60 Mb (megabit)/second. It’s a little b not B.

UHS 1 is more than enough.
Where have you seen this specification? I think this have to be false. I tried class 10 card, and the result was terrible laggy. Then a tried UHS-3 card, which had in specification 80 MBs write speed, bad regarding my messurement it was only able to perform 40 MBs write speed. It is enough for 2.7K, but on 4K video it is laggy, if the screen changes quickly.

4K video need 60 MBs top writing speed. May be the avarge data speed is slower, that can be the reason, that many sources say different values.

Where have you seen this specification? I think this have to be false. I tried class 10 card, and the result was terrible laggy. Then a tried UHS-3 card, which had in specification 80 MBs write speed, bad regarding my messurement it was only able to perform 40 MBs write speed. It is enough for 2.7K, but on 4K video it is laggy, if the screen changes quickly.

4K video need 60 MBs top writing speed. May be the avarge data speed is slower, that can be the reason, that many sources say different values.
I’m looking at the official DJI website and phantom 3 SE specifications.

Have a look.

It says the maximum video nitrate is 60 megabits/second which is less than 8 megabytes/second.

Many of us are using UHS 1 on phantom 3 Pro, 4, and 4 advanced/Pro without issue.

I’m looking at the official DJI website and phantom 3 SE specifications.

Have a look.

It says the maximum video nitrate is 60 megabits/second which is less than 8 megabytes/second.

Many of us are using UHS 1 on phantom 3 Pro, 4, and 4 advanced/Pro without issue.
This speed very much depend on compression ratio of your device. The raw dataspeed of 4K is terrible, you can check here:
Screenshot_20180109-093116.png

Data speed after compression is very much different on type of scene. If you fly in high altitude straight, no problem. But at low altitude high speed flight will be the compression less effective.

May be, the Professional is much more advanced in that viewpont as well. But P3SE with 4K video will lose frames in this scenario.

Other resolution of this contradiction can be, that many card can effort more, as its classification. If you can record good quality 4K video with class 10 card, it would be interesting to meassure its real writing speed capability. I'm pretty sure, it must be over 10MBs

Last edited:
This speed very much depend on compression ratio of your device. The raw dataspeed of 4K is terrible, you can check here:
View attachment 93181

Data speed after compression is very much different on type of scene. If you fly in high altitude straight, no problem. But at low altitude high speed flight will be the compression less effective.

May be, the Advanced is much more advanced in that viewpont as well. But P3SE with 4K video will lose frames in this scenario.

Other resolution of this contradiction can be, that many card can effort more, as its classification. If you can record good quality 4K video with class 10 card, it would be interesting to meassure its real writing speed capability. I'm pretty sure, it must be over 10MBs
It isn’t over 10MB/s... I wish it was.

From phantom 3 SE specifications....

06FABCF2-43FA-4927-9B42-25CDB76F85F3.jpeg

It isn’t over 10MB/s... I wish it was.

From phantom 3 SE specifications....

View attachment 93183
I know, that this is in SE specification.
Usualy I trust DJI specification.
At the beginning I trusted it in this case as well. I bought different cards, and made many measurement.

And my message is to others, that is nothing wrong with the SE, but this point of specification is false.

P3SE need a 60MBs card, thats why most users promise SanDisk ExtremePLUS

I know, that this is in SE specification.
Usualy I trust DJI specification.
At the beginning I trusted it in this case as well. I bought different cards, and made many measurement.

And my message is to others, that is nothing wrong with the SE, but this point of specification is false.

P3SE need a 60MBs card, thats why most users promise SanDisk ExtremePLUS
Do us all a favour and report back with the size of one of your 4K video files, including the total recording time.

Are you formatting 32+ gig cards as exFAT?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4