Recommendations on discharging idle batteries?

Reaction score
Happens to me from time to time: get all the batteries fully charged up, then...weather or something else interferes with my flight plans.

Other than plug in one battery after another and run the Phantom 2 on the counter, is there any other good way to safely discharge the batteries back to 50% levels?

Thanks in advance

damoncooper said:
Happens to me from time to time: get all the batteries fully charged up, then...weather or something else interferes with my flight plans.

Other than plug in one battery after another and run the Phantom 2 on the counter, is there any other good way to safely discharge the batteries back to 50% levels?

Thanks in advance
Back in the ni cad RC car days we used several car tailight bulbs in parallel

If you get one of the "Smart " chargers for lipo and other types, it has a discharge and then storage charge option plus regular chargering. Good investment.

The only way I know of to safely discharge your batteries is to let the Phantom idle. I've done it w/o load (no props), but it seemed to take a little longer. There are many opinions on the resting voltage, but I generally keep my batteries stored between 30%-60%. If I'm flying, I'll take my batteries down to 30%. If I'm just discharging, I'll go down to 60% only because I don't have the patience to take it down to 30%. I fly at least every other day, so my batteries are cycled often. Per DJI's instructions, the batteries should periodically be discharged down to single digits to maintain the charge accuracy. Not sure how much it helps, but I've done it a couple times as part of my battery regiment.

I also have a very good Hyperion charger to charge/discharge/store my lipos. However, since the P2 smart battery doesn't have a balance terminal (like on regular lipos), I can't see how a smart charger can effectively store or discharge batteries. I've tried, but it false-senses and finishes prematurely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31