Recommendations for ND Filters / CP apart from PolarPro?

Reaction score
I'm interested in any recommendations for ND filters and circular polarisers for my P3A apart from the $150 set from Polar Pro. Whilst it seems their product is quite good, I have a difficult time paying that much for something they've admitted costs them $10 to make.

Cheers.

You can find a list of commonly used lens filters here. I like the DJI and Polar Pro filters the best.

Reactions: AlPurvis2
The super cheap set is just as it says---super cheap. I bought them and they are lame. Easily scratched, easily marked and hard to keep clean. Not worth the money. The set from Taco RC with 5 filters looks like a great deal. The only problem is they are out of the 5 piece set. The set goes for around $85 and seems like a great deal when they are in stock. I put it on my wish list, I think they are worth waiting for.

Quality is important; Polar Pro makes a very good filter and offers excellent support (Dan Morris replies swiftly to emails). You can buy the filters individually if you want, including an ND32/PL, that is not offered in a set.

I'm interested in any recommendations for ND filters and circular polarisers for my P3A apart from the $150 set from Polar Pro. Whilst it seems their product is quite good, I have a difficult time paying that much for something they've admitted costs them $10 to make.

Cheers.
No ND filters are cheap except for cheap ones. LOL

So seems these are the main brands available:

- DJI brand ND4/8/16 (filter replacement. Glass)
- Snake River Prototyping (slip on. Glass)
- Taco Rc (filter replacement. Glass?)
- Polar pro (filter replacement. Glass)
- Phantomfilters.com (plastic/gel insert from what I can gather. Lightweight. Not sure if it's as good as glass?)

Wondering which to go for..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the Phantomfilter pack as soon as I got the P3A. I figured that they're worth a try for $25 (full set). They are.
They are fine in terms of image quality, but they're a little tough to remove from the phantom's UV filter. For this reason, I'm not sure if they'll last too long since I'll be repeatedly changing the filters to adapt to the sunny conditions.

I'll probably get a set of Polar Pros eventually. In the past I've paid $150 for single filter for DSLR lenses so paying the same for 6 quality filters doesn't bother me so much. I understand that you don't want to pay more than necessary... but if I stopped to analyze the manufacturing costs of everything I bought I'm afraid I wouldn't have very much of anything. As long as you get a quality product, just get what fits your need and move on, and have fun flying and getting great (smooth!) images.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm at the point where I hear the polar pros aren't of the best quality? I can buy the 3 pack set (ND4/8/PL) but I'm not sure if they are the best quality ones available? I think in terms of weight they won't be much of an issue which is good.

I've been considering the snake river prototyping slip-on ones but would have to import. And also I hear this makes the gimbal much heavier compared to others..hmm. I used the SRP filter on my Hero 4 and quality was perfect.

I'm at the point where I hear the polar pros aren't of the best quality? I can buy the 3 pack set (ND4/8/PL) but I'm not sure if they are the best quality ones available? I think in terms of weight they won't be much of an issue which is good.
If you are planning to shoot video in those recommended manual setting, that Polar Pro 3-pack is poor value. PL filter is not much use. ND4 is quite useless. Only the ND8 is useful.

I can only add my personal experience with my Taco-RC 4-filter pack (ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND32). Like I have said the ND4 is not useful, I mainly use either ND8 or ND16 filters.

If you are planning to shoot video in those recommended manual setting, that Polar Pro 3-pack is poor value. PL filter is not much use. ND4 is quite useless. Only the ND8 is useful.

I can only add my personal experience with my Taco-RC 4-filter pack (ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND32). Like I have said the ND4 is not useful, I mainly use either ND8 or ND16 filters.

Weird. I had the SRP ND4 for GoPro and it completely eliminated prop shadows appearing in footage on my GoPro.

Thanks for the feedback though. Will have a look at the ones you mentioned.

I can buy the 3 pack set (ND4/8/PL) but I'm not sure if they are the best quality ones available?
The 6-pack has an ND16, so it would make more sense to buy that pack instead (unless you're going to get an ND16 elsewhere).

I've been considering the snake river prototyping slip-on ones but would have to import. And also I hear this makes the gimbal much heavier compared to others
These work well and the weight doesn't seem to negatively effect the gimbal performance. The only thing I don't like about them is they are very hard to slide on and off.

Reactions: arizeda
I read somewhere that they were concerned that the adjustable filter was too heavy for the gimbal. Have you noticed any sign of strain or anything else with the filter?
Not that I noticed
not that I've noticed. But Haven't used it much.

Good post.. I use the 4 but it's really rare... The 8 and 16 or nothing is usually appropriate. I didn't get the polar pro because I believed I would need more than 4 almost all the time out here where the sun shines almost every day. I'm going to agree the Taco RC set seemed more useful for me. I have t been disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I picked up the neewar set, but I need a set for the advanced and a set for the standard.
I can't believe Dji has two different lens housings for the same camera
Bastards

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1