Recommendations for Flight Locations in Colorado During Winter!!

Reaction score
Hi Pilots,

I just brought my DJI p3adv to Colorado for some practice wilderness flights but having a bit of a tough time knowing some good places that I can [legally] fly to see mountains, snow, rivers, forests, ghost towns, etc.

Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

I live in NM, grew up in CO. Gads, you have almost the entire state west of I-25 to explore, where the mountains are. Once you get off the interstates and away from the larger towns, you have all sorts of beautiful remote country with very few people. You seldom run into others at the ghost towns, and most ghost towns were mining towns with nearby mines, headframes, ruins of mills, etc., and usually a steep, scenic mountain road to get there. Websites for that. Cautions would be the National Parks for NFZ, nor to fly over any campgrounds with people who could get angry. But, walk 1/4 mile and you'll be on your own. Might also checkout the excursion railroads in southern CO like the Durango-Silverton or Cumbres-Toltec railroads. Those old Baldwin steam engines makes for some great video. Good flying and have fun.

Reactions: njnow02
Colorado is pretty open to flying though the entire state . just about anywhere you go you can fly . just check for NFZ and restricted areas which should show up on your dji app .

Reactions: njnow02
@NM_Quad and @Immavrick Thanks for the quick responses. I'm also a Colorado native but the Politics Soup is constantly being stirred so one can never be too sure. Good to know about the flying however, I did hear that a couple fisherman has ruined the flying of birds over rivers/lakes because [the fisherman] would fly over unpopulated areas for better fishing spots so I'd rather be careful around those or go deep in the wood.

Do you have any thoughts on using the "Hover" app? It seems to be a lot better than the FAA one.

Thanks a bunch!

@NM_Quad and @Immavrick Thanks for the quick responses. I'm also a Colorado native but the Politics Soup is constantly being stirred so one can never be too sure. Good to know about the flying however, I did hear that a couple fisherman has ruined the flying of birds over rivers/lakes because [the fisherman] would fly over unpopulated areas for better fishing spots so I'd rather be careful around those or go deep in the wood.

Do you have any thoughts on using the "Hover" app? It seems to be a lot better than the FAA one.

Thanks a bunch!
I would sure like to see any info on not being able to fly over rivers or lakes in colorado ?? never heard of such a thing . since most of Colorado in public lands most of colorado is open to flying . so please send me the link where flying over water in CO is a nono

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj