Recommendation for P3P Sun shade for Galaxy Tab 8.4 pro?

Reaction score
After some initial testflights I am very happy with my Samsung tablet. It's time now to think about a Sun shield to reduce some of the glare. Looking around at Amazon, it seems for the 220mm/8.4" width of my tablet, all the ones targeting the Ipad mini 2/3 are to small (7.9" to 8"). I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a bigger one (10") when reading in some reviews they don't work (well) with a smaller tablet. Anyone out there using a shade with a tablet that is an inch or so smaller? As it is quite an undertaking to order one and get it to me in Ecuador I would rather rely on recomendations from someone already using one. The convenience of quickly returning it to Amazon is not a viable option for me.

There seem to be tons of them on Ebay etc for sale in various sizes. I think some are a bit over priced. What I'd recommend is looking at some photos and seeing if you can find some posterboard or the plastic sign board. Preferably black on the one side. Get some duct tape, a ruler and a box cutter and make one in a few minutes that's custom sized for your tablet. Some I've seen look as good as the ones you buy. I mean gee.. all it's got to do is block the sun for ya! Won't cost much and you can see if it's helpful.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I have the Tab Pro 8.4

Compared to my P2 and regular FPV monitors, the Tab is not good at all on a Sunny day. Most tablets are not good. Here is what I did:

- Matte / Anti-glare screen - you need to get it. It makes a huge difference. The exact screen I have is "Cailifu" brand and you get 2 of them in the package. They work GREAT. Big difference.

- I ended up making my own sun shield. White cardboard with flat black sheet on the inside. For better quality you should use plastic board like coroplast and it will be very sturdy. I'm using cardboard to experiment with sizing to see what works best, and plan to use corplast for the final design.

Most sun shields are 3 sided. I tried that and there's still a lot of light coming in from the bottom side. Covering the bottom side is what will make the sun shield from OK to good. Because we need to get our hand to the screen, my bottom cover is shorter and angles out. But it makes a substantial difference over 3 sided shield.

I made my own shade with a foam floor tile, work really well
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438310521.057410.jpg

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
thanks for the suggestions. Yes I have a matte non-glare protector sheet on my tablet, which already helps a little. Building something temporary out of posterboard might be an option. Eventually I like to 3D print something but the 3D printer is not completely build and calibrated yet ;) The floortile mod looks like it is working pretty well!
I have to find the right balance between Form + Function, meaning as small (and easy to transport) as possible while as large as necessary.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20