Rechargable Batteries

Reaction score
I've noticed that my Duracells in the TX are dropping voltage after about 10 flights. Not much at first but once the voltage drops below about 6 volts I see a dramatic change in the range of the TX. I read somewhere on the boards that the TX drops it power level once the voltage drops below a threshold. My question is: are their rechargeable AA batteries that will put out more than 1.5 volts at full charge? Most of what I find is that the specs on rechargeables are 1.2 volts with 1.4 volts at full charge - no good. Alkaline AA run at about 1.6-1.7 off the shelf but drop quickly.

I found these on amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/BPI-2500mWH-Vol ... +1.6+volts

But I'm not sure they are legit.

Anyone have any ideas for keeping the voltage high enough to keep the TX from dropping bower?

Good question. I was about to go and get the whole rechargeable batteries and charger thing thinking that it would save some $$ in the long run. I know alkaline arnt all that expensive but still.

z10m said:
They look like the same thing as the OP showed. I just ordered a set myself. I've tried rechargables before and was never very happy with them (many types are a lower voltage). These claim 1.6v and 2500 mAh, so they may be a good option. We'll see. The real question may be how fast the voltage droops.

Belay that! It says 1500 mAh, 2500mWh. That doesn't make a lot of sense, so I cancelled my order. 1500mAh is not a lot of energy. The advantage of this type I guess is their disposability.

So I went looking to see if such things as NiZn 2500 mAh batteries existed and there were loads of Google hits that dais "2500mAh" NiZn batteries. But they were all fraudulent in that they were 1500mAh/2500mWh batteries. The numbers come from the energy calculations. a Watt - 1 Amp x 1 Volt. so if you have a 1.6 volt battery with a capacity of 1500 mAh, 1.65v x 1500mAh = 2475mWh (a little bit of rounding and a bias to fool the public brings that to 2500mWh).

slothead said:
So I went looking to see if such things as NiZn 2500 mAh batteries existed and there were loads of Google hits that dais "2500mAh" NiZn batteries. But they were all fraudulent in that they were 1500mAh/2500mWh batteries. The numbers come from the energy calculations. a Watt - 1 Amp x 1 Volt. so if you have a 1.6 volt battery with a capacity of 1500 mAh, 1.65v x 1500mAh = 2475mWh (a little bit of rounding and a bias to fool the public brings that to 2500mWh).

**** - I was fooled - mine are on the way and I thought they were 2500mAh!

I'll let everyone know how they work - I might just use them once per flight and then recharge - that is if they maintain voltage for 2 batteries worth (~45 min).

Also, does anyone know if the battery life on the bird is effected greatly by "how" you fly? I assume that high speed flight requires more battery power (higher current?).

Looks like the only 1.6 volt rechargeables out there are about 1500mAh.

Does anyone know what the capacity of a typical alkaline battery (Duracell Quantum?) is?

Okay - now I'm answering my own questions :)

Duracell Quantum capacity is 3922mAh according to Home Depot.

However, they can't maintain 1.55 volts very long in the TX. I'm only getting about 5 2-battery flights (200 min) until I start loosing range.

They are not that expensive - about $7:50 for 8 - so if the 1.6 volt rechargables don't work I guess this is the answer.

I have been using the Ni-Zn batteries for about 3 weeks. They are fine, i bought them from Maplin along with the charger. I've had no range issues but i've 'only' been 2400ft so far :)

Like someone said, for the price, if they don't work it's not a massive risk, is it?

Has any of you had the alarm on the controller sound to let you know it's time to replace them? Mine does, and when I check them they are generally around 1.4v.

I believe the controller transmitter is regulated to 4 volts input, and the green LED turns red at 4.5 volts. I thought the same thing, that power output dropped as the battery voltage dropped, but I don't think that's the case. As long as you're above 4.5 volts, I think you're getting the same output. Today, my controller batteries read about 5.6 and I flew out past 4000 feet with no control problems, same as when new. I'll change them out 5.4, that puts each cell at about 1.3 volts under load, about where you would start to see a flashlight noticeably dim.

I use the Sanyo Eneloop XX Li-Po AA batteries - they are great and have excellent shelf life and power delivery.

bergenfelter said:
I use the Sanyo Eneloop XX Li-Po AA batteries - they are great and have excellent shelf life and power delivery.

I use Sanyo Eneloop High capacity ones whenever I can use em. I think it says 2550 mAh

Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA eneloop pro AA High Capacity New Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack by Eneloop http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSL28/ref ... Ytb1QEJ60B

Tails_Up said:
I believe the controller transmitter is regulated to 4 volts input, and the green LED turns red at 4.5 volts. I thought the same thing, that power output dropped as the battery voltage dropped, but I don't think that's the case. As long as you're above 4.5 volts, I think you're getting the same output. Today, my controller batteries read about 5.6 and I flew out past 4000 feet with no control problems, same as when new. I'll change them out 5.4, that puts each cell at about 1.3 volts under load, about where you would start to see a flashlight noticeably dim.

That's exactly how it works. Just like a cell phone. Same transmission power through the end

WyattEarp said:
I've noticed that my Duracells in the TX are dropping voltage after about 10 flights. Not much at first but once the voltage drops below about 6 volts I see a dramatic change in the range of the TX. I read somewhere on the boards that the TX drops it power level once the voltage drops below a threshold. My question is: are their rechargeable AA batteries that will put out more than 1.5 volts at full charge? Most of what I find is that the specs on rechargeables are 1.2 volts with 1.4 volts at full charge - no good. Alkaline AA run at about 1.6-1.7 off the shelf but drop quickly.

I found these on amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/BPI-2500mWH-Vol ... +1.6+volts

But I'm not sure they are legit.

Anyone have any ideas for keeping the voltage high enough to keep the TX from dropping bower?

Just going off topic for a minute.... You do know your avatar is Doc Holiday & not Wyatt Earp don't you?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj