Reception failing at 30 meters - video included

Reaction score
Stock Phantom 2 with 3 axis gimbal, iOSD, AVL58, HUB and Boscam 7 inch (tuned to C - 8)

For whatever reason I'm loosing reception around 30 meters. Clear sky, no trees.......pure line of sight loosing at 30-40 meters. Tried both stock and after market antenna as you can see in the video. The AVL58 does have a stock antenna on it. Everything is tight and batteries were fully charged. Any ideas of what I can do to REALY improve the reception? I was in the woods yesterday shooting a statue. At one point the P2 was 30 feet away, if I went behind a tree I lost all video. Everything else with the P2 is great.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbLLOba ... e=youtu.be

You are going straight up, there is a dead spot right over your head with those antennae, move away and it should get better.

You will loose signal behind any obstacle including trees

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
You are going straight up, there is a dead spot right over your head with those antennae, move away and it should get better.

You will loose signal behind any obstacle including trees

Maybe....but even at a 45 degree angle say 30 meters up and 30 meters out its about the same thing. Are their better antennas you could recommend?

Thanks

In your video some shots show the stock rubber ducks being used and some shots show the 2 cloverleafs being used. Which is it? If you are demonstrating a problem so others can help it would be good to be consistant about the demonstration. Having 2 antennae the same is not going to give you any advantage using the diversity mode. I would suggest using one helical or planar/patch antenna and the cloverleaf on the other then the diversity will use the strongest one.

However, I dont think that is your problem though. Even with the stock rubber ducks you should be getting 100m plus. I think the transmitter and receiver frequencies are not matched or set to optimum. First check that they are both on the same frequency. You can still get an image even though the frequencies are slightly different so optimising the frequencies is probably your first port of call in sorting this.

I have this setup and had tons of problems and it's all about antenna and tuning.

The AVL-58 and the Boscam 5802 are sometimes tricky to tune to each other. Try this... Tune to Channel 8 on the AVL-58 and Diversity C-1 on the Boscam.

Then once you get the transmission squared away get some good antenna. Helical for the Rx is a must... IBCrazy or FPVLR.com for the Tx

Thanks, I was trying to show I got basically the same results with the different antenna. As far as the channels go when I hit scan on the Boscam it always hits on C-8

FASTFJR said:
Thanks, I was trying to show I got basically the same results with the different antenna. As far as the channels go when I hit scan on the Boscam it always hits on C-8

I know... that's the problem. the scan just gets the first transmission which is not always the best. Tune to Channel 8 on AVL and manually tune to C-1.

If you want to do it yourself and find which one matches what channel... well manually tune till you see best picture.

d4ddyo said:
FASTFJR said:

I know... that's the problem. the scan just gets the first transmission which is not always the best. Tune to Channel 8 on AVL and manually tune to C-1.

If you want to do it yourself and find which one matches what channel... well manually tune till you see best picture.

Excellent! Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj