Receiving P4P later today. Have a couple Qs

Reaction score
I am supposed to be receiving my new p4p later today and I have read and posted in these forums for the last week trying to find out most of what I need to know. I only have two questions left. 1. I see a lot of posts about issues with the p4p and errors with the equipment. Can anybody reply to this about good experience right out of the box? I'd like to hear about people not having issues. 2. I plan on downloading the litchi app to do some fpv flights, (with a visual observer, of course) can anybody tell me if in the litchi app there is an option to scan the qr code to optimize the video display for my specific vr set? Some vr apps have that and some don't. The ones that do have a much better video display. Thanks !

Can anybody reply to this about good experience right out of the box?
I have a P3S, P34K, P3A, P3P, P4, P4P, P4A, Inspire 1, and a Mavic. All worked just fine right out of the box. That's the case for the majority of DJI aircraft owners.

Yes, sir. I'm just patiently waiting for DJI to send them to me :)

Yes, sir. I'm just patiently waiting for DJI to send them to me :)
What is your main reason for getting into the goggles msinger? Is it for flying flights for smoother footage? Is it so you can see things better which will allow you to fly something a little closer than you would with a pad. Just curious what main reason is to go with goggles.

What is your main reason for getting into the goggles msinger?
I'd like to try them, compare them against other goggles/glasses I own, and own them so I can help other people that have questions about them. I doubt I'll use them for a majority of my flying.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I have a P3S, P34K, P3A, P3P, P4, P4P, P4A, Inspire 1, and a Mavic. All worked just fine right out of the box. That's the case for the majority of DJI aircraft owners.
You lucky person. LOL Is it all work or is there some fun involved? To have a job that you love is most people's dream.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I'm a new P4P owner as well - and I too was paranoid for it to work out of the box based on the stuff I had read about online. Happy to say that mine worked just perfectly out of the box!

Reactions: Meta4
I have had 2 p4p's, the first one had a noisy fan vibration but flew with zero issues till I had an RTH mishap (my fault), $99 and 6 days later, Care Refresh replaced it with a brand new unit, fan vibration was fixed in this much newer SN, and it has not failed me. Could there be a failure out of the box, possibly but not likely at all. That being said, this is a complex piece of equipment with an evolving software engine, it can have glitches... so never trust it completely and be prudent about the situations you put it in. Congrats on your pending arrival, and Fly Safe - Have Fun, in that order! :)

Thank you, that's reassuring

I was happy to hear that it sounded normal too - I had heard cases of a "whine" type noise on some. Definitely a loud hum - but steady. Made sure to read every piece of paper, charge everything up fully, pick a good day and an open field and sent it up in the air. Definitely relieving to see it working just as it should! Still couldn't believe how rock solid it was hovering.

I think the reason we see negative cases on the internet is because there isn't much reason for people to post "Mine works!" - problems are brought up instead, so it can start to look like there is a common issue but in reality its not a large chunk of the population of drone owners. No news is good news, and all that. Enjoy it!

I am supposed to be receiving my new p4p later today and I have read and posted in these forums for the last week trying to find out most of what I need to know. I only have two questions left. 1. I see a lot of posts about issues with the p4p and errors with the equipment. Can anybody reply to this about good experience right out of the box? I'd like to hear about people not having issues. 2. I plan on downloading the litchi app to do some fpv flights, (with a visual observer, of course) can anybody tell me if in the litchi app there is an option to scan the qr code to optimize the video display for my specific vr set? Some vr apps have that and some don't. The ones that do have a much better video display. Thanks !

Mine worked perfect out of the box. I did have a bundle that had additional batteries and one was DOA and replaced, but everything that came in the Phantom 4 Pro box itself has worked perfectly. Very happy customer. No buyers remorse here. Even the DJI Go 4 app has worked perfectly on a cheap Samsung Tab A with SIM that I got to use with it. Goggles on the way. Can't wait.

Most of the "whining" noise around here comes from folks who don't read the manual... :)
I usually hate reading manuals myself! Much more fun to watch cool Youtube video's that kinda give you the same info and sometimes more accurate when it comes to DJI! LOL

I am supposed to be receiving my new p4p later today....... I plan on downloading the litchi app to do some fpv flights, (with a visual observer, of course) can anybody tell me if in the litchi app there is an option to scan the qr code to optimize the video display for my specific vr set? Some vr apps have that and some don't. The ones that do have a much better video display. Thanks !
If you haven't flown a DJI craft before, I suggest you walk before you run. You're a new member here and you didn't say your background, so this is only a friendly suggestion, if you haven't flown with DJI GO4 app, do that first. Spend a couple months getting use to the craft and application before trying Litchi. There's a lot to learn in Go4.

Litchi is a very cool app, works well for autonomous flight, but getting to know the craft first is important for safety, such as knowing what to expect and how to use RTH, among many other things.

As for VR, I haven't used VR in Litchi yet, I'm not a big fan of VR because of the resolution. It reduces the resolution by putting the full image on half of your phone display in the goggle, creating two identical images, one for each eye. So you get only half the normal resolution other goggles provide with 720 or 1080 without the split screen. The HDMI module for the P4P would be my suggestion for an immersive low cost option. $90 for the module, and $150 or $250 for goggles (Headplay or Eachine2 are the best value IMO).

However, I did get to use the DJI VR goggles at the NAB show, and I'll be ordering some. The resolution is very good, a full 1920X1080 image for each eye. But the true VR options included, such as navigation by head movement, or gimbal control by head movement, this is way beyond what Litchi provides, correct me if I'm wrong guys. The styling and quality of the DJI goggles are very nice also, but they aren't cheap either @ $450. You get what you pay for in this case.

With Mavic (and Mavic only) the really cool feature is the goggles operate wireless, no need for a wire connection from the RC to the goggle, kinda like FatSharks and race drones, but 10X the image quality and range capability. The wireless range is the same as the craft to RC,2 to 3mi. So my wife can be sitting in an air conditioned car, 1000' away, and watch the flight when I'm outside flying in the heat. With a phone bluetooth earpiece, we can talk back and forth to enjoy the flight together, while she's in an air conditioned car :p. Just kidding of course. I can be wearing a second set of goggles too, since up to two goggles can be linked to a Mavic at the same time. With P4P you have to connect with an HDMI wire. I look forward to using them. Like most DJI products, I WANT THEM, and I WANT THEM NOW! :rolleyes: (that's my wife rolling her eyes at me).

Last edited:
P4P arrived one day late. So I just got it a few hours ago. I am trying to update the firmware, but it has been stuck at 99% for quite some time now. I think something might have gone wrong. Anybody have any suggestions? will it ruin things if i power it off now and retry?

P4P arrived one day late. So I just got it a few hours ago. I am trying to update the firmware, but it has been stuck at 99% for quite some time now. I think something might have gone wrong. Anybody have any suggestions? will it ruin things if i power it off now and retry?
Are you updating through Go App and direct to bird? Or are you using Assistant hooked up to a computer? If it's not done yet, you should be good to power it off and see if it's done it's thing. P4P plus or just the P4P with Ipad?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1