Received repaired gimbal/cam with new ribbon, BUT...

Reaction score
Just got my camera/gimbal back today after 7 weeks away. Needed a new ribbon cable after a "classic" gimbal separation with torn ribbon cable. I should mention that when I opened the box, I noticed that the plastic gimbal protector had come off during shipping, and the unit was loose and rattling around inside a shoe box with other parts that I ordered. (This is the DJI distributor in Brazil) I was really fired up to finally fly again. Got everything set up, powered on, and was greeted with the dreaded possessed gimbal thrashing wildly every which way. I I checked the x axis in the gimbal and sure enough it was spun around 180 degrees, flat part facing down. I did the gimbal fix which I've done before, but this time no luck, even with the small end of the x axis secure.

My question is this: After getting back a reassembled gimbal/camera, is there any calibration that needs to be done or should be done? It should be just plug and play, right? I rechecked every connection 5 times, and re-read all the gimbal shake threads, and I'm at my wit's end. Does anyone have a suggestion as the my next step? I don't want to send it back for another repair, and I can't afford a replacement gimbal/cam.

Signed,
Depressed in Brazil...

robinbuzios said:
Just got my camera/gimbal back today after 7 weeks away. Needed a new ribbon cable after a "classic" gimbal separation with torn ribbon cable. I should mention that when I opened the box, I noticed that the plastic gimbal protector had come off during shipping, and the unit was loose and rattling around inside a shoe box with other parts that I ordered. (This is the DJI distributor in Brazil) I was really fired up to finally fly again. Got everything set up, powered on, and was greeted with the dreaded possessed gimbal thrashing wildly every which way. I I checked the x axis in the gimbal and sure enough it was spun around 180 degrees, flat part facing down. I did the gimbal fix which I've done before, but this time no luck, even with the small end of the x axis secure.

My question is this: After getting back a reassembled gimbal/camera, is there any calibration that needs to be done or should be done? It should be just plug and play, right? I rechecked every connection 5 times, and re-read all the gimbal shake threads, and I'm at my wit's end. Does anyone have a suggestion as the my next step? I don't want to send it back for another repair, and I can't afford a replacement gimbal/cam.

Signed,
Depressed in Brazil...

That is horrible. 3 things may have happened. The gimbal cable may have come dislodged from one of the connectors. The potentiometer on one of the boards may have broke and the repairer did not know how to fix it. Your grey wire plugs are not fully seated.

I am not a sponsor here so there is only so much I can link to. I have repaired these gimbals from all over the world and I wish you had sent it to me.

Attachments

• gimbalpotentiometer diagnosed.jpg
    gimbalpotentiometer diagnosed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 782
  • switchmicro 003 paint.jpg
    switchmicro 003 paint.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 608
  • Gimbals 001.JPG
    Gimbals 001.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 883
Thanks for your expert reply! The grey cables I've rechecked 10 times, so unless it's in an internal wire problem that's not it. So the actual pot lies under the black ring that seats the the axle? Can I remove it without having to solder it back on? The second picture with the small white pot you point to... is that inside the the top part of the gimbal or inside the phantom body? I only sent in the camera/ gimbal unit, so that couldn't be it.

Thanks for your help... if you were nearby I'd send it to you today!

robinbuzios said:
The gimble just separated in my hand, I'll try once more to refix the small end of the axle. I seriously hope that's it... one last shot before I have to send it off again. :(

Tape the halves in place with electrical tape and send it to me. Send me a PM and I will help you out.

The pot you see are located on each of the motor shafts control boards. They tell the operating system the location of each axis in its travel. The pot is delicate and can be disassembled to check for breaks but an ohm meter off of each outside leg and to center will tell you if its values are correct. You should see 3.25-3.6 in the 10k scale

The 2nd pic just shows the potentiometers in there digitape real. That flight controller on top of them needed a replacement switch sourced and applied. I work on all different flight systems daily.

No luck on the last attempt... it's going back. I gave them a choice. Fix it, replace it, or talk to my attorney. They charged a small fortune for the repair. I want to share this image publicly just to gauge the reaction of anyone who feels like commenting. Is this negligence, or am I overreacting? Yes, the camera/gimbal is loose in a large box with the gimbal protector off. Anyone in Brazil seeing this?

Attachments

• 1w.jpg
    1w.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 386
I feel your pain. That is bad business.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic