Received P4P+, some initial notes

Reaction score
It's out of the box and charging, here are some initial impressions of the controller in no particular order:

1. Very bright! Almost too bright for indoor use, have to find out how to turn it down if possible. Unfortunately full overcast here today so can't do a test in direct sunlight, that will have to wait for tomorrow. How much better than a cellphone or tablet? Hard to say, definitely brighter, but one thing I note is that in addition to the brightness the contrast ratio of the P4P+ screen is amazing, much better than a maxed-out phone.

2. Initial setup was a little wonky, some of the initial login screens and WiFi setup were a mix of Chinese and English even though I selected English at initial turn-on. I had to work my way through but it wasn't difficult. And now that I am set up and logged in everything seems completely normal, 100% English and no Chinese.

3. I checked for a software update but none is available yet.

4. Ports on the back of the controller are:

1. Full-size HDMI
2. Full-sixe USB
3. Micro-SD card slot
4. Micro-USB port.

Why two USB ports?

5. OS seems very Android. The UI wrapper is DJI but under the hood it seems just like the v5.1.1 Android that it is. In fact you can even get to the cellular settings menu (but nonfunctional of course.)

6. Now for the $64,000 question... sideloading apps. I haven't had time to try it yet but you can mount the SD card as external storage so... maybe. I will try it as soon as I can and report.

Edit: It looks like DJI has attempted to block installation of .apk files. You first have to go into standard Android settings and allow unapproved apps (the same as with any Android device), and then you can select the file and the normal Android native apk installer program comes up, but upon install the installer reports 'insufficient space' when in fact there is plenty. The only question in my mind is how long will it be until that is circumvented ;) This baby will be rooted.

7. Pre-installed are apps are Twitter, Facebook, Instragram, and a browser (Chrome). There is also a 'download' subdirectory direct from the menu.

8. Interestingly the included SD card is UHS Class 3 (not 10), I guess DJI figured the higher-speed card was a good idea.

9. You cannot connect an external Android device via USB, the external DJI app will not recognize the controller.

10. Playback of 4K video from the display is very smooth.

Soooo nice to just push the power button, wait about 12 seconds for cold boot, and go. No fiddling with configuring a phone, messing with cables, etc. Very slick and integrated.

More to follow...

Last edited:
Sounds great! Looking forward to a similar experience soon, I hope...

Great report, thanks much! Regarding the memory you mentioned, how much native storage does the unit have? How much is occupied and how much is empty and available? Does yours have the "Download" icon? If yes, what does that connect to when launched?

Great report, thanks much! Regarding the memory you mentioned, how much native storage does the unit have? How much is occupied and how much is empty and available? Does yours have the "Download" icon? If yes, what does that connect to when launched?
There seem to be two internal partitions (one lists as 2.91 GB total with 2.78 GB available, the other 9.56 GB total with 9.38 GB available -- the first seems to hold pre-installed apps and the second is for add-on apps and data storage.) So it seems a little over 9 GB available naively, plus whatever you might add with the SD card (which is mounted automatically to the file system when inserted.) There is a 'Download' icon which shows files downloaded via the browser. It's not clear to me yet what determines what goes into native storage and what goes to the SD card.

RAM is 4 GB, BTW.

Just got mine......wow is that screen bright!!! In the app, pull down from the top of the screen and you can configure the brightness to auto or any manual position. I'm dumbfounded that a screen can get this bright!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik