Really new - need some basic help

Reaction score
Ordered and received a Phantom FC40. Missing assembly set of screws. Have ordered from Ebay. But also, there was also a small plastic. Within that bag was a bag of 5 screws labeled M3.08*8. There was also the wrench for tightening props, a pieced of white thread, four small tape backed pieces of black rubber and a small metal bracket with screw holes in either end. I've read all the instructions, watched some assembly videos on YouTube, but did not read or see anything about what to do with the screws, the metal bracket, the piece of string and the 4 taped back pieces of rubber. Can someone give me some help.

Thanks,
Galen

The screws might be in the box. They look like a little pack of silica. There were two packs in mine-one screws and one silica.

galencg10 said:
Ordered and received a Phantom FC40. Missing assembly set of screws. Have ordered from Ebay. But also, there was also a small plastic. Within that bag was a bag of 5 screws labeled M3.08*8. There was also the wrench for tightening props, a pieced of white thread, four small tape backed pieces of black rubber and a small metal bracket with screw holes in either end. I've read all the instructions, watched some assembly videos on YouTube, but did not read or see anything about what to do with the screws, the metal bracket, the piece of string and the 4 taped back pieces of rubber. Can someone give me some help.

Thanks,
Galen

The rubber are spare pads are for under the landing gear. I don't recall finding a piece of string in my package. The missing screws are probably still in the box. Look for a silica gel kind of little bag in the box. Many people just threw it away thinking it was just silica gel. The extra bag of screws are just backup screws in case you loose one. Are there 4 screw holes in the metal thing? Isn't it the compass that you have to connect to the flat cable and attach to the bracket on the aft landing gear leg? But mine came preinstalled on the landing gear. If it has 2 holes it must be the bracket for the phone holder. http://vimeo.com/91205661 this is a good unboxing and setup video. Maybe it helps.

one more tip: be sure to use a regular usb phone charger to charge the camera. It doesn't charge from your PC USB.

Make sure you get 2 rounds of quick green flashes(@20 or so) and then a pulsing green. I don't ever lift off unless I have full satellite connection(no red blinks). Just make sure you pay attention to the light in startup.
My $.02

Thanks for all the help. I can see this is a great place to get help and advice. I almost threw the screws away thinking it was a bag of silica.
Camera doesn't charge when attached to PC..Wow, interesting. Now for that 5 inch piece of string.

Thanks for the help. Now on third time through the manual.

Some sections of manual get lost a bit in translation.
If you are confused don't be afraid to ask.

I think the string may be to be used to pull the battery cable out of the battery compartment. I didn't know what it was for at the time and threw it away. I think I read what it was for later.

Or I may have imagined it! :)

lake_flyer said:
one more tip: be sure to use a regular usb phone charger to charge the camera. It doesn't charge from your PC USB.

I had trouble too but I found that if you put the PC to sleep and then plug in the camera it does charge. Thereafter, wake the PC up and use it normally and the camera will stay on charge.

Plugging the camera in when the PC is up and running does not work.

darwin-t said:
I think the string may be to be used to pull the battery cable out of the battery compartment. I didn't know what it was for at the time and threw it away. I think I read what it was for later.

Or I may have imagined it! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The string is for the prop guards it goes between each guard.

:D :D :D :D

robinb said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The string is for the prop guards it goes between each guard.

:D :D :D :D

That string comes on a roll, not what I would call "A piece of string"

I'm also a newbie in here but I reckon that the piece of string is useful to pull the rubber ends on the camera case rubber mount thingies through the holes. I haven't seen any mention of using it in the manual though.

As for the spare landing gear pads, I'd found that the originals all worked loose after a couple of flights and dropped off whilst moving around in the box in the back of my car so I've just filled the recesses for them with the glue from a hot melt glue gun and left 1 or 2mm of glue sticking proud from each recess. Not as springy as the original pads but as most of my landings have been onto grass/turf, I can not see any reason why using the melt glue shouldn't be as good as the pads.

As one person has commented above, English doesn't seem to have been the strong point of the translators!!

A few more questions:
As far as the software goes, what is important to run and to configure within the software??
How do you know when the camera is charged?

Thanks.

The light goes out on the front when charged.
You need to change your wifi connection to the camera.
then enable app.

thats about it really, press record when you want to record.

install the NAZAM software and do an advanced calibration. You find it under "tools".
I strongly recommend to activate IOC (Intelligent orientation control) on the left switch and Return to Home on the right switch. Described in the manual and Youtube is your friend. Loads of clips about setting IOC and RTH in Nazam. Switch on transmitter first, both switches in the upper position. Then switch on the Phantom by connecting the battery. After you let the phantom find his/her nose position and home location all you finally see is green lights ONLY. Then do the 'compass dance' before you take off first time (again Youtube is your friend here).

One more question. I checked the firmware upgrade and it is at the latest version. Can I just leave everything else in the Naza-M software and the Phantom RC Assistant Software at its defaults?

I have a AR drone 2 and it was just sort of out of the box and in the sky.

I want to be careful with the Phantom, but these instruction are driving me CRAZY.
Thanks

Yes the defaults are fine.

You will find it much more stable than the ar drone.

You can practice starting /stopping it with the blades off.
Do the compass calibration when you get full satellite lock.

Give it a reasonable amount of throttle when you do come to fly as it has a tendency to tip forward a little if you are too cautious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik