REALLY DJI???? H3-3D Not tilting after firmware update

Reaction score
HOLY JUMPIN GEEZUS DJI, I swear you all are purposely jacking us so that YOU are the only ones that actually get those badass videos we all see on youtube. Yet AGAIN, I cannot use my Phantom 2 for the freaking purpose I bought it for. Unfortunately, it's not the chick magnet I really really bought it for so I fall back to Plan B, flying my Go-Pro Hero 3+ to places I normally could not get to and shoot. Call me a dreamer, but yeah that's just me.

I had the Phantom 2 with the H3-2D Gimbal. It worked ok, but the lateral twitch it had when wind tried to push it around made video less than desirable, so I either wait to fly my Phantom on 0 wind days OR get the H3-3D gimbal. I got the 3D, installed it and voila works perfectly. However, I also notice my Phantom is doing swirlies and has bad com problems with direction. I researched it and read about the TBE problem going on. DJI programmers have struck again. I read that another firmware update would fix this, so I went through the process last night. Everything worked well. My Phantom is solid as a rock now. The compass, GPS and RC seem to work flawlessly, so that's the upside. However, did I mention that the Phantom 2 Assistant had an H3-3D gimbal firmware update? Ok, I'll bite. Go ahead assistant, apply your update to my gimbal....what could go wrong??? Can anyone guess what DOES NOT work now???

You brainiacs at DJI need to test your shyt. Seriously. I've been a programmer since I'm 12, it's what I do now for my day job now. I'm familiar with the process. Your QC sucks and I did not spend thousands to buy your hardware only to turn into your freaking beta tester. Trips and shoots I've been planning have to keep getting pushed off because you release your crappy programming into the wild and it becomes an oh shyt moment "Mother of God, what's NOT working nowwwwwwwwwwww!!!"

I live in a high tourist area. I fly around all the time and have many people stop to talk to me all the time "hey what is that - where can I buy it?". I'm going to start saying "DON'T buy this POS.... wait til another company has their act together and does it right." I cannot even say how many Phantoms I have 'sold' by telling people all about them and singing their praises. You think I want to subject those people to THIS????

I've owned the Phantom Vision (sold), Phantom 2 + H3-2D + GoPro 3+ (dropped out of sky - lost in lagoon), Phantom 2 (currently going to give me a stroke) and Phantom 2 Vision+ (selling because the range is poor and the GoPro 3+ image quality blows 2V+ cameras doors clean off).

So help me, if I cannot fix this gimbal tilt problem and I have to cancel this weekend shoot AGAIN..... I'm going to full charge all 7 of my batteries, fly this thing in the most high traffic area - where hundreds of people per hour pass by and recommend everything other than DJI.

Sorry for the rant folks, but after 4 Phantoms enough is enough. Get it together DJI.

That's a rather long rant. Here's a concise answer: After you update, you need to re-calibrate everything: RC in RC app, controls in Phantom Assistant, IMU, compass.

ianwood said:
That's a rather long rant. Here's a concise answer: After you update, you need to re-calibrate everything: RC in RC app, controls in Phantom Assistant, IMU, compass.

Actually did all that Ianwood. Right after the update. Like I said compass, GPS, IMU are flawless now in tests I flew last night and in pretty stuff winds I might add. Rock solid. My H3-3D worked perfectly before the firmware and I calibrated it after. It did work while connected - as soon as I took it out to test - the underside POT stops working. No range in tilt, either 0 deg looking forward or 90 deg straight down. Exactly the same problem that happened to my H3-2D gimbal after an update - it took forever to figure that one out, but that was before PhantomPilots.com existed, so here's hoping this place becomes the main hub for people to find reliable and accurate info for resolving Phantom issues.

I'm working on cycling through the RC cal again. Hopefully it will take.

Thanks for the reply, I'll post my results if and when I solve this mystery. I just want the GD thing to work already.

Go into Asst software -> Basic -> RC -> recal your X1 I had to do mine twice to get it to "take"

EMCSQUAR said:
Go into Asst software -> Basic -> RC -> recal your X1 I had to do mine twice to get it to "take"

Thanks EMCSQUAR. I did just that and it seems to have the function back. I tried numerous combinations, the controls were 'flipped' where it was opposite the normal way it worked, then a RC Cal once again, it started working. Unplugged from USB and numerous power cycles, it's still working, so all is well, but these weird quirks do not inspire confidence while flying in tricky conditions now. Time for some test flights. Fingers crossed I finally have a working Phantom 2. Watch it does a flyaway over the ocean or a faceplant into one of the tall hotels in the area. Haha. You'll never see me on PhantomPilots.com again. Maybe IFlyPaperAirplanes.com - but that's it. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik