Really Bad DJI Experience (otherwise known as Keep Your Original Box!!)

Reaction score
Be forewarned...I bought a new P4 only to find that the gimbal was glitchy (droop, gimbal motor overloaded messages, etc). Never even had the chance to power up the motors, much less fly. Contacted DJI Service and they said to pack it up and send to them for an exchange, even though I had already thrown away the retail outer box. Verrrry long story short (and after a month of arguing and upset phone calls, often on hold for an hour) I was told they would not exchange it because I didn't have the retail outer box. Really??!! They said all they can do is repair my never flown unit. Well, my repaired P4 just arrived...only to discover that it isn't the original bird I bought (different serial number). So essentially I spent almost $2,300 on a new P4 and lots of accessories only to have been sent back a refurbished P4. I wish I would have bought it from Apple. Nobody at customer service was empowered to do the right thing and could only quote policies from the Shenzhen handbook. I've sent complaint emails about the experience with no response. These guys need to do a serious reboot on their attitude to customers and learn what customer service means.

with all due respect, if you ever purchase anything, rule of thumb, keep the packaging for a good few weeks before hand. that's standard for anything you purchase.
how do you know its a refurbished P4?

with all due respect, if you ever purchase anything, rule of thumb, keep the packaging for a good few weeks before hand. that's standard for anything you purchase.
Well, the replacement P4 did not come in a "retail box" nor did any of the components have any of the plastic wrappings of new units...and it had a work order with a list of parts that had been replaced; it just wasn't the P4 I sent them. Not sure what else to call it if not refurbished; it certainly wasn't a new one. Anyway, I really just shared this experience as a reminder to all who read these things that: 1) DJI has their company policy book, and; 2) these guys are clearly not empowered to use their own judgment and call an audible when good business sense would say to do so. For the cost of a $1 box, wouldn't it be better for them if I was posting an entry that said what great guys they are and how much they value all of us as customers? (that's a rhetorical question, no reply required) ;-)

Reactions: johnbowen
did you use paypal?
No...on Visa card. I thought about getting Visa involved, but I really wanted DJI to do the right thing, not Visa to have to do it for them. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to go finally fly this thing and hope nothing else goes wrong!

Have you ever tried to return something at a Chinese restaurant or even a Japanese one? Their culture for economics is MUCH MUCH different then ours which is why at the last minute I cancelled my original order from DJI to buy it at the Apple Store.

I had no problem with my first one and have had an insane, almost unbelievable amount of problems with my second one, but fortunately for me, I bought it from Apple and saved my original packaging. I had already pre-ordered my DJI one and they had already taken my money but it hadn't shipped yet and they refused to return it (AND IT HADN'T SHIPPED YET) and mind you, I had already sold via pre-order for them 9 units through affiliate links and this was before they were shipping (affiliate links are you put a link to their website from yours and you get a small percentage kicked back).

So the lesson learned here for you is save the original box and don't buy roll out from DJI. That said, I have never experienced as many issues with my second P4 than I have with any other piece of electronics in my life.

I still haven't opened the one I ended up bringing home from the Apple Store because I just can't get myself to go though that crap again but I really need to so I can see if it works. As it stands, it definitely doesn't connect to my flying tab of choice and am being forced by whatever is causing my iPad Mini 2 to not be connected to the bird to use my iPhone 6+.

Sorry dude.

I have come to love DJI products, but I absolutely hate them as a company. I bought an Osmo now that they have made a lot of improvements on it. I've been waiting on this think two weeks. When I purchased it they said it would ship in 1-3 business days from payment approval. I paid with PayPal and my order was updated immediately with approved payment. I've been in touch with DJI several times in the last week via email and chat. I've gotten so many different responses about what is going on with my order. Finally I got an email saying and I copied straight from email. "Could you please kindly keep your patience ?" Are you F'ing kidding me? I had similar problems when I was getting my P4, which is why I got from Apple when I had the chance. Wish Apple sold the Osmo.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: lonjsnyder
Did the replacement Phantom already have a name? I've heard of people getting a refurb or repair with a different name in the app.

If you had the opportunity to register it with a name, maybe it wasn't refurb.

I had already named the one I sent in, but the one that came back needed to be named.

Jussaguy...good luck on that new P4; at least if its DOA you have Apple behind it instead of DJI direct.

Have you ever tried to return something at a Chinese restaurant or even a Japanese one? Their culture for economics is MUCH MUCH different then ours which is why at the last minute I cancelled my original order from DJI to buy it at the Apple Store.

I had no problem with my first one and have had an insane, almost unbelievable amount of problems with my second one, but fortunately for me, I bought it from Apple and saved my original packaging. I had already pre-ordered my DJI one and they had already taken my money but it hadn't shipped yet and they refused to return it (AND IT HADN'T SHIPPED YET) and mind you, I had already sold via pre-order for them 9 units through affiliate links and this was before they were shipping (affiliate links are you put a link to their website from yours and you get a small percentage kicked back).

So the lesson learned here for you is save the original box and don't buy roll out from DJI. That said, I have never experienced as many issues with my second P4 than I have with any other piece of electronics in my life.

I still haven't opened the one I ended up bringing home from the Apple Store because I just can't get myself to go though that crap again but I really need to so I can see if it works. As it stands, it definitely doesn't connect to my flying tab of choice and am being forced by whatever is causing my iPad Mini 2 to not be connected to the bird to use my iPhone 6+.

Sorry dude.
Hey guy, you know I hope you can get it fixed but in BB website they (Best Buy) are reviewers there saying no matter what they did their model just wouldn't connect to a certain tablet either.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey guy, you know I hope you can get it fixed but in BB website they (Best Buy) are reviewers there saying no matter what they did their model just wouldn't connect to a certain tablet either.

I have SOLVED the problem (or I should say others have and I had to go through a lot of posts) but I have got it working. When I have the time (and I certainly don't at the moment), I will post a detailed post about the issues and the fix.

For what it's worth, I am still getting CRAP range but I am going to bring it out to a better spot than here where it's more open to see if it gets what my other P4 gets.

But for now, it's working on both my iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6+ via a solution and no thanks to DJI.

Yes, always save the retail packaging. My wife gets on me about all the boxes I save. 1) great for returns. 2) great for resale. 3) great for securing expensive electronic items when moving etc.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

Yes, always save the retail packaging. My wife gets on me about all the boxes I save. 1) great for returns. 2) great for resale. 3) great for securing expensive electronic items when moving etc.

And just when I thought DJI customer service couldn't get worse. After waiting a month for DJI to get me a P4 that actually works to replace the new one I bought that arrived inoperable, DJI Care won't reset my start date by that lost month stating that it wasn't their fault. This complete denial of responsibility from DJI makes my brain explode. I feel like I'm arguing with a monkey. Something tells me if I ever have a real need for the DJI Care, it's not going to be there for me. Ugh.

And just when I thought DJI customer service couldn't get worse. After waiting a month for DJI to get me a P4 that actually works to replace the new one I bought that arrived inoperable, DJI Care won't reset my start date by that lost month stating that it wasn't their fault. This complete denial of responsibility from DJI makes my brain explode. I feel like I'm arguing with a monkey. Something tells me if I ever have a real need for the DJI Care, it's not going to be there for me. Ugh.

Most warranties work this way. They will not reset the start date. Sucks I know!

Awful service, but I have to say, always keep your box, I use it to store my bird so if there is a problem I can send it all back with original packaging.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mrcrane2u
I waited 6 months when the inspire came out so the bugs were worked out. Glad I did. Bought the P4 as soon as apple had them. My first one was bad and had to to be swapped out by apple store. It was totally worth the sales tax and exchange as a breeze. The apple salesperson didnt even open the box from the returned p4.

I feel for everyone that has had to deal with DJI, thats why I bought my P4 from Apple instead of direct from DJI.. I knew if I needed to I have a guaranteed return option.. Thankfully my P4 performs very well and seems to have no problems except for a small gimbal issue.. I have been tempted to return it for another one but I would be afraid of getting a replacement full of issues.

Seriously though . . they could use a few lessons in customer service. . .right now there isn't any

Reactions: peterepeat69

I keep every box of any electronic item until I resell it or it dies of old age. Just for the reasons you mention above.

Reactions: Zeprider
I'm happy to report that DJI finally honored resetting my DJI Care for the month I lost trying to get a working unit from them. An amazing amount of brain cells were lost in this effort, but it proves you have to be as tenacious as they are to get them to do the right thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20