Realigning the Gimbel

Reaction score
My Gimbel no longer sits horizontal.

I've seen some youtube video where the Gimbel can be calibrated with the software and a switch on the back of RC. Mine does not have a switch on the back.

Anyone know how I can adjust the horizontal line Gimbel?

How far off is it?

Mine was about 30% off horizontal. I tried all of the recommendations I could find online, and nothing solved it.

I called DJI support, and the guy told me to remove the three screws on the back, manually align it, then re-tighten the screws. That didn't work.

I sent it in for repair, and it sat in their warehouse for 6 weeks. Then I got an email saying "we're looking at it", followed 54 minutes later by an email saying "it's repaired (no charge) and will be sent back". When it arrived back home, it had a note saying that they had replaced the camera.

I had the same problem... I found the two videos below on YouTube and I was able to correct the problem.

http://youtu.be/SFxM8OOWRQc

http://youtu.be/5iTz3Dd2Ecs

Mine took some trial and error to adjust and it's a pain because the only way I could check to see if it was fixed was to turn on the phantom and the transmitter and the wifi repeater and then connect to the phantom wifi on my iPhone and then open the dji app and then adjust the camera to horizontal to see if it was truly horizontal. And you have to turn off the phantom each time you make an adjustment. I had a roll of electrical tape (laying flat) that happened to be the exact height of the bottom of the camera off the table. Right side was touching, left side had a big gap. After tweaking with the slotted pin enough times, I managed to get the camera pretty much horizontal. The trial and error and having to set up the wifi connection and the dji app EVERY time you make an adjustment was a bit of a pain, but it really didn't take me that long to fix it. I DID NOT use loctite as suggested in the first video and it seems to be holding just fine. I was unsure if how much force I should use to twist the axle/shaft to adjust it. It seemed like I was using a lot of force, but I guess it it tight for a reason. Just be careful with the ribbon cables - don't remove the one on the side (IMHO). I did not remove mine. I just carefully used a needle nose pliers to turn the shaft, while not disturbing the circuit board or the ribbon cables. The hard part for me was figuring out which direction to turn it. It was actually confusing at first, but I eventually figured it out.

Why did the gimbal get messed up in the first place? I think it was because I turned on the Phantom a few times with the gimbal lock in place. Don't do that folks!

Good luck!

Jeff

Thanks - I will take my time with the information you have given me and let you know how I go.

I really don't want to become a hater as I am so quick to fly off the handle. I eventually resolved my compass issues and am thinking there has to be a way to correct this one as well. I suspect I too have started up too many times with the see through gimbal lock.

Just watched the first video and not happy that I have to make such a repair and void my warranty -

I think the Gimbal they use is not all its made out to be - rather fragile really. **** this ... what was the last bit about the tooth pick on that loctight290 - what is locktight290? Is it called something else in other countries?

Ok, so the question is...why do they come so wrong? I mean, the gimbal failure is such a common thing that the strange thing would be have a perfecto phantom!

I thought I really screwed up the gimbal the first time I adjusted it - I made the minor horizontal axis tilt a lot worse, but it was easy to correct. Warrantee means sending the phantom back and waiting????? for them to perform a repair that literally took me less than an hour - start to finish. It is literally three screws (just don't lose them - and remember the smaller screw goes in the center). The circuit board just gets pulled away - gently with your fingernails or a small screwdriver. It was a little scary at first to mess with it, but it solved the problem - easy peasy...
Just go slow....

Yea I hear ya and appreciate your response.

I got the cover off and have the screws off to the side in their order -

Just watching the vids again.

I lifted off (about 8mm off) the PCB very carefully and can fit small needle nose pliers in without having to take off any ribbons -

Just wondering if it's OK to move the camera with my hand whilst holding pliers in place?

Is it normal for it to be really tight when I hold the pliers and then turn the camera. Seems like it needs a LOT of pressure. Feels like I might snap something. Is that how it felt at first for your guys?

Yup. That's how it felt for me. Had to use some force...hold the camera while you turn the pliers. Seemed very tight to me also. Just go slow. Make a first adjustment and then put the PC board back on - no need to screw the back on. Turn everything on and check the level. May be frustrating - was for me. I stopped and tried again the next day...

I have the PCB half hanging off because I'm not comfy with taking the cable off.

Having a little break now - I have been holding the pliers and slowly adjusting the gimbal arm/camera -

Hey Jeff ... I'm now taking the side ribbon off as it's near impossible with it left on. I flipped the black lever/connection and then poped it out ... I jet reconnect each time without pushing the black lever down.

Anyways - I'm still having trouble adjusting it. Is there a tool to snuggly fit those half circle shafts? At the current rate I fear I might bur the shaft.

Seems worse now - however it really should never of come to this. How much do you think they will charge if I send it in to DJI - International shipping SIGH ---- It should not be this hard to realign???

Mine is ok vertical but is of to the left a little. Works fine but it´s annoying when flying and filming in a strait line and it´s a little bit of. It looks that if I going to "repair" that I have to take the whole gimbal apart. Have anybody seen a tutorial about that problem? Should be the axel that goes thru the mainboard.

srry I can't help whippo - I managed to correct mine some with the advice and tips given throughout this thread. I'm not 100% satisfied, however I have learned a lot in the last few days since it's arrived. I've probably messed the compass up a little with the pliers and other tools, however I know first hand how to fix that now.

I'm also feeling a little more confident about making more adjustments to correct the horizontal aspect of camera as I am sure its going to be part of the maintenance over times.

It's no good if it's even slightly off - way to much effort in post production with video. I don't mind rotating a little with stills but no way I am OK with it slightly out.

I'll probably try again tomorrow to find the sweet spot -

I thought I could fix it without moving the ribons - but NO way - behind the ribbons is a little back tab that needs to be lifted first - I only removed the side ribbon and used pliers to hold either side of the shaft (not touching the level bit of the shaft)
I'm not getting the 800m everyone else is at the moment, but with compass calibrations issues and now the gimbal going out of alignment - I'm not so worried about distance anymore. I just need to learn the fixes and better understand this thing. I still HATE the support DJI offers, but they are pretty much all the same imo. PrintrBot and now this.

To be fair though - it is a geeks game ... I sometimes wish they were more upfront about the technical side than the hype many companies promote with how easy is all is. Ya live and ya learn I guess.

One draw back - Is I am now experiencing interference in my video ... when I raise the camera back up near the props - I seem to get lines in my video.

Sorry your having problems. Again, I had problems too initially. You can wrap some electrical tape on your pliers to avoid damaging the shaft. Like I said, I waited a day to adjust it again and I got it pretty perfect on the second day. I was not comfortable removing the ribbon cable, but I was still able to make the adjustments with both cables still attached. Yes, it's tight in there and hard to see, but I did have success in the end. In hindsight, I probably should have used a needle nose vise grips so the pliers wouldn't slip on the shaft. Keep at it. I think you will get it right, in the end...
Good luck!

Interference in video? Hmmmm.. You are not talking about while it's flying (into sunlight)? Just while it's sitting on the table? Don't know. Seems to me like maybe the ribbon cable isn't fully seated?? That's the reason I didn't want to remove the cable - was afraid I might not get it to fit back in perfectly.
My phantom is pretty much perfect now after I made the adjustments. A day off is all it took to get it right..

Thanks for the support Jeff.

This morning I am going to try again as my video is still off balance. With regard to using the pliers and turning Gimabal connected to camera (being careful not touch ribbon) I can turn the camera one way but struggle turning it the other. Unfortunately the way I need it to go is very hard to hit the sweet spot. I will watch videos one more time having my morning cuppa, then commence my next try.

About the video footage flickering - I was "extremely" careful removing the side ribbon. I gently but with a tiny bit of force lifted the black lever before gently rocking the ribbon out. I will however check the seating and make sure I have a good connection there. I am also going to check the ribbon to for grease and dust from my fingers.

If there was one upgrade DJI could do, it would be to make this procedure of correcting gimabl alignment much easier.

PS - I have found some gimbal control in software assist - but I think it's not relevant to correcting the seated position?

Thanks gains for your support.

You can tweak the horizontal in Naza assistant by changing the centre position number .. providing you have the roll cable connected..Also add a small piece of rubber sheet between the camera and the gimbal .. for me that removed some vibration ...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj