ready to fly right out of the box

Reaction score
I just got my fc40, im wondering is this thing ready to go or do I need to download firmware first? do I need to calibrate the compass?

You need to read the manual or at least the quick start guide.
Mine came with all the latest firmwares.

Yes you need to charge the battery, calibrate the compass. Also strongly recommended to plug it in the assistant. I had to do the advanced IMU calibration as it was at 0.8 and should be to 0 as a close as possible, and the compass MOD was at 2300 and ideally should be at 1600. So had to use a magnet for it.

You also want to activate IOC mode in the assistant, which gives you home lock and course lock.

Congrats.

Just be aware of the risks involved when you fly it out without proper knowledge and preparation:

- It may crash and damage itself.
- You may lose control over it and cannot recover it.
- Worst of all, it may crash and injure other people or damage their properties.

Best to go over the manual yourself and read a few threads about flyaways.

Congrats on the new toy and have fun with it :)

scole said:
I just got my fc40, im wondering is this thing ready to go or do I need to download firmware first? do I need to calibrate the compass?
have you flown it yet?. how was the setup process and outcomes?

yes I did fly and she is awesome, just calibrate the compass. I didn't go online and do all that stuff yet. on my first flight I had a little runaway close to the ground so I dropped the throttle and crash landed, but then finished that battery with no problem. I put another battery in and went through the manual once more and found that I forgot to flick the switch to activate the compass. after properly calibrating the compass I had no prolbems. im thinking that all the guys who said they lost control probably just put the battery in and went for a spin. the manual is very disappointing and long and complicated. you just have to take it one step at a time. now I want to activate the ioc function and learn how to return to home.

It is pretty much charge and fly(provided you have new batteries for the controller)

I have mine ready to fly for tomorrow once I get new batteries for the controller

FYI I did update mine

It's a phantom fc40

Actually both my imu and compass needed calibrating in the Naza software. I had to use a magnet on the compass to bring back the numbers to spec.

I dot see why you would risk crashing or losing it on first flight.

God knows what kind of rough time it had during transport, and how close to magnets it was during that time. Even though you do the compass dance outside, it doesn't mean it is well calibrated.

I did when I updated the software on the flight controller and the remote

Phantom flew great but I wonder if I have a bad GPS unit as I only got one green flash with two red flashes other then that it worked great

I checked the Imu calibration before and after the update and it wasn't needed both times

I have flown in excess of 100 flights since the initial compass calibration and I have not connected to the assistant ...and I don't intend too unless something goes wrong. My V 1.1.1 flies like a dream and I don't see why I would want to take a chance on upsetting that....just my 2 cents.

Sokol said:
I have flown in excess of 100 flights since the initial compass calibration and I have not connected to the assistant ...and I don't intend too unless something goes wrong. My V 1.1.1 flies like a dream and I don't see why I would want to take a chance on upsetting that....just my 2 cents.

Mine is a new fc40 with only one flight

I did update it for the radio gear

Phantom flew great but I wonder if I have a bad GPS unit as I only got one green flash with two red flashes other then that it worked great.

1 green flash with 2 red flashes means it only sees 5 GPS satellites
1 green flash with 3 red flashes means its connected to less the 5 GPS satellites
1 green flash and 1 red flash means its found 6 GPS satellites
if its just green and no red that means its found 7 or more.

Some times if you are having a hard time picking up a full 7 or more GPS satellites let it sit another minute or two. Till the flashes become all green. Even when I am inside if i give it long enough it will some times even eventually pick them up. and go to all green.

here is a good video of what all the different led flash codes mean. They can all tell you the different states of operation shes in and pretty important to know what they all mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUsfMIjcY8#t=186

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik