Ready to buy

Reaction score
I believe I am going to go for it...

What should I plan to obtain to start?

I figure extra batteries, prop guards, what's with the carbon fiber props I have seen (and are they propeller blades or rotor blades)

What else should I consider?

I'm doing a free documentary for the county extension folks on agriculture in the county and I can see use of some aerial shots of field work could really be something different...

Also, best place to order from?

Not price shopping, looking for selection of accessories and support....I've never had RC devices before...big turf farm down the road will be my training ground.

Tim T.

tapiot said:

I figure extra batteries, prop guards, what's with the carbon fiber props I have seen (and are they propeller blades or rotor blades)

I'm doing a free documentary for the county extension folks on agriculture in the county and I can see use of some aerial shots of field work could really be something different...

Not price shopping, looking for selection of accessories and support....I've never had RC devices before...big turf farm down the road will be my training ground.

Tim T.

To be honest, I'd purchase and learn how to fly it before you start changing things, but that's me and I tend to have a more cautious approach. Prop guards are good if you're looking for a little extra protection.

I'd order a Phantom, 2 full sets of replacement props (1 set has 2 clockwise and 2 counterclockwise), and an extra battery or two.

One thing I would caution, you appear to be looking at a commercial usage of the Phantom. Regardless of if you do it for free, you may run afoul of th FAA if you provide a movie to the county folks and they put it online to promote their work.

Enjoy!

Commercial is not just 'for profit' as it can also be construed as 'promotional'. It doesn't matter if you charge or just 'get credit'.

If the product is used to promote some entity by making known the availability of a product or service, such as real estate for sale, photography business, or tourism capability of an area, that can be a promotional purpose.

tapiot said:

Tim T.

TIm,

I'm sorry to say this, but with the flyaways happening, and DJI doing NOTHING to solve them, I would not put my money in this platform.

A company called Helipal (helipal.com) that makes an inexpensive unit based on another controller that is competitively priced - read,less expensive - that might serve you better. I would recommend a gimbal for a smoother video,a better radio and more power options.

With the issues that DJI are having, and I've lost 1 already, and had a second one disappeared last week - I found it - I could not in all honestly say to buy it.

Sorry, I know this must be a bad email to read.

Good luck

D

tapiot said:

Tim T.

The Phantom is a fine quad to start off with.
and don't let the flyaway fear scare you away,. while they have indeed occurred, there's thousands of Phantom flyers that haven't had flyaways.
you should probably skip the carbon fiber props until you've had plenty of flying experience.
..prop guards aren't really necessary if you're in a large field tho, and they just add weight.
but guess they might be ok to learn on so you dont bust any props if you tip over.
but speaking of props, a good start is to buy a prop balancer, such as the DuBro.
and keep your prop nuts on tight!

the price is fairly fixed at every vendor,. tho some (like dronely and B&W), include a free extra battery.
coudn't hurt to order a few extra's online (Hobbyking has the best prices).

Eventually down the line you might find yourself wanting to get FPV and a gimbal.

Thanks for all the comments....and if the FAA wants to come down on me, I welcome them to it.
Like they say, if you plan to fight fair, you've already lost. I will pull out all stops and use every resource I can find to show how **** retentive they are. Using a low level air platform for commercial use should be no different than for hobby use. If they want me to have a license, I can live with that. If they want to get in the way, then I toss out the disabled vet card and go to the media...

Tim T.

tapiot said:
Thanks for all the comments....and if the FAA wants to come down on me, I welcome them to it.
Like they say, if you plan to fight fair, you've already lost. I will pull out all stops and use every resource I can find to show how **** retentive they are. Using a low level air platform for commercial use should be no different than for hobby use. If they want me to have a license, I can live with that. If they want to get in the way, then I toss out the disabled vet card and go to the media...

Tim T.

Nice. Does that disabled vet card work for growing pot and running a brothel too?

It's a big sky, I don't see why you even need a licence for something like a Cessna. **** that FAA and their **** retentiveness.

No need to worry about stupid regulations when your neighbour decides to have someone take aerial photographs of his house, and the 19 year old pilot drops his quadcopter on your kid or dog.

No need to worry about stupid regulations when your neighbour decides to have someone take aerial photographs of his house, and the 19 year old pilot drops his quadcopter on your kid or dog.

Or posts video of your pot plants growing in your back yard. ( I know, it's for medical use only ! )

Actually I have legit reasons for aerial photography and they do not include flying through neighbor's backyards...

And as far as the brothel, I started one but had to run it by hand until my callouses got too rough....

With the pot, I never inhaled...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik