Re-calibrate transmitter

Reaction score
Ok, I am trying to find out if I can start my transmitter from fresh. I cannot get this to line up. Every time I go straight, it always veers to the left and I have to counter steer. Yes, I have tried to calibrate it with RC Assistant and with P2V app. RC gives me the screen that is shown below and the Phantom Assistant says it is all fine. What can I do?

Attachments

• 14470663608_61e1130527_o.jpg
    14470663608_61e1130527_o.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 576
hi jeff,

I live in roseville as well, and we happen to be in an area of significant compass declination. As I got better at flying I started to notice the "j-hook" as well. you'll notice that it will hook in the opposite direction when you pull back and let go.

This whole thread is dedicated to the issue:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10317#p88982

I wouldn't adjust the transmitter just yet!

The issue is driving me crazy as well as it is affecting my shots.

I'd recommend letting Ianwood know you are also afflicted.

Jeff,

You should be able to zero all 4 values A-E-T-R by just calibrating in Fantom RC app. If not, you might have an issue with the controller.

If so, your choices is to (if you have the ability) take it apart and measure the resistance on all axis to determent where the problem is. If not, you might need to replace the TX.

Compass problems should have no impact on the calibration of the TX, should still calibrate.

Jeffin916 said:
Ok, I am trying to find out if I can start my transmitter from fresh. I cannot get this to line up. Every time I go straight, it always veers to the left and I have to counter steer. Yes, I have tried to calibrate it with RC Assistant and with P2V app. RC gives me the screen that is shown below and the Phantom Assistant says it is all fine. What can I do?

By the look of your pic - the yaw is way out. When you calibrate sticks move each one SLOWLY to each corner and do it multiple times. Make sure Phantom is on a non magnetic level surface. If that doesn't cure it - reload factory defaults.

EMCSQUAR said:
Jeffin916 said:

By the look of your pic - the yaw is way out. When you calibrate sticks move each one SLOWLY to each corner and do it multiple times. Make sure Phantom is on a non magnetic level surface. If that doesn't cure it - reload factory defaults.

When I look at the picture it seems to me that the T axis is the one that is mostly out and that is not yaw it is throttle?
Second why involve the phantom at all when OP is not able to calibrate the TX using RC Assistant? The TX has to be correct first.
RC Assistant should be calibrated first and then Phantom Assistant.

What is more puzzling to me is why OP is not able to calibrate TX in RC Assistant, even if values are off he should still be able to do it. Might be that the calibration don't "stick" and the unit is faulty.

Jeffin916 said:
Here is what I am doing:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYax6V1-spU[/youtube]

Jeff, your calibration is perfectly fine, when you hit "finish" all values are 0. And not out of line.
Only thing I saw on the video is that it appears like you are not moving the sticks all the way, go slow one at the time and all the way.
The photo you posted before was taken before you pressed the "finished" button? Calibration is not done until after this.
All will be fine.

cougar said:
Jeffin916 said:
Here is what I am doing:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYax6V1-spU[/youtube]

Jeff, your calibration is perfectly fine, when you hit "finish" all values are 0. And not out of line.
Only thing I saw on the video is that it appears like you are not moving the sticks all the way, go slow one at the time and all the way.
The photo you posted before was taken before you pressed the "finished" button? Calibration is not done until after this.
All will be fine.

Ok then something is happening because when I fly straight (On the sticks) it goes left and I have to counter steer.

Again, this is separate from the known severe j-hook issue in our area? When you push forward on the right stick it steadily heads left in a straight line?

You are seeing the affects of the magnetic declination issue. See link describing this issue above. I live in Concord CA and the declination is about 14 degrees. When I first start flying my Phantom in a straight line away from me it curves to the left. After 3-4 minutes most of the curve to the left is eliminated.

It's hard for me to tell from the video what method u r using when moving the sticks. But here is a pro tip: When setting the extents for a joystick during calibration, rotate the stick(s) in a circle around its perimeter, 2 or 3 times. Of course letting the stick go before clicking finish. This will best allow the software to capture the min and max values and the midpoint.

It is an analog input device, and the calibration routine is reading the voltage min and maxes for each axis separately. For example it captures the min for the x-axis by doing something like "if the value read is less than the stored minimum, save the value as the stored minimum". And the max for the x-axis by "if the value read is greater than the stored maximum, save the value as the stored maximum". Then when you click finish, it probably stores the final values to non-volatile memory.

You should also test the finished values by rotating the stick(s) again around their perimeter. You should see the green indicators moving to the full extents of the scales they are on when the cal is good. This most likely is not your issue but maybe it will help.

rasimpson said:
You are seeing the affects of the magnetic declination issue. See link describing this issue above. I live in Concord CA and the declination is about 14 degrees. When I first start flying my Phantom in a straight line away from me it curves to the left. After 3-4 minutes most of the curve to the left is eliminated.

+1

yeah, that's what I think as well. It is quite severe here in Northern California. Jeff, if you want to meet somewhere we can compare a straight stick flight path. I'm pretty convinced what you are fighting is the "drunken sparrow"!

aerial_justice said:
yeah, that's what I think as well. It is quite severe here in Northern California. Jeff, if you want to meet somewhere we can compare a straight stick flight path. I'm pretty convinced what you are fighting is the "drunken sparrow"!

That would be awesome! Text me at 916-741-7773. Would be great to have someone local to compare and share with.

Thanks everyone!!

Jeffin916 said:
Here is another issue or is this normal?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZaTmiTqxJM[/youtube]

If you hit finish and then move the stick,s what values do you get? You need to complete the calibration before you get accurate values.

Here is a video of aerial_justice and I, we met and tested it. My first attempt to go in a straight line, it curves to the left when I go forward and then does a J hook after I let off of the stick. The video is nothing special, no editing. Went to 1,500 ft. and then just messed around. Great meeting you Aerial, that was fun!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1RXhgBlmUw[/youtube]

cougar said:
Jeffin916 said:
Here is another issue or is this normal?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZaTmiTqxJM[/youtube]

If you hit finish and then move the stick,s what values do you get? You need to complete the calibration before you get accurate values.

Once I hit finish, the values are correct. But why when I hit Calibrate are they all out of whack no matter how many times I calibrate it

Jeffin916 said:
Here is a video of aerial_justice and I, we met and tested it. My first attempt to go in a straight line, it curves to the left when I go forward and then does a J hook after I let off of the stick. The video is nothing special, no editing. Went to 1,500 ft. and then just messed around. Great meeting you Aerial, that was fun!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1RXhgBlmUw[/youtube]

Great to meet you Jeff! Sorry you have the compass disease. I'm pretty irritated with it, and am hoping that the Drunken Sparrow clan can get this sorted.

(even the 80% fixed that's being reported doesn't sit will with me)

One of the keys to an aerial photography platform stability, and I currently can't do shots that I want because of our 14 foot hooks for 5 mins!

Look forward to buzzing some sights with you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl