P3 Firmware RC Signal Lost and will not update RC

Reaction score
Took the Phantom out yesterday for the first time since about February. Ran fine then.
When I turned it on and connected it said Firmware update, so I powered down, went to the DJI site and downloaded the latest 1.8. I put the .bin file in the root of the sd card and powered on the craft. Updated just perfectly. I then installed the other battery and updated that as well, again no problems.

Then I took the same card and inserted into the remote so that could update also. I waited, and waited and waited and eventually it just started beeping since there was no connection to the craft, but it did not begin an update. The light stayed red the whole time.
I figured I'd at least test to see if they connect and although I can get video from the iPad and I can make changes, it still says RC Signal Lost. Full bars for my remote connection. Zero control of the craft.

So I hop on the forums for help and find some suggestions that I tried.

Reformatted SD card to exFat, nothing.
Tried 2nd SD card, nothing.
Tried 2nd card reader, nothing.
Tried connecting directly to craft, nothing.
I deleted the DJI app 3 times and reinstalled, nothing.
Once in the DJI app I went to the Academy button and held for a bit to show the firmware screen, it says "Firmware detection failed" so I can't even see what firmware I'm on and how to downgrade/upgrade.
Tried downloading the 1.7 firmware, nothing.

And to top it off when I go to Overall Status I get "Video Decoder Encryption Error, Contact DJI for Hardware repair..."

Really not sure where to go from here so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've emailed DJI support but I'm hoping someone has an idea that I haven't been able to find.

I am getting a similar issue.... leave it on and see if it downloads RC update/....

Seems to be a common issue....

Lol. I've had it on for at least 10 minutes and nothing except the constant beeping from no craft connection. Light stays red the whole time. But I'll give it a shot again.

I updated to 1.8 this weekend and it bricked my Phantom. It can no longer connect to the RC. I have heard of several others that have had this same issue.

I have no idea what the cure may be so standing by for a new update or an explanation.

Where is DJI in this thread. Don't they have any input for all these bricked Phantoms?

Marc

Last edited:
Try formatting the card to fat32. Do a long format to clean the bugs etc. I had a similar issue when I tried to update a P3a. Did some reading and someone was told by DJI that was the format of preference at least for this purpose and AC did its thing in less then ten minutes. I used a small card that I have gotten from old cell phones. Good luck

Got it!!! I'm using an iPad mini and updated to the latest iOS today and it saw I needed the update, updated it and now Safe To Fly!

Not sure about using any other tablets but for the iPad just update to 9.3.2 which came out today and hopefully that fixes yours as well!

Reactions: Jim Wilkinson
I Succeeded... this is the advice i got from DJI... i think MAYBE the part that made the difference was to MOVE THE JOYSTICK.

Try uninstalling the app and reinstalling, then connect the mobile device to the remote controller via the USB cable. Then go into camera view of the app and move the joysticks and it should advise you to update the firmware on the remote. Also check what version is on the remote control because if it is less than 1.3.2 you cannot update via the app. You can check the About section of the DJI go app to view what your version is. Go to the last icon on the top at the right ( 3 dots), then scroll down to About. Here is a link on other options to updating the remote;

Got it!!! I'm using an iPad mini and updated to the latest iOS today and it saw I needed the update, updated it and now Safe To Fly!

Not sure about using any other tablets but for the iPad just update to 9.3.2 which came out today and hopefully that fixes yours as well!

Hi

This sounded like good news although my problem was loss of video on P3S.

Updated iOS and instead of losing video at 30-50m I now lose it at 10m consistently!

Good job with your ipad surviving! News is the iOS update is bricking a lot of those too!!!

Glad to hear you are back in the air!

OK this is going to be long and boring but I finally got it up and running. If this helps anyone then it is worth it. :D

NOTE: I am deleting everything but the .bin file on the SD card between each step.

What I find interesting in the .txt files is that it says success but I am never seeing the proper date or firmware release level ??

Did a deep FAT32 format on a 16gb card. Had previously used a 64gb card.

Loaded 1.7.6 to card and updated P3P. txt file shows success.

Result: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin

Result: Abort.

The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

========== 2015.08.15 09:59:04 =====================

The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

========== 2015.08.15 10:04:18 =====================

========== 2015.08.15 10:12:02 =====================

========== 2015.08.16 08:23:11 =====================

Upgrading ...

Put same card in RC and no update occurred just red flashing light. Waited 10 minutes.

Loaded the latest 1.8.8 .bin file to SD card after erasing everything.

Updated P3P with P3P only turned on.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======

========== 2015.08.15 09:59:04 =====================

========== 2015.08.15 10:04:18 =====================

========== 2015.08.15 10:12:02 =====================

========== 2015.08.16 08:23:11 =====================

Upgrading ...

Wonder why it is not showing a current date or current firmware ????????

Updated RC with the same SD card with only RC turned on.

Put same card in RC and no update occurred just red flashing light. Waited 10 minutes and got a beep,beep,beep.

Made sure Ipad mini2 was up to OS 9.3.2

Removed and reloaded the GO app from I-phone 5 and I-Pad Mini2.

Tried connecting with the I-Phone first and it said the RC needed a firmware upgrade. YEAAAAA headway. Updated to 1.6 but I had to run it twice to get it updated.

Updated RC via the GO app with the I-phone.

Using the I-Phone5 it is connected and everything is running normally.

Tried using I-Pad mini2 and it is working fine.

Calibrated IMU and compass and everything is fine.

In summary. I think my issue was that I was using a 64gb card and the RC would not update that way. The RC also would not update via the USB port with this release.

Sorry to make this so long but if it helps anyone then great.

Marc

Last edited:
I used a 2 GB card with deep format to fat32. Have another bird to do:(. Could probably fly without the update but the compass calibration said I have to redo so I don't know. Maybe just try recalibrate the compass and try a few short hops.

Took the Phantom out yesterday for the first time since about February. Ran fine then.
When I turned it on and connected it said Firmware update, so I powered down, went to the DJI site and downloaded the latest 1.8. I put the .bin file in the root of the sd card and powered on the craft. Updated just perfectly. I then installed the other battery and updated that as well, again no problems.

Then I took the same card and inserted into the remote so that could update also. I waited, and waited and waited and eventually it just started beeping since there was no connection to the craft, but it did not begin an update. The light stayed red the whole time.
I figured I'd at least test to see if they connect and although I can get video from the iPad and I can make changes, it still says RC Signal Lost. Full bars for my remote connection. Zero control of the craft.

So I hop on the forums for help and find some suggestions that I tried.

Reformatted SD card to exFat, nothing.
Tried 2nd SD card, nothing.
Tried 2nd card reader, nothing.
Tried connecting directly to craft, nothing.
I deleted the DJI app 3 times and reinstalled, nothing.
Once in the DJI app I went to the Academy button and held for a bit to show the firmware screen, it says "Firmware detection failed" so I can't even see what firmware I'm on and how to downgrade/upgrade.
Tried downloading the 1.7 firmware, nothing.

And to top it off when I go to Overall Status I get "Video Decoder Encryption Error, Contact DJI for Hardware repair..."

Really not sure where to go from here so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've emailed DJI support but I'm hoping someone has an idea that I haven't been able to find.
I had the same problem after update to 1.8 after many attempts sent it back to where purchased. They have now told me that the usb control board cannot pass the new firmware update. So it disabled it for safety reasons. That's all they have said ATM. They are fixing it. HE ALSO SAID NEVER UPDATE.

I had the same problem after update to 1.8 after many attempts sent it back to where purchased. They have now told me that the usb control board cannot pass the new firmware update. So it disabled it for safety reasons. That's all they have said ATM. They are fixing it. HE ALSO SAID NEVER UPDATE.

Yeah, I'm DONE updating for awhile. Last few updates went fine but this one got me. It's running right so 1.8 is where I'm staying.

Reactions: zacksomeone
Last night, I updated my P3 STANDARD to the latest firmware, which is 1.6.80. After successfully downloaded the package from DJI, I tried to update the new FW into my RC and aircraft. Unfortunately, the updating process is 'hanged' at 5% progress. After that, switched off the RC and aircraft, and turned them ON again. Then, there was no wifi SSID from my Phantom appear in the list of wifi signal available for me to connect it using my phone. Already re-installed the DJI GO apps at mt Samsung Note 4 mobile device. But the same problem still happening. Unable to detect wifi signal from my P3S thus unable me to connect to both my RC and the aircraft.

Anyone facing the same issue like mine?

Hope I could get some help here.

Thanks guys :)

I did the FW update as it kept saying required. Being a new drone owner I thought maybe I should download the update. Everything appeared to go as it was supposed to until I tried to use the P3S again. I keep getting RC Signal Lost with no control of drone. I am getting live video feed but cannot control gimbal and obviously cannot flow ith signal. DJI sucks!!! I don't feel confident enough to get too deep into the formatting the SD card. Can anyone offer some help? My drone is a worthless paperweight at this point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik