RC Shop burns down due to Lipo fire

Reaction score
Gee, really feel sorry for this guy...it sure makes me re-think how I store my lipo's...

Lipo's are no joke. Since I have an assortment of RC vehicles I have a variety of lipo's around. I keep mine in empty ammo cans. You can pick them up cheap at surplus stores, garage sales, craigslist, etc. Metal, air tight, and pretty much fireproof. This way I can keep them in my house without as much fear of a surprise lipo fire.

bb9c31ab212387b21de99c546cd6d364.jpg

LuvMyTJ said:
Lipo's are no joke. Since I have an assortment of RC vehicles I have a variety of lipo's around. I keep mine in empty ammo cans. You can pick them up cheap at surplus stores, garage sales, craigslist, etc. Metal, air tight, and pretty much fireproof. This way I can keep them in my house without as much fear of a surprise lipo fire.

bb9c31ab212387b21de99c546cd6d364.jpg
I have the same thing. I think I got mine on Amazon for about $10 or something

Started using LiPos about '06.

Those look like a photo of my ammo cans. ;)

This is the first time I've heard a retailer has had a loss.
Think of all the batts. in storage a manufacturers, warehouses, stores, etc.
You don't hear about fires much or at all except on planes now and again. At least I haven't.

I have heard of a homeowner losing their house to a LiPo charger/charging failure 4-5 years ago on a CP Heli forum.

Serious question: was he charging the batteries and they exploded or are lipo batteries of such a volatile nature they just spontaneously combust? There has to be more to this story.

sdtrojan said:
Serious question: was he charging the batteries and they exploded or are lipo batteries of such a volatile nature they just spontaneously combust? There has to be more to this story.
the cause was only the owners opinion. He admits he'd charged some, & had more charging when he left then in the shop/shed to go & make a coffee in the house

russianfront said:
WOW
Thanks for posting. I just assumed that the batteries in the Phantom were like any other battery and had my 3 just laying around the house.

Take great care with lipos. Watch the first one on safety and the second shows a lipo not connected or charging spontaneously explode into flames inside the EZ Drone shop...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBmnP6YEBKU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s[/youtube]

Thanks for posting those videos and all the info here....as a result, I have just ordered the ammo box for my lipos

Khudson7 said:
Thanks for posting those videos and all the info here....as a result, I have just ordered the ammo box for my lipos
For the relative low cost of a containment vessel you have made a good investment. Makes them easy to keep tract of too if you have a lot of RC's and batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20