Rc glitches

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just got a phantom 2, i got it bare without cameras as I have an fpv set and if i want to play around I will put that on it, I have just got it to teach someone how to fly a quadcopter,

I have noticed that it appears to have some problems with what look like RC glitches, but could be software related, the symptoms are predictable and repeatable, so I doubt its glitching.

What happens is the following:
when giving any command close to 100% such as pitch, if i give 100% throttle down the phantom basically stops moving, glitches in the air, and then proceeds to do what I wanted it to do.
It always happens when throttle at -100% is given with 100% on more channels,

I thought it might be a physical problem with the handset, but just throttle -100% doesnt appear to do anything abnormal, also the power light remains solid, no flickering, no signs of shorts,

it happens at any distance, almost as if the firmware is not allowing the pilot to be agressive, I have it in NAZA mode,

any ideas? I would also like to know if there is a way to make it more responsive and agressive?

thanks,

m00se said:
Hi guys

I have just got a phantom 2, i got it bare without cameras as I have an fpv set and if i want to play around I will put that on it, I have just got it to teach someone how to fly a quadcopter,

I have noticed that it appears to have some problems with what look like RC glitches, but could be software related, the symptoms are predictable and repeatable, so I doubt its glitching.

What happens is the following:
when giving any command close to 100% such as pitch, if i give 100% throttle down the phantom basically stops moving, glitches in the air, and then proceeds to do what I wanted it to do.
It always happens when throttle at -100% is given with 100% on more channels,

I thought it might be a physical problem with the handset, but just throttle -100% doesnt appear to do anything abnormal, also the power light remains solid, no flickering, no signs of shorts,

it happens at any distance, almost as if the firmware is not allowing the pilot to be agressive, I have it in NAZA mode,

any ideas? I would also like to know if there is a way to make it more responsive and agressive?

thanks,

so you're saying that when you go full down throttle the phantom hesitates to react? If that's what you mean then yes.. the firmware is programmed to decrease the descent rate to avoid VRS (Vortex ring state)... so in essence it is limiting your aggressiveness to avoid that situation.

Welcome to the forum !
If you want more zip you can try and go back to 1.8 or take full control fly in manual (takes little bit practice)
ATTI will give you a little more too .
GL!

buckeye,

I noticed that the descent rate is limited, it is not that that I refer to,

If I am at 100% tilt, then add 100% throttle down, the phantom stops moving forwards briefly, glitches in the air as if to isntantly maintain position, and stops coming down, when one of the sticks is released a little then it starts to do what it should again...

750R: I have tried atti, and it is a little more responsive, although it doesnt lock the position when you release the stick, it seems to drift many meters slowing down before it tries to lock, this gives a great feeling of being out of control.
I havent had the balls to try manual yet, I tried on a 250 quad some time ago and piled it right away,
750r

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm a bit confused by what you said. You are at 100% tilt, then 100% throttle down. I don't know why you would put your Phantom in that mode. I'm far from an expert, but what degree tilt do you mean by 100%? Do you mean maximum stick movement? Also, why are you killing the throttle with it in the air, at a maximum tilt?

Can you elaborate?

by 100% I mean 100% stick,

100% throttle down whilst moving shouldn't be a problem for a quad that has controlled descent speed, I obviously wouldnt do that on one that turns off the motors at -100% stick.

I will try to fly it again today and better document the problem, but it seems to be that when throttle is at close to -100% stick, it temporarily interrupts all RC commands, it might be -95% I cant tell that, but I do know that something wierd happens, and the phantom stops on a dime, which it doenst normally do, leading me to believe there is a software glitch somewhere because the normal ramping down of the speed doesnt happen, it stops dead, like i wish it would normally.

Good. That will help us help you! Also, how long have you had your Phantom? I assume everything worked fine before.
I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

I noticed the problem in the third flight, the first was a basic position hold test and some atti flying to make sure the phantom handles as it should , nothing serious,
flight two was checking the IOC and homing functions, and making sure that I could interrupt homing with ATTI, all ok,

Then flight 3 was when I started to give it some stick and fly it at max speeds, sometime during this is when I noticed the problem. I didnt think much of it and annoyingly tried to open the phantom to check all solder connections etc thinking that it was now good to go, annoyingly because one of the phillips head screws on the edge of the arms refused to loosen and I mashed it,

meaning that i will have trouble sending it back if this proves to be a fault :( I didnt manage to get it open due to that :(

What you are experiencing is auto landing mode. When you keep the throttle to -100% the phantom stops, hovers for a few seconds and starts a automatic descend, until you ease the throttle again. Very annoying and my biggest frustration with the P2 over the P1. Because of the limited descend speed you tend to have the stick at -100% because you have the feeling it doesn't descend fast enough.

750r said:
Welcome to the forum !
If you want more zip you can try and go back to 1.8 or take full control fly in manual (takes little bit practice)
ATTI will give you a little more too .
GL!

1.8 is the way to go, no descend speed limitation. But also a chance to get VRS with the standard 9" props. The 9445 are supposed to have less problems but I don't trust DJI's promise as they didn't change the descend limitation in the latest software. I expect that the new 9445's will be slightly less VRS invoking but there remains a risk. You could also try 8" P1 props. They make the quad a little more sluggish but you get less vibration (higher RPM's) and absolutely no VRS. It will take about 3 minutes of your total flying time but for the rest, once you get used to the different inertia you might never wanna go back to 9".

ok , so its an annoying "feature" good to know it isnt failing. thanks,

I might try the 1.8 firmware, but the phantom will be used for trianing before people are let loose with bigger quads, so in reality slower is better in the long run,
I have the 9443 props, I guess those are the old ones, ? I have no worries about VRS for now, Im flying a bare phantom with new batteries and leaving about 50% in them when I land, I am in no hurry to puff them or to suffer from prop wash,

I have been flying quads for 4.5 years now and have had it on some big 6kg rigs, and its not that much fun, especially when the rig costs more than a well specced car. I generally come down at an angle and controlled speed, I try to only come down vertical if there is a decent amount of wind to clean up the air under the cuad.

some other things I have noticed, are that 1) the battery came lose at takeoff. I heard a click noise when I pitched forward, 100% stick in atti. A friend said I must have hit a fly or something, but I landed to check, and the top battery clasp had come loose. I coudlnt get it to go back in properly until I had flown the second battery , then for some reason the first located perfectly.

2) The IOC is crap, if I fly forward with about 25% stick on yaw, it flys straight for about three turns, then veers off in the yaw direction. I have calibrated the compass at the flight site. I took all metalic objects out of pockets etc and did it nice and slow.

3) Are there any reported problems with the home position not updating? I tested the homing feature, and it landed within about 2m of the takeoff point of the previous flight, whereas the actual takeoff was at least 20m further away, I waited util i got the fast flashing green lights before takeoff and waited another min for good measure,
sometimes the fast green flash repeats whilst its waiting to fly.

other than that it seems like a fairly good platform as long as you want a totally dumbed down cuad

If you plug in the naza and with the tx on do the sliders all react properly for what ever stick movent you are doing. and also the thing you mentioned about the course lock makes me wonder if your S2 switch is working right or if its starting to crap out.

Try and see if all 3 postions show right on the slider in the naza and try gently wiggling the switch in all 3 positions and make sure the slider that shows what mode your in does not hop or skip around at all when you wiggle and jiggle the switch.

lake_flyer said:
What you are experiencing is auto landing mode. When you keep the throttle to -100% the phantom stops, hovers for a few seconds and starts a automatic descend, until you ease the throttle again. Very annoying and my biggest frustration with the P2 over the P1. Because of the limited descend speed you tend to have the stick at -100% because you have the feeling it doesn't descend fast enough.

This. And it happens at 90% stick down for 3 seconds. Raise stick over 10% to regain normal movement.

all switches and gimbals are fine in the GUI, I checked them well before even flying it, I had set up a naza m lite with a turnigy 9x about six months ago that had some problems with the 3 position switch and I had to do some serious tuning on the handset to get it to work , so I knew to make sure all was well this time

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20