RC firmware updates have reduced power by over half?

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of this, but I find it very intriguing and more importantly very disheartening if true.

after.png
before.png

I have two GL300Bs. One with the latest firmware and DBS/Itelite, and the other still brand new in the plastic with stock firmware 1.3something.

I really want one of those meters. Bad. I wanna know.

I have GL-300C and P3A, all latest firmware and few days ago I went 1700m in CE mode with no problem.

My p3p doesn't go past 550m for some reason, all up to date firmware. Any help would be great
Thanks.
Btw what is CE mode, im new to all this

CE is remote working mode for Europe and it has lower range than those in US which use FCC mode.

I live in Europe (CE), have a GL-300B and flying up to 6 kilometers distance with no problems.Just with a windsurf antenna.Latest firmware.
So I don't thing your firmware is the problem. Maybe your flying spot is. Try open spaces, no electricity cables, no houses etc.

How do you know that CE is less than makers max stated range? Please.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Screenshot_2016-05-29-20-57-55.png
I live in Europe (CE), have a GL-300B and flying up to 6 kilometers distance with no problems.Just with a windsurf antenna.Latest firmware.
So I don't thing your firmware is the problem. Maybe your flying spot is. Try open spaces, no electricity cables, no houses etc.

Took my P3A for its first distance run a few weeks back after owning it since January, with a GL300-B, totally stock and all the latest updates I started getting the picture break up and weak signal warning at 4000ft, I've since invested in some windsurfers, other than that it's still stock and no further firmware updates and thus time it went right upto 10000ft with no hint of picture loss or warnings, I can only imagine what the max distance would be if I kept going, frightening what a £5 mod has done

True firmware updates reduce range, sad really.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am running an ancient firmware. I used to be able to fly 1.6 miles with my 300A contoller. It broke so I swapped for a 300B. I can now fly 2.6 miles and could have gone further but RTH kicked in. No windsurfers or anything totally standard!
I truly think DJI are deliberately dropping range to avoid media and government pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: peterepeat69
The first pictures dont seem to add up

The specifications say FCC mode is 20dbm which is 100mw
CE mode is 16dbm which is 40mw

Regardless my stock unit in Europe goes 4.5km and probably more.

Although that's a popular opinion on the forums, there's absolutely no evidence to back it up.

I know there is a lot of unfounded speculation but is it true that the 300C does have reduced power?
Also it seem people with the latest updates do see a real drop in range. Why if it is not deliberate?
I am not really blaming DJI we all know how the media are determind to destroy our awesome hobby.

I know there is a lot of unfounded speculation but is it true that the 300C does have reduced power?
Also it seem people with the latest updates do see a real drop in range. Why if it is not deliberate?
I am not really blaming DJI we all know how the media are determind to destroy our awesome hobby.
If DJI were trying to reduce your range for some sort of regulatory compliance they wouldn't be doing it by just a tiny amount that the much publicised power decrease of the 300c.
And what about the (not small number of) flyers that continue to report no reduction of the range they experience?

A reduction of output power from .38 watts to .30 watts doesn't mean a 20% reduction in range.
The physics involved are much more complicated than that but most of the people making so much noise about this have no idea of the physics involved.
The effects of the small power reduction are insignificant when compared with the effects of local environmental conditions and interference.
If DJI wanted to nobble your range they would cut the power in half and everyone would see a reduction in range.
But that hasn't happened and DJI have no need to reduce your range.
They aren't getting any pressure from regulatory authorities.
The idea that they are secretly reducing your range to suck up to FAA etc just doesn't add up.

Reactions: liketogethigh
I fully understand the concepts. I used to be a Radio Amateur and my degree was in quantum mechanics even if it was a few years ago lol.
It just seems to me with all the restrictions each new update DJI releases they err on the side of caution.
BTW as you are a moderator how about sections for the DJI Matrice and Inspire? I have really been bitten by the drone bug and want to go further. Might end up doing some long range FPV stuff using fixed wing as well. They think nothing of 80 miles!

Keep going for the 20,000 mark:).
One more vote from me for the cheap windsurfers...

Baby steps lol, after the 4000ft flight I sort of had an idea of 10000ft after the windsurfers, after sailing out to my target (for now) I decided to take a screen shot of the one way trip, turned round and put the rc in the back of the estate car to free up my hands for the screen grab and it instantly lost signal and RTH kicked in D'oh!!! Before I had chance it was already in the high 9''s and on its way back, in a little panic I forgot to cancel RTH and go back out to 10000 or even further

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4