RC Firmware update bricks P4

Reaction score
I am flying out to a job site in the morning. So this morning I checked for updates before packing up my gear. RC firmware update required. I do the update, and now my iPad Air II (iOS version 11) will not connect to the RC or the Aircraft. I flew it about a month ago with zero issues. I have searched a hundred threads, and done everything I can think of, wiped iPAD in iTunes, formatted SD card, cleared DJI GO 4 caches and deleted reinstalled, swapped cables, turned everything on and off in multiple sequences, refreshed firmware install in DJI Assistant 2, reupgrading RC fails at 2%, rolling back fails at 2% etc etc etc.

The RC is connected to the aircraft, I can tilt the gimbal and fire the motors, but the DJI Go 4 app is not connected to the RC or the aircraft. I have a second P4 that i have not done the RC firmware upgrade to, and the app connects fine with that aircraft. It does state that an RC firmware upgrade is required, but I am not going to do that... I hope I can limp through the job with the aircraft that still connects. I am flying the mission on Thursday, so I have a little time to continue to troubleshoot, but I am running out of airspeed and ideas. Any help out there?

Last edited:
I have a few questions for you:

1) Did you also upgrade the Phantom firmware? DJI doesn't just release remote controller updates.
2) Did you try installing iOS 11.01?
3) Did you try using a different mobile device to rule out the mobile device as the cause?

I had a similar thing happen yesterday. I have a Phantom 4 and Ipad Mini4. IOS 10.3.3. The drone and remote worked fine, but DJI Go4 would not let me log in. It normally logs in automatically. I clicked on the password block, but it never let me type anything. I flew using Litchi instead. Litchi reported an error on startup, but it went by very quickly and the screen was in the sun so I couldn't read it fast enough. Afterwards everything appeared fine and it flew normally using Litchi. I shut down everything, including the Ipad, after flying the first battery. DJI Go4 worked fine when I restarted everything. It logged in automatically like it normally does. I have no clue as to what the problem was on the first flight.

When I was a school kid in the '60's and '70's they said that computers would make our lives more simple. That has not been the case so far! :)

I have a few questions for you:

1) Did you also upgrade the Phantom firmware? DJI doesn't just release remote controller updates.
2) Did you try installing iOS 11.01?
3) Did you try using a different mobile device to rule out the mobile device as the cause?
After it stopped working, I updated the bird via DJI assistant 2 and iOS to 11. I tried three different devices, none worked, but did work on the second aircraft. Thanks for the response.

Which firmware versions do you see listed in the General Settings --> About section of DJI GO? Which version of the firmware does the DJI Assistant 2 application show is installed on your Phantom?

Which firmware versions do you see listed in the General Settings --> About section of DJI GO? Which version of the firmware does the DJI Assistant 2 application show is installed on your Phantom?
The go app lists "unknown" for the aircraft firmware as it is not connected. Assistant says it is the most current and seemingly installed correctly. Go app lists rc firmware as 1.8, but assistant lists 1.9.3. I will be in the hotel and able to trouble shoot more in about three hours. I appreciate you!

Are you able to downgrade the remote controller firmware like this?

Are you able to downgrade the remote controller firmware like this?
No, I tried that. It fails after just a minute or so. The go app is not linked to the RC either, despite the cable... also I do not have access to assistant anymore. Screwed by my IT department again.

I power on rc, then go app, and go app immediately says check Big version info and then latest version detected before I ever power on the aircraft. The bar at the top that says connected or disconnected is grey and says nothing. When I go to control settings it says my c1 and c2 buttons are not defined.

Checked for updates in the about menu, nothing, does not display the RC serial number... N/A

If I turn off the RC first, the word disconnected pops up in the grey box that I wish was green and said ready to fly.

I retested the other aircraft, and it is functional, so I will hopefully execute in the am. This is why I have a back up. Msinger, I really appreciate your help. I will post an update post mis

Try this procedure to see if you can get DJI GO to connect and prompt you to install the remote controller update again.

I have not tried that yet. My mission today was successful with my back up aircraft. I will try this RC reset after the dust settles and I get back home. Msinger, Thanks for all your support. I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Try this procedure to see if you can get DJI GO to connect and prompt you to install the remote controller update again.

This started to work, it had me to reinstalling the upgrade, but then the upgrade install failed. I tried a few times. I am biting the bullet and taking both my aircraft to the local repair shop for some TLC. Thanks again for all the effort Msinger.

A huge take away from this for me is that if you are flying commercially, it is pretty important to have a backup aircraft. It saved my rear end. The client never knew there was anything amiss.

Update. Local repair guys thoroughly tested and found that the faulty RC is "Not Transmitting". It is a physical problem that occurred coincidentally with the firmware update. This is validated because they successfully updated RC # 2 and linked to aircraft # 1 and then aircraft # 2 and it worked fine. I chatted with DJI support and explained, and they were quick to send a shipping label and suggest replacement. We will see how long that takes. I shipped the RC to California on October 13th. Stay tuned.

New RC was Recieved within 2 weeks. No problems no fuss. Here is a good DJI customer service story for you. I have no complaints. In fact, it was all very smooth and painless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers