RC Controller stick channels crossed

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Reposted this from the P2V+ Discussion area since I hadn't received any replies. Here's the issue. Regardless of mode the RC controller is in (Mode 2 default), the "flying stick" (pitch and roll) is crossed with the throttle/yaw stick...meaning...one stick is pitch and yaw and the other is roll and throttle. Needless to say this is an incredibly difficult bird to fly.

I am repairing this P2V+ for my son's company and the operator's have crashed it numerous times. No wonder. Being a pilot, it would seem natural for one stick to control pitch and roll. The controller version is the one without the camera tilt wheel and without battery monitor LEDs. I have updated all software, fixed the camera gimbal, upgraded the GPS antenna with a thicker antenna for greater sat gain.

Interestingly the RC Assistant software diagram agrees with exactly what the sticks are doing, but the DJI manual is the exact opposite (pitch and roll on one stick). This is really ambiguous. I would think there may have been a factory error in wiring the sticks but the fact that the Assistant software says it is right makes me think something else is going on. Or do I have it wrong?

Last issue. Cannot get a good compass calibration. Read everything. Done everything over and over. IMU calibration, etc. All indicates good on Assistant. Phantom dance calibrates green in horizontal but red in vertical. Time for a new compass?

Your help appreciated. p

Hey P,
The LEFT stick
( up-down ) = throttle
&
( left-right ) = yaw ( spin like a record spins on a player )

The RIGHT stick
( up-down ) pitch ( forward - backward flight )
&
( left-right ) Roll ( side - side flight )
Sounds like faulty wiring in Tx, I'd need to see pictures to verify!

Next:
Compass, in PC assistant, what is your compass ( MOD VALUE )?
This might be way out of whack, and might need to be reset!
( cannot remember the range, but it is in the manual was like 700-2800 or something like that, if it is OVER or UNDER the required range, the compass cannot calibrate itself!
Also check connection to GPS/motherboard ( depending on version ) and at compass as well, make sure they are FULLY plunged in!

Hope this helps!
Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey P,
The LEFT stick
( up-down ) = throttle
&

The RIGHT stick
&

Next:
( cannot remember the range, but it is in the manual was like 700-2800 or something like that, if it is OVER or UNDER the required range, the compass cannot calibrate itself!
Also check connection to GPS/motherboard ( depending on version ) and at compass as well, make sure they are FULLY plunged in!

Hope this helps!
Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

Re Compass: Mod value is about 1200 as I remember. I was within range. I'll recheck connections yet again. Re Crossed sticks: I believe it should be as you posted above and is as it is presented in DJI manual (pitch and roll in one stick). But it is presented differently in the RC Assistant software. I just took the controller apart. I'll take some pics of the internals tomorrow and a screenshot of Assistant tomorrow and get it posted. Thanks J

IMG_1457.JPG
Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 9.18.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 9.14.54 PM.png
IMG_1457.JPG
Hey P,
The LEFT stick
( up-down ) = throttle
&

The RIGHT stick
&

Next:

Hope this helps!
Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

Here are some pictures of Tx internals. The S1/S2 switch wiring/board connector bundle is disconnected for clarity. Zooming in you can see that the wiring bundle/connector for each stick includes all the wiring from both pots to the board for both sides. In other words, bundles isolated to each stick, not crossed. I would think this is correct from a manufacturing standpoint.

I included screenshots of the DJI manual and RC Assistant software of stick operation.

Wiring looks correct,
Try unplugging one of the sticks completely, from mother board, hook to RC assistant, see what that stick does ( like throttle/yaw ) or what? Then try the opposite plug, see what it does?
Lastly try swapping the plugs, click mode 1, see what happens! I think the motherboard may have a short in it, as mode changes left stick to right, and right stick to left? This should let us know if the motherboard is faulty!
If none of the options above work, try to reinstall firmware, recalibrate through RC assistant, then again in PC assistant! If still no, you might want to find a loaner Tx to check, or replace all together? Very weird?

J Dot

Wiring looks correct,
Try unplugging one of the sticks completely, from mother board, hook to RC assistant, see what that stick does ( like throttle/yaw ) or what? Then try the opposite plug, see what it does?
Lastly try swapping the plugs, click mode 1, see what happens! I think the motherboard may have a short in it, as mode changes left stick to right, and right stick to left? This should let us know if the motherboard is faulty!
If none of the options above work, try to reinstall firmware, recalibrate through RC assistant, then again in PC assistant! If still no, you might want to find a loaner Tx to check, or replace all together? Very weird?

J Dot

Thanks J. I'm thinking I may have thrown myself off here and in doing so, all of you with my post. I got to thinking that it was the drone that crashed numerous times before I had the chance to try and repair it, NOT the Tx. Don't have contact with the guy that did the previous repair so I can't ask questions. The last guy that crashed it said that he thought there was another ESC was bad as it was difficult to fly. True that ONE ESC was replaced with a newer 2.1 ESC. I tested the motor rpms with a laser tach and everything seemed nominal. The bird can fly, but its hard. That's when the issue of crossed channels on the sticks came up. Soooo...I notice that the whole plastic body on the drone has been replaced because the serial number sticker is missing on the bottom of the drone. Not unusual with a body replacement. Perhaps some connections were crossed in the bird when the guts were swapped out into the new body? Where can I find a really clear pic or diagram of a the inside of a P2V+ to cross reference to what I have? In the meantime, I'll do the checks J suggests.

I would ask some of the members in the plus section, to video/pictures the inside of their bird for you, I know I've seen it here before, but cannot remember where, I do have complete pics of the non plus vision, but not sure if they the same?

J Dot

Or maybe post some pics of yours, so they can check on theirs?

J dot

J did what you suggested with RC assistant paying particular attention to A,E,T,R channels responding to stick input. Everything is correct. ...but the drone responds differently. Time to open the drone and see if I can find a crossed connection. Posted my query on P2V+ for a pic per your suggestion. Again, thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20