Rc controller stick channels crossed

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here's the issue. Regardless of mode the RC controller is in (Mode 2 default), the "flying stick" (pitch and roll) is crossed with the throttle/yaw stick...meaning...one stick is pitch and yaw and the other is roll and throttle. Needless to say this is an incredibly difficult bird to fly.

I am repairing this P2V+ for my son's company and the operator's have crashed it numerous times. No wonder. Being a pilot, it would seem natural for one stick to control pitch and roll. The controller version is the one without the camera tilt wheel and without battery monitor LEDs. I have updated all software, fixed the camera gimbal, upgraded the GPS antenna with a thicker antenna for greater sat gain.

Interestingly the RC Assistant software diagram agrees with exactly what the sticks are doing, but the DJI manual is the exact opposite (pitch and roll on one stick). This is really ambiguous. I would think there may have been a factory error in wiring the sticks but the fact that the Assistant software says it is right makes me think something else is going on. Or do I have it wrong?

Last issue. Cannot get a good compass calibration. Read everything. Done everything over and over. IMU calibration, etc. All indicates good on Assistant. Phantom dance calibrates green in horizontal but red in vertical. Time for a new compass?

Your help appreciated. p

I had a problem with my compass not calibrating like yours. I had to take outside and do it. Also when I did manually flipping the switch numerous times it worked. But when I used the app it would hang up on the vertical. I think there's a download to just set the controller instead of the assistant. You have to use the use the usb plug on the controller. On some controllers it either outside or in the controller. You set the mode and update it if needed

I had a problem with my compass not calibrating like yours. I had to take outside and do it. Also when I did manually flipping the switch numerous times it worked. But when I used the app it would hang up on the vertical. I think there's a download to just set the controller instead of the assistant. You have to use the use the usb plug on the controller. On some controllers it either outside or in the controller. You set the mode and update it if needed
Thanks Mori. Once I get this thing back together I will try that. p

So let me clarify
RC assist is on MODE2?
Phantom assist as all sticks in NORM?

You mentioned the P2 has been crashed.

Have you opened up the P2 and checked the M1 wiring (motor cable plugged into the NAZA)? Has this been modified in anyway? How are you testing this - on ground without props and listening to motor revs? Or you are doing this airborne?? If on ground then your M1 cable could be upside down and you will flip on take off.

Have you opened up the remote and checked the wiring? Has this been modified in anyway? The remote controller board should have 2 sets of wiring. 1 set is for the left stick + toggle switch and the other set for the right stick+ toggle switch.

So let me clarify
RC assist is on MODE2?
Phantom assist as all sticks in NORM?

You mentioned the P2 has been crashed.

Have you opened up the P2 and checked the M1 wiring (motor cable plugged into the NAZA)? Has this been modified in anyway? How are you testing this - on ground without props and listening to motor revs? Or you are doing this airborne?? If on ground then your M1 cable could be upside down and you will flip on take off.

Have you opened up the remote and checked the wiring? Has this been modified in anyway? The remote controller board should have 2 sets of wiring. 1 set is for the left stick + toggle switch and the other set for the right stick+ toggle switch.

Hi Mako,

To answer your questions. I have opened up the P2 and checked the wiring against other pictures of internal P2V+ wiring. All normal. I did the same with the controller. All normal. Not modified in any way. This P2 had been previously crashed at least twice and cannot contact the person who did repair. The body has been replaced since the serial number sticker of the phantom is not on the new body. One esc was replaced previously. I replaced all four props with DJI originals. I repaired the gimbal. I replaced the gps antenna with a 4mm antenna (upgrade) and shielded gps wiring and tighten gps connector pins. I installed latest P2, RC Assistant software and calibrated IMU. I calibrated sticks in Mode 2 (default). I noticed that the aetr axes were crossed in assistant. I took a screenshot of the crossed axes and posted this in a similar thread in the general forum. I switched to mode 1 and the crossed axes followed the sticks. I checked to see that all four motors would free spin. Then I ground checked rpm with props on at idle and a laser tach. All normal. Knowing this, I nevertheless attempted to fly the P2. I could not get a good compass calibration, but had sat coverage. I flew the P2 and confirmed the crossed axes. This was a very difficult and short flight. The operator of the last crash though another esc had gone bad, but now I'm thinking that the crossed axes confused the operator. I'm going to reinstall software and let you all know the outcome. Thanks, P

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair