RC button "stuck??" DJI customer service OMG :(

Reaction score
i purchased my phantom 4 about a month ago....i love it...its amazing. I use it all the time and have no issues.....until now.
My power button on my remote control all the sudden seems to have gotten stuck in the down position. It doesnt respond at all....no clicking feel when i press on it. I have tried to gently move it sideways to see if it was stuck and would let loose....I have tapped on it lightly. I dont know what else to do.
I have been chatting with DJI's online customer service and I am absolutely floored by how Removed the person on the other end of that chat seems to be. I have heard horror stories about how bad their service is but was hoping that was all fixed by now....
Here's my chat(below)..... I know its long but trust me....its worth reading....
anyone have a fix for this so I dont have to send it in to these people????????

Hello,welcome to our website!How may I help you today?

I have a phantom 4 that i bought like a month or so ago

and the power button on the remote seems to be stuck

it used to slightly move downward and click

now it does nothing like its stuck

10:49:42
i was hoping there was a fix for this that was easy so I wouldnt have to send it in as I have an event I need it for in the coming days

10:51:00
the white lights at the bottom i guess that show the battery life of the remote are flashing and wont stop

it was 4 lights now its down to 2

Yes I suggest that we send it in for repair. Can you send me a photo of this problem please

10:52:12
a photo of a button that wont move?

Sending file 20160620_105238.jpg
"20160620_105238.jpg" Sent succeeded.
10:55:15
how long will the repair take? I have a wedding I have to video at the end of the week

10:57:33
It depends. Our repair center will have to evaluate it

I'm going to have to cancel my job then huh

10:59:41
please tell me what i need to do to get this fixed

11:01:02
Let me check

11:04:21
So you mean you can't press the power button?

i press it and it doesnt move at all....usually it moves down slightly and clicks

it doesnt move or click

its like it is stuck down

i can not turn it on or off

and the lights are flashing continuously

Okay we're going to have to send it in for repair.

11:05:24
showing me the battery levels

yeah you said that

May I ask what country you're in?

i'm in Texas

USA

11:06:39
Okay, Do you want me to proceed in making you a ticket for repair?

11:08:17
well yeah?

thats the only way to get it fixed right?

Yes I'm afraid so

11:09:58
well lets do that

i need to get this back asap so I need to get it sent in asap

Okay please fill in the following details

Shipping Address (no PO box):
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Brief Description of damage or technical issue:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried to fix the issue before contacting support:
Do you have DJI care:
Full Name:
Email Address:

11:11:10
210-

Phantom 4

5/14/16

ordered it from best buy

11:12:19
power button will not respond

i have not tried to fix it

I have no clue if i have DJI care

Will Sherman

[email protected]

11:13:35
May I ask for your address please

11:15:23
Okay thank you let me create a ticket for you please wait

11:16:59
Okay here is your RMA# 0620201678890310158

and Ticket #310158 for your reference

You'll receive an email with instructions on how to go about on your repair

Is there anything else?

11:18:12
uh are you going to send me some type of shipping label or something?

am i having to pay for this?

Shipping label - Yes

In regards to the repair costs, warranty and non-warranty repairs would be determined by our repair staff upon receiving the unit. If the unit is covered under the warranty, then you would not incur any charges. If for some reason there is any payment required for a non-warranty repair, you would be sent an invoice prior to starting any repairs so that you may decide if you would like to move forward with the service.

yes you are going to send one or yes I have to pay for it?

Shipping label - Yes

11:19:15
yes doesnt answer the question

yes to which one

In regards to the repair costs, warranty and non-warranty repairs would be determined by our repair staff upon receiving the unit. If the unit is covered under the warranty, then you would not incur any charges. If for some reason there is any payment required for a non-warranty repair, you would be sent an invoice prior to starting any repairs so that you may decide if you would like to move forward with the service.

really? repeating yourself?

Yes our repair center will have to evaluate this

its a month old, in what world would a button no longer working not be covered by warranty?

11:20:31
wow, the horror stories I hear about the customer service you guys have is starting to show true

It will depend on them with regards to repair cost

As for now I reallt cannot say

why is the customer info sheet blank if I gave you all the info already

ugh

11:22:21
The details you gave me is for the repair ticket

The customer sheet is for you to fill out

why am i responsible for the shipping

if its a warranty issue i shouldnt have to pay for anything

We will issue you shipping labels

you just said i had to pay for it

wtf

11:23:22
i asked you that twice

what does BACK STORY mean on the info sheet?

What I meant was for shipping - Yes, it would be provided by us

how do I know if i have dji care?

11:24:23
i do not need dji care if the item is still under warranty correct?

how do I know the craft and camera serial numbers, do i need that if its only an issue with the remote and not the drone itself?

The repair team will know if you have DJI Care

its asking me to say yes or no

11:25:24
i need to know apparently in order to fill this out

Yes you have to fill in every information in the customer sheet please

omg

please answer my questions so that I can

you are very very very very very very confusing

11:26:36
May I ask if you recall purchasing DJI Care?

no i dont, I purchased the item which comes with a warranty

i dont even know what DJI care is

is it an extended warranty?

Okay, then you probably don't have one

if my item is under warranty still would i need DJI care?

No

11:27:37
no to which questino

no its not an extended warranty or no i dont need it

Q:What is DJI Care?
A:To provide you with a better user experience and worry-free flight, we are pleased to launch the DJI Care Protection Plan, a service plan that provides you with peace of mind, covering damage to your DJI aircraft, gimbal or camera sustained during normal use. During DJI Care’s period of validity, if damages occur accidentally under normal use, the repair fees and related costs incurred will be covered by DJI.

11:28:55
ok so thats if the item gets damaged somehow due to crash or something correct?

obviously a button that stops working that isnt due to something damaging it would not need that

how do i find my craft and camera serial number and do i actually need to put that info down if my drone and camera are not even being sent it??

in

11:30:21
您好,欢迎您访问!请问有什么需要咨询?

i'm not chinese

11:31:40
Yes sorry about that, how may I help you?

wtf?

how may you help me?

read the questions i asked you

11:34:59
Sorry about that you got disconnected. May I ask what question please

i'm starting all over??????????

PLEASE HELP! =(

Last edited by a moderator:
trying going to best buy and return it

i purchased my phantom 4 about a month ago....i love it...its amazing. I use it all the time and have no issues.....until now.
My power button on my remote control all the sudden seems to have gotten stuck in the down position. It doesnt respond at all....no clicking feel when i press on it. I have tried to gently move it sideways to see if it was stuck and would let loose....I have tapped on it lightly. I dont know what else to do.
I have been chatting with DJI's online customer service and I am absolutely floored by how retarded the person on the other end of that chat seems to be. I have heard horror stories about how bad their service is but was hoping that was all fixed by now....
Here's my chat(below)..... I know its long but trust me....its worth reading....
anyone have a fix for this so I dont have to send it in to these people????????

Hello,welcome to our website!How may I help you today?

I have a phantom 4 that i bought like a month or so ago

and the power button on the remote seems to be stuck

it used to slightly move downward and click

now it does nothing like its stuck

10:49:42
i was hoping there was a fix for this that was easy so I wouldnt have to send it in as I have an event I need it for in the coming days

10:51:00
the white lights at the bottom i guess that show the battery life of the remote are flashing and wont stop

it was 4 lights now its down to 2

Yes I suggest that we send it in for repair. Can you send me a photo of this problem please

10:52:12
a photo of a button that wont move?

Sending file 20160620_105238.jpg
"20160620_105238.jpg" Sent succeeded.
10:55:15
how long will the repair take? I have a wedding I have to video at the end of the week

10:57:33
It depends. Our repair center will have to evaluate it

I'm going to have to cancel my job then huh

10:59:41
please tell me what i need to do to get this fixed

11:01:02
Let me check

11:04:21
So you mean you can't press the power button?

i press it and it doesnt move at all....usually it moves down slightly and clicks

it doesnt move or click

its like it is stuck down

i can not turn it on or off

and the lights are flashing continuously

Okay we're going to have to send it in for repair.

11:05:24
showing me the battery levels

yeah you said that

May I ask what country you're in?

i'm in Texas

USA

11:06:39
Okay, Do you want me to proceed in making you a ticket for repair?

11:08:17
well yeah?

thats the only way to get it fixed right?

Yes I'm afraid so

11:09:58
well lets do that

i need to get this back asap so I need to get it sent in asap

Okay please fill in the following details

Shipping Address (no PO box):
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Brief Description of damage or technical issue:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried to fix the issue before contacting support:
Do you have DJI care:
Full Name:
Email Address:

11:11:10
210-

Phantom 4

5/14/16

ordered it from best buy

11:12:19
power button will not respond

i have not tried to fix it

I have no clue if i have DJI care

Will Sherman

[email protected]

11:13:35
May I ask for your address please

11:15:23
Okay thank you let me create a ticket for you please wait

11:16:59
Okay here is your RMA# 0620201678890310158

and Ticket #310158 for your reference

You'll receive an email with instructions on how to go about on your repair

Is there anything else?

11:18:12
uh are you going to send me some type of shipping label or something?

am i having to pay for this?

Shipping label - Yes

yes you are going to send one or yes I have to pay for it?

Shipping label - Yes

11:19:15
yes doesnt answer the question

yes to which one

really? repeating yourself?

Yes our repair center will have to evaluate this

its a month old, in what world would a button no longer working not be covered by warranty?

11:20:31
wow, the horror stories I hear about the customer service you guys have is starting to show true

It will depend on them with regards to repair cost

As for now I reallt cannot say

why is the customer info sheet blank if I gave you all the info already

ugh

11:22:21
The details you gave me is for the repair ticket

The customer sheet is for you to fill out

why am i responsible for the shipping

if its a warranty issue i shouldnt have to pay for anything

We will issue you shipping labels

you just said i had to pay for it

wtf

11:23:22
i asked you that twice

what does BACK STORY mean on the info sheet?

What I meant was for shipping - Yes, it would be provided by us

how do I know if i have dji care?

11:24:23
i do not need dji care if the item is still under warranty correct?

how do I know the craft and camera serial numbers, do i need that if its only an issue with the remote and not the drone itself?

The repair team will know if you have DJI Care

its asking me to say yes or no

11:25:24
i need to know apparently in order to fill this out

Yes you have to fill in every information in the customer sheet please

omg

please answer my questions so that I can

you are very very very very very very confusing

11:26:36
May I ask if you recall purchasing DJI Care?

no i dont, I purchased the item which comes with a warranty

i dont even know what DJI care is

is it an extended warranty?

Okay, then you probably don't have one

if my item is under warranty still would i need DJI care?

No

11:27:37
no to which questino

no its not an extended warranty or no i dont need it

Q:What is DJI Care?
A:To provide you with a better user experience and worry-free flight, we are pleased to launch the DJI Care Protection Plan, a service plan that provides you with peace of mind, covering damage to your DJI aircraft, gimbal or camera sustained during normal use. During DJI Care’s period of validity, if damages occur accidentally under normal use, the repair fees and related costs incurred will be covered by DJI.

11:28:55
ok so thats if the item gets damaged somehow due to crash or something correct?

obviously a button that stops working that isnt due to something damaging it would not need that

how do i find my craft and camera serial number and do i actually need to put that info down if my drone and camera are not even being sent it??

in

11:30:21
您好,欢迎您访问!请问有什么需要咨询?

i'm not chinese

11:31:40
Yes sorry about that, how may I help you?

wtf?

how may you help me?

read the questions i asked you

11:34:59
Sorry about that you got disconnected. May I ask what question please

i'm starting all over??????????

PLEASE HELP! =(
just another reason I wont buy from dji every again stick with autel and there great service

It's obvious you have a problem and you were wound up going into this chat.

I read the entire chat you posted.
The person was polite and was trying to help you. I wouldn't describe this one as "Removed".
I am going to guess you haven't had to deal with Sony's level 1 Tech "support" staff or good old TimeWarner, Lenovo or Dell.

NOT saying it's acceptable but...

The chat is permeated with a sense of entitlement, impatience and arrogance coming from your end.
That never helps.

For instance, I had no issues understanding which of your questions (s)he was answering though you seemed confused and asked several times, yes/ no to which question?

You didn't even say hello, greetings or anything along those lines to establish a connection with the person (or the bot) on the other end.

You came away unhappy because of the other person not doing/ writing what you think (s)he should have done/ written.

What did you expect, that they will just overnight you a free controller?

I would offer you the following to recalibrate your perspective on things:

1) an internship in retail sales or technical support at Citibank, DJI or Apple.

2) a shopping and research trip to Spain, France or Haiti to find out about customer service practices and satisfaction guidelines. In France, top tiers banking staff support supervisors will hang up on you.

Did you receive the email they said they'd said with their instructions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Norval and Sim597
QD Electronics cleaner with ptfe is good for that...unless the plastic is broken...i would try the cleaner tho before having to send it in...its nit messy and leaves no residue

I would still go in and try cant hurt anything
Yes, go to Best Buy without the box and let them take care of that crappy controller.
Where does it say you need the box so the freaking button works appropriate or that warranty is voided if box is lost.
Go there and dont leave without another brand new P4, and tell them they can keep the box

Reactions: flpholt
@Will Sherman

Please read below. Do you see what I mean?
Here is an example of the attitudes you have to deal with when operating a retail operation.

I urge you guys to travel the world and to be kind to others.

Yes, go to Best Buy without the box and let them take care of that crappy controller.
Where does it say you need the box so the freaking button works appropriate or that warranty is voided if box is lost.
Go there and dont leave without another brand new P4, and tell them they can keep the box

@Will Sherman

Please read below. Do you see what I mean?
Here is an example of the attitudes you have to deal with when operating a retail operation.

I urge you guys to travel the world and to be kind to others.
what is wrong with that if you spent that much money and your rc broke bet you wouldn't be happy either

what is wrong with that if you spent that much money and your rc broke bet you wouldn't be happy either

Hi there

It's hard to believe I have to explain it but I'll try.

First of all, this isn't about money (the amount of which is not much in the grand scheme of things).
I have no idea why people always bring money into these situations.
Your statement infers that if it were $1 as opposed to $50,000, you'd let go.
What about right/ wrong and the time you'll never get back? How much is that worth?

To me, it's all relative. We don't know our friend Will circumstances and whether he is interested in spending time on this. He may be in a position to go out and buy another one or he may not if he saved up and thought hard about making this purchase.

If he decides to seek resolution by going through Best Buy, please bear in mind that Best Buy has got nothing to do with this.
It's like blaming the pastor because your crops were bad this year.

Best Buy will still help in all likelihood (though they don't have to = they are not the manufacturer) but you don't see a better way of doing this? "I don't have the box and I don't care, my thing doesn't work and I don't care I am passed your return policy window. I don't care, I am not leaving".

Manufacturing is complex. YouTube has so many videos along the veins of "how is it made".
So assuming the owner in this case didn't spill his can of his sugary drink onto the controller, if the part simply failed (did the button get stuck in the up or down position?), DJI will determine that and fix or replace his controller.
Every manufacturer uses repair data to improve their design and processes.
They are not in the business of pissing people off and wasting money on warranty claims.

What I try to convey to the companies I have to deal with is the time and energy it takes to make things right. If they are nice, they may compensate you. But you cannot expect it. They don't have to.
It's akin to saying by driving on public roads, you understand and accept the risk of being on the receiving end of something unfortunate and terrible happening through no fault of yours.
Its isn't like DJI is out selling products with a planned obsolescence of 35 days.

Makes sense?

yes but dji has have issues with bad plastic and they know about it and still put out product that is breaking this is a well documented issue even my friend had to send his in for same reason and yes for what they cost should be putting out a product that button doesn't break as simple as a turn on

yes but dji has have issues with bad plastic and they know about it and still put out product that is breaking this is a well documented issue even my friend had to send his in for same reason and yes for what they cost should be putting out a product that button doesn't break as simple as a turn on

Ah! Well, then that is different.

I will be using a search engine to research what to you typed.
However if you have anything handy you'd like to point out in the meantime, I'd love to see it.

Car manufacturers have indeed used cheaper and faulty parts (they knew to cause issues potentially) and they were caught.

If the US we have to wait until the marketplace and lawyers do their thing.
In China, which many here have never been to, the government hands out the death penalty in many cases. Ask the family of the executives who were running a company selling tainted baby milk.

In both cases, the offending company won't be around.

I always remind people, we are buying into new technology. Inconvenient and perhaps bad things can and will happen.

No one remembers the poor early adopters who went out and spent a lot of money and time getting the first drones, GoPro camera, video transmission set-up, the modded controllers etc....

Ah! Well, then that is different.

I will be using a search engine to research what to you typed.
However if you have anything handy you'd like to point out in the meantime, I'd love to see it.

Car manufacturers have indeed used cheaper and faulty parts (they knew to cause issues potentially) and they were caught.

If the US we have to wait until the marketplace and lawyers do their thing.
In China, which many here have never been to, the government hands out the death penalty in many cases. Ask the family of the executives who were running a company selling tainted baby milk.

In both cases, the offending company won't be around.

I always remind people, we are buying into new technology. Inconvenient and perhaps bad things can and will happen.

No one remembers the poor early adopters who went out and spent a lot of money and time getting the first drones, GoPro camera, video transmission set-up, the modded controllers etc....
its just like the shells cracking dji knew about it but where hush on subject same as remotes a lot of people have had issues with plastic breaking inside dji wants to stay ahead in game need to fix issues and customer service or there day of being on top is over

It's obvious you have a problem and you were wound up going into this chat.

I read the entire chat you posted.
The person was polite and was trying to help you. I wouldn't describe this one as "Removed".
I am going to guess you haven't had to deal with Sony's level 1 Tech "support" staff or good old TimeWarner, Lenovo or Dell.

NOT saying it's acceptable but...

The chat is permeated with a sense of entitlement, impatience and arrogance coming from your end.
That never helps.

For instance, I had no issues understanding which of your questions (s)he was answering though you seemed confused and asked several times, yes/ no to which question?

You didn't even say hello, greetings or anything along those lines to establish a connection with the person (or the bot) on the other end.

You came away unhappy because of the other person not doing/ writing what you think (s)he should have done/ written.

What did you expect, that they will just overnight you a free controller?

I would offer you the following to recalibrate your perspective on things:

1) an internship in retail sales or technical support at Citibank, DJI or Apple.

2) a shopping and research trip to Spain, France or Haiti to find out about customer service practices and satisfaction guidelines. In France, top tiers banking staff support supervisors will hang up on you.

Did you receive the email they said they'd said with their instructions?

I was not upset going into this chat, I was scared, I have heard horror stories of their customer service but most of them are old so I had hoped that had changed. I was short and to the point through out most of the chat because I am at work and was typing while dealing with customers here and didnt want to get cut off if I didnt answer them right away. I had already spent about 30min on hold on the phone as well.
When I ask two questions before I get a response to the first one because they take so long to answer and then they answer with a simple yes but don't clarify which question they are answering. That isn't clear. I don't care who you work for that isn't clear. As far as my expectation. I had hoped that they would just email me a slip that would be filled out with the info I gave them with the packing slip. Me having to fill that out was no big deal but when it took another 5 or 10 min to get more questions answered from them about what the proper answers were it was more frustrating than it should have been. And all the sudden I get chat in Chinese and they said I was disconnected so I had to start all over? That is acceptable to you and would not frustrate you at all?
I don't feel entitled to crap, I feel like the person didn't understand how to communicate very effectively which coupled with the stories all over the internet of this companies service made me feel like I might end up as one of those stories.
I was posting this in here not for you to judge the tone that you think i wrote it in, which you obviously couldn't because I was not upset and I am not arrogant person at all.
I was simply trying to see if anyone else has had this problem so I don't have to send my favorite toy off not knowing when I would ever get it back.
My advice to you.....stop assuming you know what tone is being typed because you cant, if you think thats clear and you have to deal with customers that are upset at you constantly maybe you should think about some short of class on effective communication, maybe it isnt the customers that are the problem.
SHEESH

Next time just call the repair center in California

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Next time just call the repair center in California

I think thats who I was on hold for before that for 30min? I donno, when I saw the chat pop up I just hung up. I didnt expect there to be a difference in service or who I was even speaking to between the two. I'll try WD40 before I send it off, hopefully that will work.

Loved the conversation!! Even if it's a bit late, always buy from Apple!! My P4's camera broke (no crash, just stopped working). Walked out les then 5 minutes later with brand new P4 with-ought even asking!! Conversation went like this:

Hello! How can I help you sir?
Hello(I agree you should ALWAYS be nice:) I bought this drone a month ago and the camera doesn't work anymore.
No problem sir, let me get you a replacement. After 3 minutes, with ZERO questions asked, she came, took another minute to sort receipt and I was out!

I guess Apple have a very strong policy with the companies whose products they sale!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik