RAW

Reaction score
OK, a naive question from someone who is not an expert digital photographer.

I am using a Hero 3+ Black with Protune on. I have WB set to RAW. Should I be expecting files in a format which is not JPEG ? The files are JPEG and even though it could be that they are JPEG with 0 compression applied, though it is hard to tell because the compression field in the file metadata is not filled in whether Protune is on or off.

Also I have ISO-400 set, the file details say ISO-100.

Does anyone used the RAW setting ?

Explanations please. Thanks!

Is it maybe a stills version of Protune? Not a clue really. I just use Protune all the time.

I'm not familiar with GoPros but most likely it will record a JPG as well as the RAW file, and you are only seeing the JPG because you need suitable software to view it and convert it later after doing any adjustment.
Saving the RAW file preserves more data, as soon as a JPG is made from the RAW, you can't change it again without losing some quality.
For typical user this might not matter much and if you aren't used to dealing with RAW files from other cameras there probably isn't much point filling up your hard drive with them.

4wd said:
I'm not familiar with GoPros but most likely it will record a JPG as well as the RAW file, and you are only seeing the JPG because you need suitable software to view it and convert it later after doing any adjustment.
Saving the RAW file preserves more data, as soon as a JPG is made from the RAW, you can't change it again without losing some quality.
For typical user this might not matter much and if you aren't used to dealing with RAW files from other cameras there probably isn't much point filling up your hard drive with them.

There does not seem to be anything but JPGs (at the file system level) and LightRoom is not offering to convert anything to .DNG files so I dont think it thinks there is anything else there. LR just imports the JPGs from the SD card.

IrishSights said:
Is it maybe a stills version of Protune? Not a clue really. I just use Protune all the time.
Interesting thought. Could it be that Protune is not applicable to stills.

H3+B does not have a ProTune setting for photos. The H4B does. White balance setting has no influence on file format.

ianwood said:
H3+B does not have a ProTune setting for photos. The H4B does. White balance setting has no influence on file format.
Brilliant. That makes sense. Thanks for posting.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20