Range setting?

Reaction score
Should I keep my range setting on the software set at the default 2000m or will bumping it up to the highest make any difference?
I have it at 2000m range but I only seem to get a range of 2000ft. I only tested this once across a frozen lake I live near and got to the local store before my Phantom stopped at about 2000ft and started returning back to me not sure if it was because of trees blocking view of Phantom or if that's just as far as my stock 1.1.1 Phantom will go!

Also the funny thing is is that it didn't stop and go up 60 feet like it should have when it lost transmitter range it just went back toward me in another direction from the way I flew it toward some trees but missed by a few feet before I put it in ATTI mode and gained back control once it got close enough to me!! I was about a 100 to 150 off the ground, Does it still go up another 60 feet when it goes into RTH, Or did I have a fly away or in my case a Fly Toward?? lol.

The RTH algorithm logic is: if you are below 20 metres, ascend to 20 metres, then initiate the return. If you are at any height greater than 20m, maintain that height then initiate the return.

If you are flying far enough away that you feel a RTH due to control signal loss is a possibility then fly at a height that will clear anything between where the aircraft is and where its coming back to if those obstacles are taller than 20m...

Also, when the Phantom reaches or exceeds the range limit in the NAZA (default 2000m), the programmed behavior is to stop and fly slowly back down the track towards home location until it is back within the range limit, at which time it returns control to the pilot.

OI Photography said:
Also, when the Phantom reaches or exceeds the range limit in the NAZA (default 2000m), the programmed behavior is to stop and fly slowly back down the track towards home location until it is back within the range limit, at which time it returns control to the pilot.
Are there any physical/visual ques to tell you when it is returning control to the pilot?
I have not flown that far away yet but might start playing with that sort of distance and those settings in Naza soon when I upgrade my TX/RX.

PTCX said:
OI Photography said:
Are there any physical/visual ques to tell you when it is returning control to the pilot?
I have not flown that far away yet but might start playing with that sort of distance and those settings in Naza soon when I upgrade my TX/RX.

When I'm in failsafe mode (either transmitter off or with S1 switch on the stock P2 transmitter), the rear lights blink yellow. I don't know if you're able to see that at 2000m though. I know I won't. There are no indicators on the transmitter. A computerized transmitter with telemetry (and a telemetry receiver in the P2) should be able to tell you when the Phantom can see the transmitter again.

Okay I thought it went up another 60 feet in RTH know matter how far up you already are, That explains that. I had my FAT Shark FPV on and switched it back into ATTI when I thought it got close enough to me but it never gave me back control on it's own and I know it was close enough to have done it it's self but it just seemed like it wanted to head towards me but went off to the left over a road that I was avoiding when I sent it over the frozen lake! As soon as it got to where I felt it was safe to switch it I did and from my camera recording and watching in my FPV as soon as I switched it it went into a dive but I hit the throttle and got it back in control! Any way that was my first long distant flight and I plan on doing it again to get the hang of this and test my limits on it!

Has anyone notice more distant changes when they up the default setting from 2000 meters to the highest 10000 meters? Like I said I only got about 2000 feet more or less from the setting being on 2000 meters, Should I just but it on the highest setting or is 2000 feet all you can get out of the Phantom stock TX/RX?

krb said:
PTCX said:
OI Photography said:

When I'm in failsafe mode (either transmitter off or with S1 switch on the stock P2 transmitter), the rear lights blink yellow. I don't know if you're able to see that at 2000m though. I know I won't. There are no indicators on the transmitter. A computerized transmitter with telemetry (and a telemetry receiver in the P2) should be able to tell you when the Phantom can see the transmitter again.

If you loss transmitter signal shouldn't it only have to go a couple of feet back to you and your transmitter to get the signal back? I would just switch it back to ATTI as soon as it's heading back on it's own, Right?

phantomflyer said:
If you loss transmitter signal shouldn't it only have to go a couple of feet back to you and your transmitter to get the signal back? I would just switch it back to ATTI as soon as it's heading back on it's own, Right?

That should be the case, yes. But I've only ever done failsafe as a test when the P2 was pretty close (a hundred feet or less).

The return-to-home behavior is:
- Blink yellow
- Stabilize (This looks like GPS mode if it can get GPS lock).
- Wait three seconds.
- Fly up to 20m above home point altitude. If already >20m above home point altitude. Stay at that higher altitude
- Go straight to home point.
- Hover above home point for 15 seconds.
- Land.

Keep in mind the home point accuracy isn't perfect. It's been within 2-3m for me.

phantomflyer said:
How far you let it come back depends on how far it went beyond the range.
For instance if your flying in Atti mode and the Phantom gets caught by the wind,when it crosses the limit it may still travel 50 meters or so before failsafe cuts in,arrests it and turns it toward home.That has happened to me.
So it's a good idea to let it come back toward you for a good distance before taking back control.

Okay now how about the range setting. Is there anyone out there that has bumped up their range setting from 2000m up and noticed any difference? Oh and I noticed It go all the way to 100000m not 10000m like I put! 2000m is around 6562 feet but I only got 2000 feet so my guess is that even if I bump it up I will still get 2000 feet no matter what but if someone out there has got more footage by setting it to the highest setting let me know.

Plus what is the furthest in feet that any of you gone with a version 1.1.1 Phantom? I've seen people claim to go a Mile and a half which is around 8000 feet but I'm not sure if any of them where using stock TX/RX.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my question is so closely related to the explanation given, I thought I'd bounce this off the experts.

If I launch (after obtaining a solid home point) from a cliff that is several hundred feet ABOVE where I am flying, and I do the RTH feature, will it fly 20M above it's current location at the the time the RTH is triggered, or 20m above the initial starting point?

Specifically, if I launch from the rim of a canyon, and I lose communication while it's at the bottom, should I expect to watch it slam into the canyon wall, or will it come all the way above the rim?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20