Range of a P3 Advanced

Reaction score
My son and I were flying his new drone vertically to test how high we could go. At around 350 metres directly above and clear skies a warning showed that transmission was weak, why is this? I was under the impression that a p3 Advanced was capable of of 4-5 times further.

Maximum altitude is 500m.
Sounds like it was because you were flying it directly above you, this dramatically reduces the signal due to the orientation of the antennas on the TX. Fly the AC away from you, not above! Where in the world are you located?

I'm in central of the UK
Right, well, the maximum altitude you can legally fly here in the U.K. is 400ft from the point of take off, so you were getting close to three times this altitude!
My advise is set the max altitude at 400ft in the GO app.
1,500ft is the maximum (vertical) altitude attainable, which is set in the software and this cannot be overridden. The horizontal distance for the P3 within Europe is 2.1 miles, albeit I have achieved 3.2 miles outside the U.K. using a windsurfer; local conditions do have a significant impact on performance however, such as wifi interference, trees, buildings etc.
However, the maximum legal distance you can fly in the U.K. is 500m; this is to maintain VLOS (Visual Line Of Sight) so in other words, so you can still see it!

Last edited:
My son and I were flying his new drone vertically to test how high we could go. At around 350 metres directly above and clear skies a warning showed that transmission was weak, why is this? I was under the impression that a p3 Advanced was capable of of 4-5 times further.
Here's a video explaining the best antenna orientation when flying.

Reactions: Surrealplaces
I was able to fly my Phantom 3 Advanced just over 6 kms away (about 300 feet up in the air) in the Canadian Wilderness quite easily, as there was no interference around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav