Range, Line of Sight, FPV

Reaction score
Please help straighten out my mind as I think I'm going slightly crazy right now.
With a lot of people talking about range and/or lack of etc, I have now done my head in completely. I hope this is not too long a story.
I live West Coast of Cebu in the Philippines and own 2 beach properties about 1km apart. In my mind the plan was to fly the AC to and from each property, of course there are zillions of coconut trees in between so I would set the appropriate altitude to avoid collision of course. I would however not be able to see my AC all the time, and be relying on GPS and FPV , if of course I have FPV with trees in between me and my bird. I now really don't know what to do. If I could fly the round trip once, I'm guessing the flight would be logged and easily repeated time and time again? I suppose my question is if there are a few trees between me and the AC will it render it impossible, to do what I planned? The fly route would entail being at about 30 metres to start-and down to 5 metres then back up to 30 metres on RTH ,pretty well all out of sight.

Last edited:
Personally, I would plan the route in Google earth, upload to the Litchi website then fly the route using the Litchi app on whatever device you connect to your RC.

Mission can be planned, saved with name of your choice, and then played/repeated again and again as you need.

Find some explanation (not my video)

Last edited:
I hope there's a good reason you want to take this risk. Can you explain why you need to land 1KM away? And will you be taking off and returning? Will you be transporting something?

Hi, no I don't intend to land on the other property , it is really a surveillance mission to make sure that my other property is secure. These will be random missions and a complete round trip there and back each time. Thanks for the video !

Beware Phantom altitude is sometimes not acurate so drone might fly lower than it should be: consider some buffer with altitude settings. And might vary depending weather etc. Also use "UAV Forecast" app or similar to check local status before lauching the craft.

And don't send him right away with full 1km mission but test and test and test by starting with little missions close to you.

Property surveillance with trees:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bermuda Sunset
This sounds like a good use for Litchi autonomous flight. With time and multiple tuning flights you could create a fixed flight path that would be identical each time to survey your property. Even if the craft lost connection the mission will complete as programmed. That's what I'd do in your case.

Hi, no I don't intend to land on the other property , it is really a surveillance mission to make sure that my other property is secure. These will be random missions and a complete round trip there and back each time. Thanks for the video !

You can do this in a safe manner and repeating it over and over with the FPV Camera App.
This is a rock solid application used also for professional purposes.
Just be prepared that you might loose video signal or rc signal or both at times, depending on the topography between the properties and the hights you are flying.
But it always comes back with the recorded video material.

Thanks for the good advice RemyHeli, I am hoping that as all my missions will start at about 2 metres above sea level, i.e., Home Point,,everything will be a little more accurate. Well hoping anyway !

Sorry, but a quick question, do all the obstacle avoidance sensors work in the Litchi App, and on RTH If I set the last waypoint very close to Home and at a good altitude would the AC performing final action i.e. RTH at end of mission, come down/land almost vertically. Hope that makes sense !

Yes they do work on the Litchi app. I normally complete the waypoint missions by reducing height in increments over the last 5 waypoint, slow the craft from cruise to 4mph and reach the last waypoint and just hover in place then land manually, that allows for minor adjustments on landing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4