Range Issues, Advice Needed

Reaction score
First Post! I bought a P2V off Craigslist and the seller made a few claims about "always landed into hands" and never crashed, only flown 5 times, ect. The first time I flew it, it went into RTH mode at 64 ft (yes feet) of range, I also noticed all the props were the bootleg XOXOXO versions so something happened to the originals along the way.

I did some research and switched the transmitter to FCC mode, that helped somewhat but I'm still getting RTH at just less than 300 feet in a totally clear rural field. After looking at the two antenna wires that exit by the landing gear, one is missing the pointed section that sticks out past the end, I suspect that could be causing the range problems?

Instead of fixing the originals, I'd rather replace them with a pair of cloverleaf or similar antennas, but I'm confused after researching and seeing conflicting info as to what to get? Right now I'm happy with the stock range (if it worked). I've got a background flying r/c heli's and jets, and I do circuit board work for a living, so I'm comfortable working on the Phantom. A 4mm GPS antenna is on the way from Mouser already :)

Welcome to the forum Pacman .
If you be happy with stock range then I would just install a new 5.8 board with the stock antennas
That black goo of death you gonna have to get off is a pain ! Plenty of You Tubes on it and doing other mods
and if you go the other way then you gonna have to mod your 2.4 for your FPV.
Here's what you need and lots of places have em but this is it ,http://www.helipal.com/phantom2-16-dji-phantom-2-phantom-2-vision-receiver.htmll
As far as replacing the GPS antenna .. where you having an issue getting Sat's ? Did you try the GPS booster mod ?
You kinda leave out a lot of information on just what you want to do .
Look around in the P2V Mod's section and see what all have done and then decide just what you want to spend and how
far you want to go with this :) Lots of info here and use the search in my signature to help you find anything .

Reactions: Clampit
Thanks for the reply Dirkclod, that link was perfect. I was thinking of getting "a little" more range at the same time as doing the repair, so I wondered about changing the antennas. As for the GPS, yes, it seems to take a while to lock and reading through a thread of mods here by J Dot, I decided to add a 4 mm antenna since Mouser is one of the vendors I already use. I also ordered the GPS shield mentioned in his thread.

So the black goo is retaining the antenna to board connectors? I haven't looked yet, but I do have several solvents that are PCB safe to try. In the link you provided, I'm definitely missing part of the antenna below the fatter end.

One more question: is it possible to bind a Rev 3 transmitter with the gimbal dial to the P2V?

Thanks for the reply Dirkclod, that link was perfect. I was thinking of getting "a little" more range at the same time as doing the repair, so I wondered about changing the antennas. As for the GPS, yes, it seems to take a while to lock and reading through a thread of mods here by J Dot, I decided to add a 4 mm antenna since Mouser is one of the vendors I already use. I also ordered the GPS shield mentioned in his thread.

So the black goo is retaining the antenna to board connectors? I haven't looked yet, but I do have several solvents that are PCB safe to try. In the link you provided, I'm definitely missing part of the antenna below the fatter end.

One more question: is it possible to bind a Rev 3 transmitter with the gimbal dial to the P2V?
Not sure what you talking about bro . Rev 3 ? I use the P2V+ V3 TX with mine that has the scroll wheel if that's what you are referring to .
That black goo....don't take it all off if you go that route as the little connecter is held down with it . You will be replacing that board if ya not careful !
Don't ask :rolleyes:

Also if you gonna go ahead for more distance ya gonna have to mod the TX too . I have at the moment the stage 3 FPVLR antennas on mine and get around 8500' with mine .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1