Range Extender upgrade - ugh

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to breakout the P2V which had been sitting for a few months. When I first turned it on everything worked and the DJI Vision app connected to the P2V. Then I got a message to upgrade the extender... Big mistake. Now the DJI Vision app won't connect to the P2V. As soon as I try I get a message that says failed to connect to phantom. After searching for other people with the same problem most claim that the wifi module is bad on the camera and that the camera isn't broadcasting??? My situation is different I guess. After the range extender upgrade I could no longer connect the app to my P2V. I noticed during the multiple attempts at rebinding the extender to the camera that the SSID of the camera is supposed to be FC200_XXXXXX but my camera is broadcasting a non hidden SSID of Phantom_XXXXXX just like the extender??? I was able to telnet in to the camera (validating that the wifi module is working) and change the wireless config to broadcast an FC200_XXXXXX. I had hoped that this would have fixed the problem but it appears to me that the update also changed something else. Perhaps the correct services aren't running in the camera or something. Do any of you much smarter folks out there have any ideas? I am pretty tech savy and think I can fix this if I knew what services/settings to look at. Does anyone have a software backup of the FC200 camera that might have these settings? Is anyone willing to try and get a backup of the files/settings so I can try and figure out what happened? This is extremely frustrating and I opened a tech support ticket with DJI but don't have high hopes based on what I have seen others say about support...
Please help... any guidance would be appreciated!!!!

I have the same problem. I did the upgrade now the app is completely useless. I can't see any live camera feed or anything. Why does DJI have to push out these updates that break things when everything works perfectly before? This is frustrating. You seem to have tried a few things but I don't have any idea on how to resolve this issue other than trying to go through DJI support.

Sorry to hear that they got you too... It makes me want to never update anything in the future.

I did contact DJI support and this was their reply:

"We are sorry to hear about the issue with your DJI Product. We recommend sending your product into our North American Support center, for diagnosis and repair. Please reply with the below info, so we can arrange for a RMA repair. If you have any questions, please be sure to ask them in your reply. We look forward to assisting you soon!
First and Last Name:
Shipping Address (no PO box):
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Brief Description of damage or technical issue:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried to fix the issue before contacting support:
Do you have DJI Care:
(If yes, please include a copy of your DJI Care proof of purchase with your RMA.)

Regards,

DJI Customer Support"

More than likely if I do choose to send it in they will charge me to fix it. Something they broke in the first place. If I can figure something out I will post it here.

Sorry to hear that they got you too... It makes me want to never update anything in the future.

I did contact DJI support and this was their reply:

"We are sorry to hear about the issue with your DJI Product. We recommend sending your product into our North American Support center, for diagnosis and repair. Please reply with the below info, so we can arrange for a RMA repair. If you have any questions, please be sure to ask them in your reply. We look forward to assisting you soon!
First and Last Name:
Shipping Address (no PO box):
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Brief Description of damage or technical issue:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried to fix the issue before contacting support:
Do you have DJI Care:
(If yes, please include a copy of your DJI Care proof of purchase with your RMA.)

Regards,

DJI Customer Support"

More than likely if I do choose to send it in they will charge me to fix it. Something they broke in the first place. If I can figure something out I will post it here.
Thanks! I am a victim of this upgrade as well. As of now its worthless! ugh!!

Ditto here... RE upgrade seemed to have bricked my RE. I was able to go back to an earlier DJI Vision app (v 1.0.48) which I heard would help, and just received a new range extender today in case the upgrade bricked my previous RE. After binding, I'm still not closer to fixing the "Connection to Phantom failed" message... I think a call to DJI support is in order but wanted to post my problem here in case anyone posts a solution before DJI support helps me out...

It makes me want to never update anything in the future.

The last time I upgraded anything was for the Ground Station. What's that - about a year ago? I just don't care. I don't have any "smart battery" software, no electronic fence, nothing. It's what the Phantom used to be. I'm in charge of my aircraft - period. I use Limefuel batteries with no problem. My distance isn't as great as new pilots claim, but I only want to go as far as I can easily see my bird. ;)

Reactions: crash1sttime
I also upgraded mine on the 25th and lost all Connectivity. This is an extremely frustrating issue, effectively bricking my $700 unit until I either get a replacement range extender or repair this one. I have tried rebinding multiple times, but as soon as I bind the range extender, it stops broadcasting wifi. Resetting the binding makes it starts broadcasting the wifi signal again, but it is now stuck in a loop where as soon as I bind it stops. If anyone has had any luck with either repairing it themselves or getting help from DJI Customer Service, please let us know.

It must be something with the DJI app upgrade. We all got the problem at the same time. Odds are astronomical that so many people would have the same software problem at the same time. Still no closer to fixing it. I've never updated my Phantom and I've never had a problem till I was asked to do an upgrade to my wifi extender. I guess DJI is in need of more money, so they made a problem only they can fix. Job security I guess.

Exact same thing happened to me. Have been dealing with customer support for two weeks now. They want me to send it in for repair, but wont give an estimate of cost. They know what the update did to our drones. They should fix them for free! I,m just going to keep pestering them with e-mails. fyi JDOT says its a board in the camera that is burnt.

Class action lawsuit... They don't seem to want to take any responsibility for taking down hundreds of thousands of drones in one fell 'upgrade'.

If you're reading this DJI, a CAL is headed your way.

I was looking through the files on my android phone and found under the DJI folder a file called sysupdate.bin, it got quickly deleted.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I also upgraded my range extender on my Phantom 2 Vision and now everything works except I cannot see the live camera feed. I am likely going to purchase a new Phantom. Let me know if anyone wants to purchase this Phantom 2 Vision that needs TBD repair to fix the live camera feed issue. ([email protected])

I also upgraded my range extender on my Phantom 2 Vision and now everything works except I cannot see the live camera feed. I am likely going to purchase a new Phantom. Let me know if anyone wants to purchase this Phantom 2 Vision that needs TBD repair to fix the live camera feed issue. ([email protected])
did your wifi detects camera signal ?
am looking for a good vision 2 camera

Would like to know why DJI is sending out updates to software that they don't support any longer. You don't see Microsoft sending out updates to Win XP. :)

I have the same problem and get pissed everytime I look at my pack that has my P2V in it.
Will replacing the camera fix the problem or is there something inside the drone that needs to be replaced?

Ditto here... RE upgrade seemed to have bricked my RE. I was able to go back to an earlier DJI Vision app (v 1.0.48) which I heard would help, and just received a new range extender today in case the upgrade bricked my previous RE. After binding, I'm still not closer to fixing the "Connection to Phantom failed" message... I think a call to DJI support is in order but wanted to post my problem here in case anyone posts a solution before DJI support helps me out...

Good news... I went through the DJI support process and described my problem. They asked me to send in my drone. Then yesterday DJI sent me a new Phantom 3 Standard in exchange for the Phantom 2 Vision that I had sent in. Didn't expect a brand new device but kudos DJI for stepping up and making this right!!!

Good news... I went through the DJI support process and described my problem. They asked me to send in my drone. Then yesterday DJI sent me a new Phantom 3 Standard in exchange for the Phantom 2 Vision that I had sent in. Didn't expect a brand new device but kudos DJI for stepping up and making this right!!!

That is fantastic news. Did you suffer the same problem as the rest of us? Anything you did or said while speaking to customer service? I would be highly inclined to go this route if it is something they will do for anyone affected by this problem.

That is fantastic news. Did you suffer the same problem as the rest of us? Anything you did or said while speaking to customer service? I would be highly inclined to go this route if it is something they will do for anyone affected by this problem.

I didn't do anything special. I noticed on this thread (and others) that everyone was ticked off (threatening lawsuits and such) and knew I'd get nowhere if I took an adversarial approach. So I simply reported to "DJI Support" that I had a problem that I thought was linked to the automatic upgrade of either the range extender or the app... and asked them what to do. They instructed me to send my remote and drone to them and they would determine the problem. Since it was "bricked", I determined there was little risk and wondered it they would assess the problem and tell me the cost to fix it. Then I'd have a choice of whether to pay up or not. However, after a few weeks I got notice that they were sending a package back to me and assumed they had fixed my drone and were sending it back. Instead, I received a brand-new Phantom 3 Standard in the box.

I didn't do anything special. I noticed on this thread (and others) that everyone was ticked off (threatening lawsuits and such) and knew I'd get nowhere if I took an adversarial approach. So I simply reported to "DJI Support" that I had a problem that I thought was linked to the automatic upgrade of either the range extender or the app... and asked them what to do. They instructed me to send my remote and drone to them and they would determine the problem. Since it was "bricked", I determined there was little risk and wondered it they would assess the problem and tell me the cost to fix it. Then I'd have a choice of whether to pay up or not. However, after a few weeks I got notice that they were sending a package back to me and assumed they had fixed my drone and were sending it back. Instead, I received a brand-new Phantom 3 Standard in the box.

I'd love to know more. Right now I'm in an email exchange with DJI customer service and they are trying to tell me that I need to pay $200 to repair my broken P2V that they caused.

What magical words should I be using to receive the new drone? Thanks in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31